SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No waiting at barber shop, step right up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No waiting at barber shop, step right up Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
There's always a couple or five guys ahead of me when I get there, but not today ...
And the most current Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue is right there on the table, leering
at me as I walk by.

Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I could get there right as he opens, and there's already three dudes ahead of me, one of them rocking a Picard horseshoe, already shaved down to his skull, like he buzzed it before he came in. What are you even doing here, you French motherfucker!? Get outta the chair, some of us actually still have hair that needs to be cut!

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
...rocking a Picard horseshoe...

Always delivering!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
...rocking a Picard horseshoe...

Always delivering!

+1. Solid performance, as always.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be happy. All my local guys require appointments. I'm talking regular barbers here, not "stylists."

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Same here, it's not that they won't do drop-ins, it's that they don't usually have time because of all the appointments!

quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Be happy. All my local guys require appointments. I'm talking regular barbers here, not "stylists."

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
My barber has a TV on a table across from the chairs, but I take my glasses off for the cut. I can't see the TV because my eyes are myopic. It's a real plight, I say.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Of course, if the only magazine on the table was a 3 year old issue of Time, there'd be a line out the door.

I bought my "stylist" a new Oster clipper, she runs it over my noggin about once a month. 5 minutes in the kitchen chair, hop in the shower...done.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I took my boy to the barber shop Saturday as Monday was picture day. We got there at 8:35, they open at 8:30, and there were already 11 people there for 3 chairs.
Waiting that long with a 4 year old was not happening. He had a birthday party that afternoon so no coming back. Slid down the road to another barber shop with no toys for the kiddo. He wanted me to get my hair cut first he picks the seat right next to the seat with the SI swimsuit issue on it. I kept waiting for him to pick it up.
He never did. That would have been an interesting conversation with Mom when we got home.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I rarely go to the barber shop these days. I've save so much money cutting my own hair. However, I do enjoy going on some occasions such as before job interviews, etc. Something about the atmosphere of the barber shop is something every young man should experience.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Place in Jerkwater wants $20 for a haircut. I wanted a discount because I'm half bald. Barber said it was full price because he needed a "finder's fee". Bastage. Wink

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I had an old fashioned barber in high school. My group went there for the dirty magazines and he always gave a shoulder massage. His shop was just kitty corner from the San Francisco City Hall.

One of his weekly clients was like Picard, bald with wisps of hair around his half dome. The barber told me he would spend about 10 minutes just snipping his scissors in the air hovering around the guy's head. And he was done.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old barber
Tony - RIP -
was the classic barber
No appointments get in line and wait

If you had the time, it was always entertaining

You could find All kinds of different and interesting guys in there, police, athletes, politicians, factory workers

Once when I was so busy I didn't have time to get in and wait he called me up on a Sunday and said hey I know you have been busy and have not been able to get a cut, come on down and I'll clean you up

He was a great Barber and he will be missed

Now a days the wife does the cut, a little cheaper, a little faster but not as much fun

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I prefer a regular barber. I'm old fashioned. And you do meet interesting people in town. Have had a lot of fun in there, joking, talking about just about everything.

About a year ago, came in and it was just my barber, and the Chief of Police, off duty and in civilian clothes getting his haircut. He is a great guy and has completely turned our local PD from a Keystone cops affair into an outfit I am quite proud of. We were just yammering about various stuff and as he was unassing the barber chair I noticed he wasn't carrying. I asked him why not. Says he doesn't care to. I told him not to worry - because I was. Jim, our barber, couldn't stifle his laugh. The Chief didn't know me, but now he does. I told him I appreciated his leadership and since he had begun his tenure, I'd had a handful of exchanges and interaction with his officers (highly positive), and his leadership was having a tremendous effect on our community. I also told him I thought he might have some enemies and carrying might be something that could keep him around longer.

Honestly, I think the Lord watches over him. And his goofy haircut.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The spirit of the American Male lives on in the traditional Barber Shop."-Ltbarber

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
There has only been one guy and one woman ever in my life who knew how to give me a good haircut. They were a married couple who owned a little shop in town. They packed everything up and moved to Jerusalem back in the mid 90s though, and about two weeks after they left I bought a Flowbee and haven't looked back. Haven't paid for a haircut in over twenty years and have no intention of ever going back to a barber.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
... some of us actually still have hair that needs to be cut!

So your avatar isn't you? I'm like sooooooo confused now.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Appointments at regular barbers? I haven't needed a barber in years, but you just go in. They get to you in 20 or 30 minutes at most, and you read Mechanics Illustrated and drink crappy coffee until then. It is part of the deal.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Appointments at regular barbers? I haven't needed a barber in years, but you just go in. They get to you in 20 or 30 minutes at most, and you read Mechanics Illustrated and drink crappy coffee until then. It is part of the deal.

This has always been my experience. It is what I look for in a barber shop.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
My barber is drop dead gorgeous. She give an excellent haircut. Nuff said!!

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post