SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chicken Wing Pricing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken Wing Pricing Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For the guys saying there is only 2 wings per chicken, you're neglecting the way they butcher it to make it 4 wings per chicken.

They're discarding the tip, but serving the drumette and wingette as separate pieces.

Prices have gotten ridiculous at restaurants but not at the grocery store. Also, I like my homemade wings better and I do either the:
  • 30-20-10 method on my BGE or
  • Alton Brown's oven method

30-20-10 is a more complex, layered flavor and it's my favorite way.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23200 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of RichardC
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:

[img]Boneless Chicken Ranch [/img]

Octogenarian Day at the Chicken Ranch in Nevada?

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    posted March 16, 2017 07:02 AM Hide Post
    For the guys saying there is only 2 wings per chicken, you're neglecting the way they butcher it to make it 4 wings per chicken.

They're discarding the tip, but serving the drumette and wingette as separate pieces.

I was just about to mention this. Four "wings" per bird.

This dump by my house sells the entire wing, tip and all. Markets them as "jumbo". Sometimes they still have pinfeathers and the occasional claw!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:Sometimes they still have pinfeathers and the occasional claw!

Pterodactyl wings?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:

Prices have gotten ridiculous at restaurants but not at the grocery store. Also, I like my homemade wings better and I do either the:
  • 30-20-10 method on my BGE or
  • Alton Brown's oven method

30-20-10 is a more complex, layered flavor and it's my favorite way.

• Some places do that.

Better places serve them as one single piece and allow you to have all the fun.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ice age heat wave,
    cant complain.
    Picture of MikeGLI
    posted Hide Post
    I rarely go out for wings. I prefer to grill or bake them. I like making my own sauces or using Franks straight, not the butter sauce.

$1.00 per wing is absurd, and that seems to be the going rate.

NRA Life Member
    Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Delusions of Adequacy
    Picture of zoom6zoom
    posted Hide Post
    We had a great place where I used to work that had a ten cent night, and their wings were excellent, very meaty and perfectly crunchy. We used to go in with the entire work crew and order up platters of a couple hundred of them.

Sadly both the workplace and the bar are gone.

BWW is horrid, I wouldn't go in there to use the bathroom.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeGLI:
    I rarely go out for wings. I prefer to grill or bake them. I like making my own sauces or using Franks straight, not the butter sauce.

A tiny bit of butter melted into the Frank's helps it adhere to the wings. Trust me.

Yes, the butter "waters down" the heat of straight Frank's, but you can overcome that by adding a bit of something hotter, like a few dashes of tobasco or habanero.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ice age heat wave,
    cant complain.
    Picture of MikeGLI
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by exx1976:
    quote:

A tiny bit of butter melted into the Frank's helps it adhere to the wings. Trust me.

Yes, the butter "waters down" the heat of straight Frank's, but you can overcome that by adding a bit of something hotter, like a few dashes of tobasco or habanero.

I'll give it a shot. The franks wing sauce with butter is too much for me.

NRA Life Member
    Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I prefer just baking my own. I used to deep fry but baking is so much easier for only slight decrease in tastiness. Much cheaper for not much work if baking them yourself.

What irritated me the most was the upcharges for extra dipping sauces. I like my homemade ranch better anyway.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by exx1976:
    quote:

I'll give it a shot. The franks wing sauce with butter is too much for me.

Yeah, goodness no. Don't buy the "Frank's wing sauce" nonsense.

Melt in your own butter when you make the sauce. And like I said, it will "water down" the heat a bit, so be prepared to add something back.

It doesn't take much, perhaps 1 tablespoon of butter to.. I don't know, 1/4 or 1/2 cup Frank's? I never measure it, I just eyeball it into a plastic bowl.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Pterodactyl wings?

Right at the joint of the wingette and the tip, hard protuberance. Very claw like.

quote:

Love em'. My secret addiction.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
    We had a great place where I used to work that had a ten cent night, and their wings were excellent, very meaty and perfectly crunchy. We used to go in with the entire work crew and order up platters of a couple hundred of them.

Can't be worse than hooters.

PS if you bread your buffalo wings, you are doing it wrong.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    All this chicken wing talk made me stop by the store and pick some up. I soak mine in Franks original or Louisiana hot sauce for at least 4 hours if in a hurry like today. 24 hours is better. Smoke for 30 minutes then over medium heat for the rest of the time. I tried the wing sauce, It's OK but more tangy than heat. Stubbs also makes a wing marinade.

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    safe & sound
    Picture of a1abdj
    posted Hide Post
    This could be combined with the thread in the lounge about franchises, but it's always something to keep in mind. We often hear complaints about what goods and services cost, but most have no idea what type of investment is involved.

A Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant costs between $2,000,000 and $3,000,000. Franchisees must front $750,000 in liquid cash.

Average weekly sales are just under $60,000.

Most of the other numbers are kept confidential, but I did find this for two of these restaurants that were being auctioned.

Location 1) 2011 Net Sales: $1,861,008, Net Income: $214,578

Location 2) 2011 Net Sales $1,116,267, Net Income $11,882

So as you can see, just a few percentage points off of your sales figures, and you're out of business.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Who else?
    Picture of Jager
    posted Hide Post
    Local wing places have done the same thing. Pushing $1.00 a wing. Made up my mind to never go back. It's been almost a year now.

I go buy big packages of chicken drumsticks and do them like wings at home. Way more meat and taste just as good and can feed four people for what one platter of wings would run me at a restaurant.

It is a trend - and I'm no longer a part of it.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of jprebb
    posted Hide Post
    Have any of you tried the lemon-pepper dry rub at BWW? It's actually pretty darn good and best of all the wings remain nice and crunchy. I usually do a mixture of the lemon pepper and honey habanero.

JP

Posts: 2046 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Skins2881:
    quote:
    Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Can't be worse than hooters.

PS if you bread your buffalo wings, you are doing it wrong.

If you bread your wings, they aren't Buffalo wings.

posted Hide Post
    Try Footy's wing sauce. It's REALLY good.....About medium in the wing heat scale
    https://footysauce.com/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Protein anchor:
    I've tried bone wings - too much hassle and mess for to little meat. Give me some big juicy boneless wings any time.

First, without Bones, they aren't Fracking Chicken Wings. They are chicken bites originally meant for the kids.

Second,

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post