SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Deer hit alongside my house.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer hit alongside my house. Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
On Monday nights I take a 2 hour guitar class that gets out at 9:30 at a vocational school close to my house. This past Monday I didn't stay and talk to the guys since I was scheduled to work on base which means I get up early to get through security which is a very long line.

As I turn the corner to my house I see a car hit a deer which ran off my lawn. The deer is in the middle of the road and can't get up, her back legs were not moving, really sad sight. At 9:45 I called the local police and ask if I can dispatch the doe as I don't want the animal to suffer, but I also don't want to get charged with firing a firearm in a residential area. I am told to hold on and the police will arrive. At 7:30 the next morning the police arrive and shoot the doe. Pisses me off they left the animal to suffer all night over 9 hours.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rtquig,

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fix the Freudian slip in your title.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. That is pretty bad. They were either awful busy or just do not care?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Fix the Freudian slip in your title.

Rushing the post to get dinner out of the oven before it burned. It's been one of those weeks.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Wow. That is pretty bad. They were either awful busy or just do not care?

I don't know what the problem was. I have called them late at night when cars are parked alongside my house tossing beer cans on my yard. They usually show up right away. Across the street is a Federal Reserve and that draws quite a few of the younger crowd to party. Every few years it gets going, the police come and they go away for a year or two. Now if the wind blows off the bay, the deer really smells bad. I was thinking a few bags of lime, but I was hoping the Turkey Buzzards would take care of it.
If it ever happens again I won't call. I would hate to have to cut it to bleed out but I can't see to see an animal suffer like that for hours on end.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
perhaps a call to the Highway dept. (state or county ) or the Jersey D.N.R.
might have gotten a quicker responce

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar thing happened... Deer hit a car that was traveling near me....

I stopped to make sure driver was OK - as the windshield was caved in.

Deer was over in the grass about 40 yds away kicking around and in distress. I checked to make sure other driver was OK. Then called police who said it would be a while before a supervisor could be on scene to deal with deer but they'd send an officer to check on the other driver in 10 min.

So, I pulled my truck between the crashed vehicle and the deer. Told them to stay with their vehicle as police was on the way.

I walked over to the deer and calmly drew my concealed 229 and shot the injured deer in the head.

Police showed up shortly thereafter and asked how the deer got shot. I said some guy in a black jeep pulled up - shot the deer and drove off mumbling about "not right to have animals in distress". Cop asked me if I was sticking to this story.

I smiled as I said YEP.

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
In the fall a deer was hit in front of my exwife’s house. I get there to walk my son to school (father walk day) and I’m wondering why a local cop is standing next to the deer. I walk over and he said he shot it once in the heart before all the kids starting walking to school but it has been ten minutes so he is waiting for someone to bring a shotgun. I was appalled. I identified myself and shot it once in the head. After walking my son to school and did stuff there it was 15 minutes later when I walked back and he was still standing there. As I was leaving his supervisor shows up finally and he points me out. I just waved and drove home. He would’ve let that deer suffer the entire time.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it is better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission, but these days.....

I once dispatched a wounded deer on US 50 near the CA/NV border. An officer came along as I was walking away with a pistol. He ended up thanking me, never even asked my name.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Maybe their command decided that they'd wait until a better hour to fire a round in a residential area? Either way it sucks for the deer.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I would hate to have to cut it to bleed out but I can't see to see an animal suffer like that for hours on end.

when I started hunting one of my mentors said never get close enough to an injured deer to 'cut' it. They can still move legs and those hoofs are sharp. Would hate to see you injured. Got a bow?

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
In the fall a deer was hit in front of my exwife’s house. I get there to walk my son to school (father walk day) and I’m wondering why a local cop is standing next to the deer. I walk over and he said he shot it once in the heart before all the kids starting walking to school but it has been ten minutes so he is waiting for someone to bring a shotgun. I was appalled. I identified myself and shot it once in the head. After walking my son to school and did stuff there it was 15 minutes later when I walked back and he was still standing there. As I was leaving his supervisor shows up finally and he points me out. I just waved and drove home. He would’ve let that deer suffer the entire time.

I saw a friend shoot an injured deer twice in the head with a .380. I didn't have a pistol but borrowed his and shot it about 2 inches behind the eye. Hate to see an animal suffer.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
quote:
I would hate to have to cut it to bleed out but I can't see to see an animal suffer like that for hours on end.

when I started hunting one of my mentors said never get close enough to an injured deer to 'cut' it. They can still move legs and those hoofs are sharp. Would hate to see you injured. Got a bow?

As a matter of fact yes. It didn't even cross my mind to use the compound bow.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
quote:

That I thought about, but my thought was to come up from behind. Her rear legs were not moving, every time she tried to move it was only her from legs that would work. Although I have never seen it happen, I have heard that people have been killed when they hit a deer and it comes in through the windshield and kicks them to death. Heard that about Moose also.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
That happened to a retired Chicago Police Officer recently. Retird,moved out of the city to he country. Hit a deer, deer ended up inside his car and kicked him to death.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I went into the woods today to see what the deer looked like since I could no longer smell it. The Turkey Buzzards have picked it nearly clean. There is some fur and bones.

Living the Dream

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Maybe a call to the game warden would have been faster.

It does suck, indeed. I would have been reluctant to shoot it myself. It probably depends on where you are. Around my house, I probably would have shot it, but we are out in the woods, and it is sort of a red-necky area and the local sheriff or constable wouldn't bat an eye. (By which I mean nothing negative.) But I wouldn't shoot an injured deer in the Houston city limits.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Maybe a call to the game warden would have been faster.

It does suck, indeed. I would have been reluctant to shoot it myself. It probably depends on where you are. Around my house, I probably would have shot it, but we are out in the woods, and it is sort of a red-necky area and the local sheriff or constable wouldn't bat an eye. (By which I mean nothing negative.) But I wouldn't shoot an injured deer in the Houston city limits.

That late at night I wouldn't know how to contact the game warden. The police did send out animal control but they did nothing but sit there all night. Fish and Wildlife I believe are the ones that would handle the situation but I have not in the past had a good experience with their response time. I wonder if it is because that piece of woods is part of a Federal Reserve? At an estimate there where 3 houses each about 250' from where the Doe was lying.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My house is 298.
Behind/alongside you can see a small bridge with fresh water behind my house and salt water on the opposite side. The deer was lying at first in the middle of the road on my side of the water. Animal control pulled it onto a path about 10' into the woods. The woods and corner of my house are on Federal property.

Living the Dream