SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chicken Wing Pricing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken Wing Pricing Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
the only wing place I'll go to here in town is $8 a pound, but they've got some truly great sauces.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love chicken wings! And I agree they are ridiculously overpriced, but it is what it is... I don't like BWW sauces though... they had a really good blue moon BBQ sauce recently, but then got rid of it :-/ o well I'll take native New Yorker anyday

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were just talking about this topic recently.
Around Richmond they are outrageous
I have never been a wing person but every once in a while we liked to go out and catch a game.

When I still lived in Cols, I used to go out all the time and get wings. It was either BW3 or Roosters. At BW3 I always thought their wings sucked, but I did love their happy hour and their drummies.

Of course while I was still attending OSU, and staying on campus, BW3 was the place to go and the thing to do.

Fast forward to now: My girlfriend makes them on the grill and they are ten times better.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I'm horribly addicted to Mango Habenero at Bdubs. It's shameful really.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got to admit, it's pretty darn clever to sell the scraps and make more than the whole bird is worth.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
There are several lodges in my area that offer wing specials one night a week usually. You might ask around about Eagles/Elks/Moose in your area. They usually offer a pretty good value. May not be gourmet but not 5 star pricing either.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
The real fun was back before "Buffalo Wings" became a fad. Around the time I got married (mid 70's), the butcher would practically give away chicken wings. Chicken wing night was usually the night before payday back then :-)
When they got popular in bars, the price went out of sight compared to "the good ol' days".

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
The real fun was back before "Buffalo Wings" became a fad. Around the time I got married (mid 70's), the butcher would practically give away chicken wings. Chicken wing night was usually the night before payday back then :-)
When they got popular in bars, the price went out of sight compared to "the good ol' days".

The same exact thing occurred with brisket and pork ribs. Back in the olden days, both of those meats were the undesirable "poor peoples" food. Now today you'll pay more sometimes for brisket than for good steak.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

The same exact thing occurred with brisket and pork ribs. Back in the olden days, both of those meats were the undesirable "poor peoples" food. Now today you'll pay more sometimes for brisket than for good steak.

Wasn't that also the case with shellfish? The absolute worst bottom dwelling trash that was left in the net.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The Publix skinless deep fried spicy chicken wings are $9.98 for 20 wings (sometimes $8.99) are very good (I'm a Publix chicken junkie though Big Grin)...just add your favorite bottle of wing sauce and you are good to go...

From time to time they offer "Mardi Gras" seasoned wings...they are outstanding and sell out quick...

Back about 1973 or so we had a Wishbone fried chicken place near where I lived, they offered a 12 wing box for about a buck...if I was short on funds and couldn't swing the cost for the white meat dinner, I would get the wings.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Protein anchor:
I've tried bone wings - too much hassle and mess for to little meat. Give me some big juicy boneless wings any time.

Indeed. Wayyyyyy too much work for a bite of chicken.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
I've tried bone wings - too much hassle and mess for to little meat. Give me some big juicy boneless wings any time.

Sorry. A chicken nugget thrown in some sauce is...a chicken nugget thrown in some sauce. A "wing" it's not. To me, you gotta have that skin and meat and bone and gristle.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
The Publix skinless deep fried spicy chicken wings are $9.98 for 20 wings (sometimes $8.99) are very good (I'm a Publix chicken junkie though Big Grin)...just add your favorite bottle of wing sauce and you are good to go...

I wish they used a spicier sauce, so I wouldn't have to sauce it myself.

I can literally drink the TX Pete Extra Mild Sauce they use.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The skin is great, and the only real problem with boneless ones, to me. Maybe tiny Chinese children can be paid pennies a day to masterfully debone real chicken wings. I'd buy em.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
V-tail next time you are in publix grab a box of the wings they cook up in the deli, unbreaded and hot, 20 for $10.... Good stuff.
Wilco

EDIT TO ADD: OK, I tried your suggestion. Good news / bad news kind of thing. Went to Publix. Went to deli counter. Took a number from the ticket dispenser. Stood there like an idiot while a deli counter guy served two people who had arrived after I did, and who did not have tickets. Asked counter guy why he was doing this. His answer, saturated with attitude, "I don't bother with the ticket numbers."

I walked away in disgust, did other shopping, then thought to myself, "That's just not right."

Back to deli counter, asked for department manager, told her what had happened. She said that was far from the first complaint about that particular counter guy, she has tried training but he just pays no attention to it. She will take it up once more with the store general manager.

She handed me a box of 20 wings and marked it "No charge." I told her that was not necessary, she said that as department manager she thought that in fact it was necessary. I thanked her and checked out.

Got wings home, here's the verdict, from both Mrs. V-Tail and me: Too dry, needs a bit of moistening from more sauce, could use a bit more heat. Edible, but definitely not our favorites.

By far, the best wings in the area in the past, were at Kathy's Wings. They had a few locations, all closed now. A true redneck place, you had to be prepared to duck when the shooting started. There was more than one incident, I think they were mainly associated with love triangles involving female employees, but I don't have details now. Google will probably find something if you're interested. Great wings, but wear your body armor.

Currently in the lead for take-home, the wings from Maryland Fried Chicken. Very good wings. Their other chicken is also very good, our favorite for local fried chicken. I think they use the old broasting method. I usually pick up from the location on Hwy 441, south Apopka, in the Walmart plaza just south of the Apopka Shoot Straight store.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sorry. A chicken nugget thrown in some sauce is...a chicken nugget thrown in some sauce. A "wing" it's not. To me, you gotta have that skin and meat and bone and gristle.

Amen brother, can I have a hallelujah?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:

Don't forget skirt steak......that used to be dirt cheap steak that only Mexicans used for fajitas.....it's now more than NY strip.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm a certified level XII wang eater. I have the system down regardless of which variant of the wing is in my hand, and either way it's easy to run through a dozen in short order.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a certified level XII wang eater.

We won't judge. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the cost of doing business in 2003 was less than it is today. I know the wholesale price of chicken wings was less then.

5 times as much? Why isn't the beer $10 a bottle?

Boneless wings are all breading. Teeth grinding against bone, chewing on gristle, all part of the joy that is fried chicken.

With the beer, it's economies of scale. The equipment and building is paid for. They squeeze out 1 cent out of the cost and they save millions a year.

With the wings, the cost for the wings are relatively unchanged but labor and overhead gets you the 5x they have to charge.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post