SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Nonstop hacking/throat clearing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nonstop hacking/throat clearing Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
People that do this seek me out. It’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. At the gym and the guy behind me literally does a three round burst every other breath. Fucking hell, go hock up an oyster and get it the fuck over with! Mad

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Smokers are particularly bad about this.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107255 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
OMG, my brother-in-law does that. I timed it once, every 10 seconds.

It gets worse in the Winter and especially after he's spend a couple of days with his girlfriend. He comes home all stuffed up and hacking and about the time it gets to a manageable level, he's back at the GF's house.

His bedroom (where he spends most of his time when he's home) is right above my computer room and it's about to drive me over the edge.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Got a co-worker who's been doing that for two solid weeks. Pollen allergy, he says, and there is some truth to it as there is a lot of it in the air right now, but he also smokes. It is just now beginning to taper off, to maybe 10 minutes between hacks.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If it is someone you know/care about, you might suggest this product to them. My dentist gave me a free sample last visit, it comes rinse, spray, and gel. It may not completely stop hacking due to smoking. I get the coughing fits during allergy season and post nasal drip, and this stuff does help.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Especially nice in a restaurant.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Especially nice in a restaurant.

Hopefully not the cook or server. Red Face

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On occasion the person has Tourettes Syndrome if it is throat clearing and tics. Admittedly it is annoying although body odor and open sores are worse. I will ask to move in a restaurant if nonstop hacking is going on.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife worked with a lady that started to do that, 4 weeks later the lady was dead, Lung Cancer.

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
While smoking is vile on it’s own, it’s not always the cause. I have allergies and wake up most day hacking and coughing for at least half an hour or more. It’s miserable and allergy shots don’t fix it. Btw, I’ve never smoked, thank God.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
On occasion the person has Tourettes Syndrome if it is throat clearing and tics.
Before the Big C got him (unrelated), a good friend of mine had the throat clearing tic from Tourettes. He had zero control of it, but knew he had the tick.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
GERD can also cause the constant throat clearing and light cough.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Try living in Korea. Throat clearing followed by spitting is constant. It's cultural whenever people are outside.
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20130305000755

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
OMG, my brother-in-law does that. I timed it once, every 10 seconds.

His bedroom (where he spends most of his time when he's home) is right above my computer room and it's about to drive me over the edge.

Your brother-in-law lives with you?

OT, yes hacking sucks.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm guilty of this in only one specific way. For some reason, I clear my throat a lot while I'm gaming. This is the only time I'm ever conscious of doing it.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Castle.gif

Your gif tripped me out until I realized it's reversed.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:...

Not on this side of the screen...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Some blood pressure meds cause hacking and clearing .... It Could be this.
Blowing, not whistling just blowing drives me nuts......

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Your brother-in-law lives with you?

Yes. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Works, drives, has a girl friend but not quite able to live on his own. 62 physically, about 16 mentally.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
My dad has this because of a medication he's on.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:...

Not on this side of the screen...

I meant it plays in reverse.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post