SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chicken Wing Pricing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken Wing Pricing Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
We had a great place where I used to work that had a ten cent night, and their wings were excellent, very meaty and perfectly crunchy. We used to go in with the entire work crew and order up platters of a couple hundred of them.

Sadly both the workplace and the bar are gone.

BWW is horrid, I wouldn't go in there to use the bathroom.

Can't be worse than hooters.

PS if you bread your buffalo wings, you are doing it wrong.

If you bread your wings, they aren't Buffalo wings.
Even their naked wings (aka unbreaded) are dreadful due to their sauce. I had not eaten at one in a decade and tried one last fall. I ordered 1/2 hot and 1/2 medium. They make their own sauce on-site and medium is just double the amount of butter as the hot. Absolutely disgusting.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:
quote:
We had a great place where I used to work that had a ten cent night, and their wings were excellent, very meaty and perfectly crunchy. We used to go in with the entire work crew and order up platters of a couple hundred of them.

Even their naked wings (aka unbreaded) are dreadful due to their sauce. I had not eaten at one in a decade and tried one last fall. I ordered 1/2 hot and 1/2 medium. They make their own sauce on-site and medium is just double the amount of butter as the hot. Absolutely disgusting.

Ummm, first, "naked" wings? Calling thing by weird names is what the snowflakes do. Buffalo wings do not have breading. Period. They aren't called "naked", there are no "breaded Buffalo wings", none of that silliness.

Second, that's what a proper Buffalo wing is - the only two ingredients in the sauce are butter and Frank's hot sauce. Mild is mostly butter, hot is mostly Frank's, medium is somewhere in between.

Its fine if you don't like them, but that is the way they are supposed to be.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ummm, first, "naked" wings? Calling thing by weird names is what the snowflakes do. Buffalo wings do not have breading. Period. They aren't called "naked", there are no "breaded Buffalo wings", none of that silliness.

Second, that's what a proper Buffalo wing is - the only two ingredients in the sauce are butter and Frank's hot sauce. Mild is mostly butter, hot is mostly Frank's, medium is somewhere in between.

Its fine if you don't like them, but that is the way they are supposed to be.
Naked wings is not my term, it's exactly what Hooters' menu calls them and has done so for 30+ years. You're connected to the internet so you could google it before making a snarky post.

Second, I've eaten a metric shit ton of wings and have made my own sauce. Doubling the amount of butter isn't how to go from hot to medium, it's a really greasy way to go from hot to extremely mild. Additionally, the side of sauce they brought me the butter wasn't clarified so its fat was floating and so was the Frank's. Like I said, absolutely disgusting.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
the only two ingredients in the sauce are butter and Frank's hot sauce. Mild is mostly butter, hot is mostly Frank's, medium is somewhere in between.

Negative. I really like Frank's; it's my go-to hot sauce. But even straight Franks only starts to approach what I'd consider Medium. It isn't anywhere near Hot.

I put Frank's on my wings when I want something between mild and medium. If I want something hotter, I have go with something else besides Frank's.

Like many others that have posted in the thread, my buffalo wing sauce consists of mostly straight hot sauce, with just a very small amount of butter. I wouldn't even consider watering the sauce down with more butter to kill the heat. I'd just go with a milder hot sauce.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
the only two ingredients in the sauce are butter and Frank's hot sauce. Mild is mostly butter, hot is mostly Frank's, medium is somewhere in between.

Negative. I really like Frank's; it's my go-to hot sauce. But even straight Franks only starts to approach what I'd consider Medium. It isn't anywhere near Hot.

I put Frank's on my wings when I want something between mild and medium. If I want something hotter, I have go with something else besides Frank's.

Like many others that have posted in the thread, my buffalo wing sauce consists of mostly straight hot sauce, with just a very small amount of butter. I wouldn't even consider watering the sauce down with more butter to kill the heat. I'd just go with a milder hot sauce.

tator - that does sound pretty disgusting now that you describe it in greater detail.

As for hooters, where did that reference come from? That entire quoted chain was about BWW, so.. Confused

Rogue - Yes, I make mine differently as well, but the "official" sauce is butter and Franks..

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 lb. bag(s) of [plain] frozen wings from COSTCO
Favorite Bayou Classic propane burner (SP10) set up "out back"
Cast iron dutch oven w/ fry basket, 1/2 full of canola oil brought to 375 degrees

Fry wings in manageable batches until lightly browned and they've floated for a couple of minutes. Drain well and toss in a huge stainless bowl with Frank's Wing Sauce. At least 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 quality control checks will be required for each batch to maintain uniformity throughout the cooking session. Wink

Serve with celery sticks and a blue cheese dip made from a 40-year-old recipe from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Been our Super Bowl favorite for decades.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A chef friend at a restaurant back home makes their wing sauce, based on Franks and butter. There are four (4) pounds of butter in every two gallons of sauce, and still good.

I think I like a few Dry Rubs the best, though.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
10 lb. bag(s) of [plain] frozen wings from COSTCO
Favorite Bayou Classic propane burner (SP10) set up "out back"
Cast iron dutch oven w/ fry basket, 1/2 full of canola oil brought to 375 degrees

Fry wings in manageable batches until lightly browned and they've floated for a couple of minutes. Drain well and toss in a huge stainless bowl with Frank's Wing Sauce. At least 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 quality control checks will be required for each batch to maintain uniformity throughout the cooking session. Wink

Serve with celery sticks and a blue cheese dip made from a 40-year-old recipe from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Been our Super Bowl favorite for decades.

Care to share the bleu cheese dip recipe?

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
tator - that does sound pretty disgusting now that you describe it in greater detail.

As for hooters, where did that reference come from? That entire quoted chain was about BWW, so.. Confused
You appear to be the source of your own confusion:
  • zoom6zoom commented on BW3.
  • Jesse states that BW3 can't be worse than Hooters and their breaded wings.
  • You comment on breaded wings. It can ONLY be about Hooters as BW3 doesn't have breaded wings.
  • I comment about Hooters and their disgusting medium sauce.

I've been a customer of both establishments since the early 90s, and have eaten at both in a bunch of states as well as Canada and Mexico. The Hooters in Alaska and Calgary went out of business right before I moved to both so it had been a while (at least 7 years but probably closer to 10 years) since I had eaten there. I can see why a chain like BW3 would bottle their sauce so some local flunky doesn't fuck it up like the Hooters guy did in Houston. I'm assuming it was a screw up since I had eaten medium at the aforementioned locations over the aformentioned time period, but it could be a corporate thing or my tastes had refined since my last Hooters experience.

•  
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Care to share the bleu cheese dip recipe?

Sure...

BLEU CHEESE DIP

Combine:

4 oz. crumbled bleu cheese
    1 cup mayo
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 cloves finely minced garlic
    1 tablespoon grated onion
    salt & pepper to taste

If smoother texture is desired, process in a blender or food processor.
    Makes about 2 cups dressing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
    - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I haven't seen mention of Wing Stop. In my opinion the best wings ever, especially the lemon pepper wings. Everyone I have ever introduced to Wing Stop has been hooked.

I will never go back to the Buffalo Wild Wings here in town. That place is so damned loud you have to shout into someones ear to be heard!

By all means it is a personal pet peeve of mine to order wings and be interrupted by the clerk saying "bone in or boneless?". There is no such damn thing as a boneless wing for craps sake!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Steve Collins:
    I haven't seen mention of Wing Stop.

Ah, Wing Stop... Sadly our local store closed a few years ago. Definitely one of the better options for wings from a chain restaurant.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Delusions of Adequacy
    Picture of zoom6zoom
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Yeah, but nobody goes to Hooter's for the food.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post
    Hooters has food?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RogueJSK:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Steve Collins:
    I haven't seen mention of Wing Stop.

Ah, Wing Stop... Sadly our local store closed a few years ago. Definitely one of the better options for wings from a chain restaurant.
    I ate at Wing Stop yesterday. It was good - nice size wings, good sauce, friendly staff, and fast.

Also, last week's franchise thread had a link about 10 year failure rates of franchises. Pretty spooky failure rates in the wing business:
  • Wings-n-things 94.12%
  • Wing Zone 65.12%
  • Wings to Go 56.76%
  • Wow Cafe and Wingery 51.72%
  • Wingstop 15.96%
  • BW3 4.76%

•  
    The Persian
    Picture of PPGMD
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Also, last week's franchise thread had a link about 10 year failure rates of franchises. Pretty spooky failure rates in the wing business:

That chart drives me nuts, the changes in significant figures is just ugh.

-------
    A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
    "King in the north!"
    "Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The chart lists Pita Pit twice - once at 51.52%, and once at 17.39%. I guess the place is schizo.

The chicken wing franchises fail more because of the higher overhead, supporting all those double-amputee chicken rehab centers.

===
    I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Persian
    Picture of PPGMD
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by whanson_wi:
    The chart lists Pita Pit twice - once at 51.52%, and once at 17.39%. I guess the place is schizo.

Not enough time normalizing the data. There is even a null data in the list.

-------
    A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
    "King in the north!"
    "Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'm guilty of not reading through the entire thread but, may I say this.....

Buffalo Wild Wings has "1/2 price wing Tuesday" !
    I go there for their special and I select their "Traditional" wings in the classic "Hot Sauce". I order the wings extra wet. The classic "Hot" sauce is 4th in their hottest line up. "Blazing" is #1, "Wild" is #2, "Mango Habanero" is #3, and "Hot" is #4.

You can purchase a bottle of any of their sauces for $8 dollars or so.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    You can purchase a bottle of any of their sauces for $8 dollars or so.

This is what I started doing instead of going there. I went at least 25 Tuesdays a year for 13 years or so! Was a regular at the original restaurant in Kent during my friends college days.

Their sauces are the best out there as far as I'm concerned. Now I just make the wings myself and use their sauces. I like the mango habanero and the Jamaican Jerk.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post