SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Worst gun buying experience and left empty handed...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worst gun buying experience and left empty handed... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Our shop used to collect payment after the background check is run. We no longer do it that way. One reason is the number of denials that we've been encountering. With no transfer due to a denial, we essentially did the background check for nothing. By requiring payment up front and clearly stating to the customer that a service fee will be deducted for services rendered if a denial happens (or the damn customer just changes his/her mind midstream), at least some of our costs are covered and it wasn't just a big fricking waste of everyone's time (and money). This also allows a customer to come back at a later time to run the check at their convenience knowing that the gun is paid for and reserved, in case we're swamped with ongoing checks at the time, which up until recently can and does often happen.

As for the delayed status you encountered: well these ARE trying times, including and especially for NICS. Even electronic background checks for individuals who normally encounter 'further review' checks with some frequency automatically come back with a 'delayed' status. I had one happen yesterday; so did other coworkers. Most often it all will depend on what's happening at NICS at the time. Whenever they have system issues or get swamped with background checks, these sorts of results can and frequently do happen. We don't know what algorithms and thresholds NICS uses that trigger such a result; we're just stuck going with their flow. Also yesterday we did have several rather lengthy electronic checks, presumed that the customers in question would be 'further review' individuals under the old system; even after 15-20 minutes of "researching" and our software spinning its wheels, at least two of them STILL came back as 'delayed'.

It's the current nature of the beast.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our shop used to collect payment after the background check is run. We no longer do it that way. One reason is the number of denials that we've been encountering. With no transfer due to a denial, we essentially did the background check for nothing.
Why not charge for a non-refundable background check first? Pay for the gun after the approval is received.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Bass Pro ruined Cabelas. I don't need to say anymore!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Our shop used to collect payment after the background check is run. We no longer do it that way. One reason is the number of denials that we've been encountering. With no transfer due to a denial, we essentially did the background check for nothing.
Why not charge for a non-refundable background check first? Pay for the gun after the approval is received.

My recent purchase of the Seecamp at LGS went the same, pay for the handgun first, then proceed with 4473 form. I have an AZ conceal carry permit, so no background check was necessary.

There was a mandatory refund fee notice in the transaction, if the purchase was void due to any action on behalf of the buyer, then something like $150 would be deducted from the refund.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I've had my FFL for ~20 years and from experience the only people that consistently get a NICS PROCEED response in a microsecond are Asian Females. Anyone with a very common name, i.e. Smith, Jones, Gonzales, Brown, etc., will get a NICS DELAY response about 90% of the time. In Texas a person with a CHL or LTC allows you to skip the NICS check. But they must be run through the Texas DPS online verification site. That takes all of five seconds.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about that. I did find out about the nics on a cpl crap about six months ago. I don’t buy guns often enough. Definitely can’t keep up with the one-a-month goal. Just wait and see how fucked up it gets when we all need a psych exam.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
I've had my FFL for ~20 years and from experience the only people that consistently get a NICS PROCEED response in a microsecond are Asian Females.

Trying to be less white, I find out I'm an Asian Female! Big Grin Wink

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Since March 2020 the BATFE no longer allows Michigan CPL holders to skip the NICS check.

Cabela's and BPS at least in 2017 would not accept a Michigan CPL at the Dundee and Auburn Hills stores from my first hand experience.

Are you certain about the year being 2017. I ask because I started shooting Clays in May of 2018 and purchased a CS Teal O/U in 20 gauge at that time. For that my CPL was just dandy at the Chesterfield Cabela's. All I had to do was fill out the 4473, show my CPL and Drivers license, pay for the gun and I was on my way. Sometime during the summer of 2019 I purchased a Browning Citori from the Chesterfield Gun Library and told the sales person he had to have me out of the store within 1/2 hour. He called to the area where the transfers and forms got filled out and they actually got me out of the store in under 30 minutes and again the Michigan CPL exempted me from needing an NCIS check. Back in 2020 when Sportsman's Warehouse had had a Beretta 686 on closeout for 1599.00 I learned that the ATF had rescinded the exemption for the Michigan CPL.

I will also note that I absolutely LOATHE Bass Pro. I used to enjoy taking a drive down to Dundee just to visit Cabela's and browse thru the Gun Library. It was also a good resource for reloading components. That has not been the case since Bass Crap took over. Really, they expect me to drive a 100 mile round trip to purchase 2 or 3 trays of primers. That aint going to happen, if they pull that crap I'll keep going into Ohio and pick up a full case at the Fin.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll be an odd man out.

I like Bass Pro and I especially like the homemade fudge and Mrs. Flash likes the women's wear selection and prices.

I also still like Cabela's and have their credit card through Capital One. I haven't seen any deterioration of our local Cabela's since the takeover.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Since March 2020 the BATFE no longer allows Michigan CPL holders to skip the NICS check.

Cabela's and BPS at least in 2017 would not accept a Michigan CPL at the Dundee and Auburn Hills stores from my first hand experience.

Are you certain about the year being 2017. I ask because I started shooting Clays in May of 2018 and purchased a CS Teal O/U in 20 gauge at that time. For that my CPL was just dandy at the Chesterfield Cabela's. All I had to do was fill out the 4473, show my CPL and Drivers license, pay for the gun and I was on my way. Sometime during the summer of 2019 I purchased a Browning Citori from the Chesterfield Gun Library and told the sales person he had to have me out of the store within 1/2 hour. He called to the area where the transfers and forms got filled out and they actually got me out of the store in under 30 minutes and again the Michigan CPL exempted me from needing an NCIS check. Back in 2020 when Sportsman's Warehouse had had a Beretta 686 on closeout for 1599.00 I learned that the ATF had rescinded the exemption for the Michigan CPL.

I will also note that I absolutely LOATHE Bass Pro. I used to enjoy taking a drive down to Dundee just to visit Cabela's and browse thru the Gun Library. It was also a good resource for reloading components. That has not been the case since Bass Crap took over. Really, they expect me to drive a 100 mile round trip to purchase 2 or 3 trays of primers. That aint going to happen, if they pull that crap I'll keep going into Ohio and pick up a full case at the Fin.

Positive. I went there to use a gift card from my coworkers when I retired about a month before. I don’t know what the guy’s problem was, the thing about the birthplace city and state. He came out of the back with an attitude. There was a lineup there that day but that was no excuse. Like I said, he was not the one I initially dealt with at the counter.

About the Auburn Hills BPS, I went with a friend who wanted to get a Shield like mine. One line for NICS, I overheard one of the workers tell one of the customers that they did not waive NICS checks for Michigan CPL holders. Day after Thanksgiving, you can guess how long the line was. My friend said “ forget it” so we left.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I just bought a revolver at our local Cabela's. I have a CCW/CFP permit. One other person buying a gun in the whole store... not busy, etc.

Still took 58 minutes to complete the sale after I said, "I'll take it." It's RIDICULOUS what bass pro has done to Cabela's.

PLUS their new idiotic corporate liability procedures mean you can't try the trigger or check the action before paying for the gun. It's INSANITY.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
the stuff that happened pre background check is on BP, and yes, they can be a bit of a PITA, thanks to corporate lawyers and management,

re the 'further whatever' and 'delay'

they , or any FFL, has nothing to do with that, it is either a NICS or POC (Point of Contact, Va State Police does our background checks,)

that simply means that they are looking deeper at your form or submission, to make sure that either you don't have something flagged in the system, or that you are not the guy that does have something flagged in the system,

I'm a dealer, and run checks every day,

some folks sail thru in seconds, others will have a short delay, and very few take more than a day

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I guess I'll be an odd man out.

I like Bass Pro and I especially like the homemade fudge and Mrs. Flash likes the women's wear selection and prices.

I also still like Cabela's and have their credit card through Capital One. I haven't seen any deterioration of our local Cabela's since the takeover.

That's because you go there for the fudge and women's wear.

Try just LOOKING at a gun to see what it costs. First you have to enter your information at the Que. Then you get to wait around until you get a message to proceed to the opening in the fencing that keeps people from going to the counter and actually looking at a price tag. That will take between 15 minutes to 2 hours. Because they only man the gun counter with a maximum of 2 people. If they get chatty customers you get to walk laps around the store. Flat out, I will NOT purchase a firearm from Cabela's, it's just too damned inconvenient.

Then there is the mess that is the reloading supply. Was a time when you could walk in, select the item you wanted, and carry it to the front of the store to pay for it. Powder, bullets, Primers, Wads, cases, whatever you needed was on display and you could actually pick it up. In addition you could purchase primers by the brick. I used to wait until there was a sale and go in and get 3 or 4 bricks. Once Bass Crap took over all that changed. Now you have to actually find a floor walker and ask him to go in the back and bring it to you. If you want primers you can't ask for a brick, you can only purchase a sleeve and when this change started the limit was 3 sleeves.

Note, all these changes took place BEFORE THE PANIC so reloading supplies were actually available from the distributors. Unfortunately Bass Crap's policies turned a useful resource into a end of the earth only sort of resource.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You almost had it

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It’s likely better to find the gun on the net & let it ship to a nearby, ‘vetted’ smaller gunshop. Much of the time you can save on sales tax.

One has to factor in the drive times & hassle factor, maybe having to go back.

I’ve done the big box stores plenty, just expect some run-around. It’s like when you go to the farm, expect a little manure smell.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
On the 4473, there is a place for a UPIN. From what I understand, if you have the UPIN, this will help sail through the background check with a common name.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taco68:
On the 4473, there is a place for a UPIN. From what I understand, if you have the UPIN, this will help sail through the background check with a common name.

I looked into it. The wait to get one from the FBI is 2 - 12 months right now. Looks like you have to be finger printed by your local PD as well.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:
quote:
Originally posted by taco68:

I looked into it. The wait to get one from the FBI is 2 - 12 months right now. Looks like you have to be finger printed by your local PD as well.

yup, and you may not get it just because you are delayed,

in Va, they only issue if you have been Denied,

I have run a few customers that had UPINS,, and guess what,

they were still delayed,
one is usually an hour or so, the other took a day,

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
one thing to think about on the delays,

don't take it personal,

if you are constantly delayed, then you have to remember that you are not the only <insert name here>, and one of those other folks out there with your same name may be a criminal, or prohibited in the system for some reason

it's the system doing it's job, right or wrong, suck or not,

posted Hide Post
Yup, bought 1 (and only) gun from Cabelas....took an hour. Part of that was my fault...he asked if I wanted to join cabela club: get a hat and $25 off....sure, cost me about 10-15 minutes.

Had a worse experience though...3 years ago, gun show in Tampa Fla. Arrived 11:00am with my father to help him pick out an easier handling/shooting carry gun (he’s 78) After 2 hours of debate & shopping we make our best deal on a p238. Bkgr checks running an hour...okay we come back at 2:30. Now they’re running 2 hours behind....hmmm, okay. Return at 3:30. Sorry only 2 out of the 7 in front of you have gotten approved. Show closes at 5, but you can come back until 6 for pick up only. Fine, early dinner it is. Come back at 5:30...still no go. Finallyapproved at 5:50. Hour & 15 minute drive home....poor guy, so tired he didn’t even feel like stopping at the range to try it out.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post