SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chicken Wing Pricing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken Wing Pricing Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
I love buffalo wings, seriously love them.

In 2003 wing night at Bdubs was 20 cents per wing. A man could get a dozen wings and a beer for $5. If you went to the dive bars, you might score the ever elusive 10 cent wing night. As the prices slowly approached one dollar per wing I took it on the chin. NO MORE! That is my cutoff, when I have to pay $12 for a dozen wings, I will swear them off.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Our local Winn-Dixie supermarket has a Wing Bar. You can fill a take-home bucket. Six bucks / pound, if I remember correctly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
the quarter/20 cent/10 cent wings are almost always the tiny little things that the food service guys are trying to get rid of.

Bars host those nights because they know they'll increase beer sales, which more than makes up for the pennies they make on the wings themselves.

Problem is, you're talking about BWW. Overpriced shit, in my opinion. The wings just aren't that good, the portions aren't great, and you pay through the nose for the food AND the beer.

It's a shame, because it's an awesome concept. But you have them everywhere now, in malls etc and so people gladly saunter in and pay $100 in wings and bar tab for a couple people during a game, so they don't have any need to discount things to bring people in anymore.

We have two local places here that are still sort of expensive, but they're legitimately gourmet wings. I'd go there any time over BWW. I hate that place.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
1 part butter 3 parts Franks Red Hot. Sprinkle of garlic and onion powder and dash of oregano. Microwave until bubbling. Stir. Toss cooked chicken drums and wingettes in sauce until coated.

I cook the wings either on the grill or oven, extra crispy.

I know why they charge so much, I hate cleaning the Pyrex cooking dish I use to cook them. I don't have a fryer, but I am guessing that makes things even easier.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post

Posts: 953 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the cost of doing business in 2003 was less than it is today. I know the wholesale price of chicken wings was less then.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
I've tried bone wings - too much hassle and mess for to little meat. Give me some big juicy boneless wings any time.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the cost of doing business in 2003 was less than it is today. I know the wholesale price of chicken wings was less then.

5 times as much? Why isn't the beer $10 a bottle?

I've tried bone wings - too much hassle and mess for to little meat. Give me some big juicy boneless wings any time.

Boneless wings are all breading. Teeth grinding against bone, chewing on gristle, all part of the joy that is fried chicken.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a close friend that owns a bar and grill... His wings are VERY popular and he's had to raise his prices nearly every year simply to cover costs. The suppliers all state that wings are the 'trendy' food right now - chickens only have two of them and a 'serving' is at least 6 (3 chickens worth) - all of that adds up to higher costs. Beer/booze prices have also increased, but not nearly as much since its much easier to scale that sort of production and there are hundreds of new breweries popping up each year to provide the latest trendy brew.

I'll take a real wing any day over a chicken nugget. Much more flavor.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Inflation man, doesn't seem that long ago in High School it was quarter beers and dollar pitchers (yeah it was legal at 18 back then Cool).

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
<<<<see my cut?

Until a year ago I was a foodservice driver for one of the biggest restairant purveyors in the country.

When I left last April wing prices were something around $2.29/lb. wholesale.

Add that to the new minimum wages...boom. Inflation.

Now to patiently await a new cut offer or ten year anniversary...I never thought I'd leave that job...

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
same with ribs

I can not see paying for ribs, when we go out to eat , it's nuts.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wings are popular, beer, tv's, barely dressed women, and wings. They have gotten crazy, used to order 20 for $10, now it's a buck a wing, $24 with tip and tea... So now I order 10 or 12 depending on the places offers.

The best wings are from Costco, party pack, $19 for 70+ wings, I do a couple of the sections (its multi section sealed) marinade overnight, season, and smoke them on the Traeger.

V-tail next time you are in publix grab a box of the wings they cook up in the deli, unbreaded and hot, 20 for $10.... Good stuff.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Yep. From the late 90s until maybe 2002 or 2003 when it closed, I remember going to a place back home and getting ten cent wings and $3 pitchers. For $10, including tip, you'd be fat & happy.

It was awesome.

Note: Normally, their wings were 25 cents each; 10 cent wings was only their Wednesday night special. And the place was PACKED if you went during normal hours. But the kitchen stayed open all night (fryers only), so you could get wings up until 4 AM if you were nice to the bartender.

There was another place back home that used to do 99 cent/dozen wings and 99 cent/hand snow crab legs and 99 cent/dozen steamed or raw clams.

THAT place was only open till like 9PM IIRC, and there was usually a waiting list out the door. I think it was on Mondays? Tuesdays maybe? But they didn't take reservations, either, so good luck!!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 2003 wing night at Bdubs was 20 cents per wing.

In 2003 I made 30% less money and had more to spare.
In 2003 I could bend over and tie my shoes without blueface.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best wings are from Costco, party pack, $19 for 70+ wings, I do a couple of the sections (its multi section sealed) marinade overnight, season, and smoke them on the Traeger.

Smoked wings are delicious. I've been buying the bottles of sauce from Bdubs for tossing after they are smoked.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What you are seeing is a textbook case of the law of supply and demand in action.

Remember each chicken only has 2 of them and their popularity has skyrocketed in the past 20 years.

I remember them being 10 cents a wing back in the mid-90's!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prior to 2000 there was a nice place in town wings were free at the bar on Tuesdays, I was a regular anyways but Tuesday was the night. I will deep fry them at home on occasion but clean up is not the most fun. Wings out are usually $9-$10 a pound but you can buy them for $2.99lb and sometimes less on sale for fresh not frozen.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My grandmother (born in 1917) used to complain that bread should cost 10 cents a loaf.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post