SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bad cod fish from Kroger's?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad cod fish from Kroger's? Login/Join 
posted
Purchased a cod filet from Kroger's & my wife fried it. Put the first bite in my mouth & got a strong smell of ammonia. The smell was not noticed by my wife when unpackaged & during cooking. Was it soaked in ammonia or rotten on the inside? Years ago stopped buying meat or fish from Krogers & just this one time tried Krogers again.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
...Years ago stopped buying meat or fish from Krogers & just this one time tried Krogers again.

They've been saving it all these years, just for you! Big Grin

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Purchased a cod filet from Kroger's & my wife fried it. Put the first bite in my mouth & got a strong smell of ammonia. The smell was not noticed by my wife when unpackaged & during cooking. Was it soaked in ammonia or rotten on the inside? Years ago stopped buying meat or fish from Krogers & just this one time tried Krogers again.

Probably thawed out then refrozen. Some Walmart stores are guilty of that.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t find any cod filets at Costco the other day and a worker in the meat department said they probably wouldn’t have any for another month when they’ve accumulated enough.

Apparently it’s a seasonal catch that is stockpiled frozen in storage to be distributed over time.

An HEB meat market guy once told me they receive their cod frozen in 50 lb. blocks that have to be thawed to separate the filets.

Isn’t ammonia a component of a flash freezing operation on a commercial fishing boat?

Thanks for the post. I’ll be giving the filets I buy the sniff test from now on.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
EBT mom picked it up, left it in the tampon isle after she decides she no longer wants it, it gets put back after it ferments for a bit.

I never grab the first package of anything, anywhere. I reach in the back.

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe there where having a sale on left-over lutefisk. Roll Eyes
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to me last Friday except I cooked it and my wife said it didn't taste right. I didn't notice it until the last bite, it was just a slight ammonia taste. Unlike the OP I buy the majority of my meat and fish from Kroger with no issues but this one time.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Is that the one that the one use for bait in the crab boats in Alaska?
Seems to me the brenna a fishes for it and his crew bitches about it.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sodium Triphosphate. Grocery stores and other places that sell cheap shellfish and seafood. The seafood is soaked on it and it makes them retain up to 30% more water (so you're paying 25% more than the cheap price anyways because the water melts off). I'm mildly allergic to it, if I eat shellfish treated with it, I get hot and then have to hit the restroom for one good #2 session about an hour after I eat it. The frozen bags of fish/shellfish will usually state that it is in there.

Here's a good article on it.
http://www.yourfibrosupport.co...ium-tripolyphosphate

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Kroger gets Cod in both fresh (seasonal) and frozen

typically less than a few days old when fresh arrives in the store, and typically a 2-3 day shelf life,

many many factors can cause it to spoil quicker, (all based on time and temp)

I used to work for them

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've had the same thing happen to me at Kroger. I unwrapped it 24 hours after purchasing what was marked as fresh.

Took it back for a refund. Now the only supermarket fish I will buy is from Meijer. So far so good.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ammonia results from the putrefaction of proteins. So as the fish rots it smells like ammonia. Old fish or thawed too long fish.

Posts: 3 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post