https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9780020134

October 04, 2017, 05:34 AM
Skins2881
Snapchat is pure evil
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That is not practical. The administrators will be turned into full-time cell phone police.

Sad but true. My second year as a SRO, my school decided to implement a "no cell phones in class" and "no backpacks in class" policy. Those lasted about 3 weeks before the administrators decided that it was untenable. The teachers and admins were spending way too much time dealing with phones and backpacks.

And that was nearly 10 years ago, when cell phones were (slightly) less common than now.

Heck, nowadays most of the schools in my area give the kids Chromebooks, complete with instant messaging and video chat abilities through Google apps. So even if the kids don't have their cell phones, they can still harass each other through their school-issued laptops.

When I was in school. Pagers (cell phone of the 90's) were not allowed in school. We weren't allowed to carry back packs except to home room and after the final bell. We were not allowed to wear Starter jackets either. Not sure why the jackets were barred, maybe fluffy coats could conceal a gun?

I see no reason a rule for cellphones like we had for backpacks and pagers couldn't work. Put it in locker when you arrive, take it out after final class, pretty simple.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
October 04, 2017, 07:56 AM
RAMIUS
When I was a high school teacher, I taught at a charter school, in Philly.

This school made discipline and academics the number one priority. The school administration gave no fucks when they disallowed iPhones turned on in school.

The phone was to be shut off and placed in the students locker. If a student was caught with a phone, or the phone in the locker went off, the student was given a suspension with warning...if it happened a 2nd time, the student was kicked out of school.

Working there was AWESOME, from a Discipline and academic stand point.
October 04, 2017, 07:58 AM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I have absolutely ZERO understanding why phones or communication device is allowed at school or in the classroom for any reason.
We got busted for passing paper football notes.

It it very simple, no phones or texting capable devices allowed at school.
There is no need for them.

That is not practical. The administrators will be turned into full-time cell phone police. Not even the parents would support such a rule, never mind the students. Cell phones are here to stay.

It's very practical. There's nothing stopping this rule from being a rule...only thing is lazy administrators. Some schools ban them, including a school I was teaching at.
October 04, 2017, 08:04 AM
Lord Vaalic
I still don't get why the kids need them in the first place.

But yes, banning them in school is a realistic option

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
October 04, 2017, 09:46 AM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I still don't get why the kids need them in the first place.

The oft repeated reason is emergencies. Roll Eyes

Of course, emergencies have never happened at any time other than the past ten years since smart phones came about. How ever did we survive as a species?

Ban them. Easy-peasy. You get one warning. After that you're done. No exceptions. Don't like it? Tough shit.