SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Worst gun buying experience and left empty handed...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worst gun buying experience and left empty handed... Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
That's because you go there for the fudge and women's wear.

Try just LOOKING at a gun to see what it costs. First you have to enter your information at the Que. Then you get to wait around until you get a message to proceed to the opening in the fencing that keeps people from going to the counter and actually looking at a price tag. That will take between 15 minutes to 2 hours. Because they only man the gun counter with a maximum of 2 people. If they get chatty customers you get to walk laps around the store. Flat out, I will NOT purchase a firearm from Cabela's, it's just too damned inconvenient.

Then there is the mess that is the reloading supply. Was a time when you could walk in, select the item you wanted, and carry it to the front of the store to pay for it. Powder, bullets, Primers, Wads, cases, whatever you needed was on display and you could actually pick it up. In addition you could purchase primers by the brick. I used to wait until there was a sale and go in and get 3 or 4 bricks. Once Bass Crap took over all that changed. Now you have to actually find a floor walker and ask him to go in the back and bring it to you. If you want primers you can't ask for a brick, you can only purchase a sleeve and when this change started the limit was 3 sleeves.

Note, all these changes took place BEFORE THE PANIC so reloading supplies were actually available from the distributors. Unfortunately Bass Crap's policies turned a useful resource into a end of the earth only sort of resource.

I've purchased 3 guns from Cabela's so far. All three of them were the cheapest price I could get anywhere for the gun in question. Not one of them took over a half hour beginning to end to buy, but then I bypass the NICS check with my CCW.

I'll continue going. Cabela's has a great trail dog and fries in their cafeteria.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, I recently bought an FFL Item from PSA(Palmetto State Armory). So far, it’s all on track, shipment to a local FFL.

Just saying, usually a handful of hoops to jump through.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will never purchase from Bass Pro shop. If I can't work the action/trigger before I buy it then F**k them. They just lost my business.

Posts: 473 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy2721:
I will never purchase from Bass Pro shop. If I can't work the action/trigger before I buy it then F**k them. They just lost my business.

They show you how to use the trigger lock key that is in the gun case you are buying. As I said "Never Again". I am done with Cablelas and BPS.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Occasionally I’ll roam through bass pro and look at some used guns they have. Every now and then one comes home with me. They are definitely not the fastest place in the world, but when it comes to atf paperwork and making sure it’s done right these big box places have to have 15 checks and balances to make sure the idiot behind the counter is double checked by the other idiot behind the counter and they are both double checked by the idiot in the back who is ultimately double checked by the manager.

As far as getting delays go we don’t make people pay before the background checks, but I can definitely understand why a place would. Most of the people you are dealing with are 30-60 years old probably. So that means you’ve gone 30-60 years without whatever gun you’re buying but a 3 day wait is the end of the world? I get a delay can be a minor inconvenience, but it’s really not that big of a deal.

I don’t understand collecting ahead of time and if someone gets delayed then just giving them a full refund. If you charge something for the background check it makes sense, but it sounds like a waste of time if you’re just going to give it all back if they want to walk away from the deal

I suppose I agree it taking forever THEN getting delayed to only have to come back and it take forever again can be annoying. Here it’s usually 10 min you get delayed then in 3 days you come back and it takes 30 seconds sign here and you’re good to go. So having to deal with bass pro twice wait twice is worse than the actual 3 day delay.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Have a BPS store within a 15 minute drive of my home and a Cabela"s within 45 minutes at the most driving time. Only use them for fondeling the weapons in question for how they feel in my hand... Prefer to spend money with a LGS with mom/pop ownership than supporting some big box corp owned/oerated store. .................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2002 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had some good transactions/sales at my local BPS and they always had plenty of help and computers,(x3) for background checks. The last time I went there though, some of the guys my age and older,that I came to know are no longer there and the new ones are young guys with no clue. It had, for a while, a homey feel with the guys I knew and they always treated me right.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I've had a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit since the late 90's.
The last two gun I bought was a handgun from a local store and got the Blue Label price.
And then a shotgun from Academy. I bought the shotgun from Academy online and went to pick it up the next morning. I had to fill out the form on a tablet, gave them my DL and CHP and that was it.
The Glock from the local store was the same the tablet deal gave them my DL and CHP.

I have a Bass Pro close by and I got there to look at stuff and maybe by clothes not guns.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You didn't want the 5 to 6 month wait for ordering the gun online.

You've already been there for at least an hour and you live an hour away and you couldn't just wait??? I don't really see how it's the store's fault.

Granted my experience is limited but in all the gun stores I've been in, there's only one line for the 4473 line. I can imagine it it was a 100% gun store and sold a lot of guns that they would have more than one terminal for NICS processing.

If it was me, I would have searched GB instead.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taco68:
On the 4473, there is a place for a UPIN. From what I understand, if you have the UPIN, this will help sail through the background check with a common name.

I used to get delayed all the time until I got my UPIN. Took about 4 months from submission, and yes, you do have to send in a fingerprint card processed by your local LEO. To me it was a no brainer, and I haven't been delayed since then... except the one time a salesman entered my UPIN incorrectly into the system! After 3 tries he figured out what was wrong and it sailed right through!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have been delayed in the past and returned to pick it up the next day.

In Fairfax County a long time ago, you had to get the police permission to buy a handgun. So when the stainless S&W 629 was announced, I put in an order at Herman's Sporting Goods.

Sometime later, I was called to pick the gun up but the Fairfax County permission was denied.

So since I owned property in Loudoun County, I had it shipped to a store in Loudoun County. End of problem Big Grin

About 2005, I found a nice S&W K22 in Clark Brothers. After waiting about two hours, I decided to pick it up in a week or so. The clerk placed the gun in a paper bag to put in storage. In the process, the gun came out of the bag and hit the concrete floor. Mad At that point, I said I no longer want the gun. They refunded my money less about $15 for background check.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
As far as getting delays go we don’t make people pay before the background checks, but I can definitely understand why a place would.

I'm local to you and would have probably stopped in your store already, but Apple maps shows your store as "permanently closed." Is this correct?

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I have been delayed in the past and returned to pick it up the next day.

In Fairfax County a long time ago, you had to get the police permission to buy a handgun. So when the stainless S&W 629 was announced, I put in an order at Herman's Sporting Goods.

Sometime later, I was called to pick the gun up but the Fairfax County permission was denied.

So since I owned property in Loudoun County, I had it shipped to a store in Loudoun County. End of problem Big Grin

About 2005, I found a nice S&W K22 in Clark Brothers. After waiting about two hours, I decided to pick it up in a week or so. The clerk placed the gun in a paper bag to put in storage. In the process, the gun came out of the bag and hit the concrete floor. Mad At that point, I said I no longer want the gun. They refunded my money less about $15 for background check.

So they potentially damaged the gun yet they charged you for the background check when you declined to accept it?

I’d be having a chat with a manager.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, if it's a gun rare like that, I would've just come back and picked it up........I wouldn't have cancelled the sale and all that. I agree their policies leave a lot to be desired.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People in America are spending huge amounts of money these days, massive amounts.

The top 12 people are B.P.S. are rolling in dough,

They don't have the time or need to listen to either the sales floor staff or the customers.

9% of the people in retail sales call it "progress" and although those at corporate headquarters are very pleased.

The people over seas are absolutely elated at our dependency on their empire.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
I've had my FFL for ~20 years and from experience the only people that consistently get a NICS PROCEED response in a microsecond are Asian Females. Anyone with a very common name, i.e. Smith, Jones, Gonzales, Brown, etc., will get a NICS DELAY response about 90% of the time. In Texas a person with a CHL or LTC allows you to skip the NICS check. But they must be run through the Texas DPS online verification site. That takes all of five seconds.

our FFL is only about 12 yrs old, however Dad's predated the NICS check

in VA, we have VChek, which is based off the NICS system and uses it as well as State Databases,

you get Proceed, Delay, Denied, or Cancelled,

with VChek, you may go from Delayed, to In Reseach, which 90% of the time means you will be denied, and may get to chat with VSP before you leave,

I cannot tell you the number of people that I have asked when doing the paperwork, if they have been delayed,

oh no, never delayed, it usually takes 40 minutes,,,,,

that means you are delayed (my check come back in less than a minute, as do a lot of folks)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post