SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fireworks no longer just July 4th but every night and day a week prior!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireworks no longer just July 4th but every night and day a week prior! Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My poor dog has shell-shock.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's like they read your thread and started this morning. They used to wait until dusk but today it's been all day long.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I totally understand Tara's rant...we had a few last night into the morning (not too bad)...BUT tonight after the Big Show ends...EVERY person who spent a day's wages at the umpteen pop up fire works stands will try to get their money's worth...and it will go on until 3:00 AM...and will start again tomorrow at dark...rinse and repeat...

This was the only time my poor old border collie Jenny would get so stressed she would come into the bedroom and actually jump into the bed with us...

It wasn't the big fireworks show that caused this...but the hours of neighborhood firecrackers and such (especially anything that whistled before it went bang) that went on and on...

Now, I just pour a couple of glasses of Speyburn single malt and sleep through it all Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
My neighborhood is starting to make me wonder if a fireworks stand started taking EBT.

Big Grin

That's funny, and a little sad (as a statement about welfare), all at once.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The Big Show from the city is over (I watched from my back porch through the trees...it was an awesome show Smile)...part two is now in full swing until whenever (sound of scotch pouring over ice Cool).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Check out Salt Lake Valley:

That's a lot of money going up in smoke!

Last time I lived out there was 2011. It's so damn dry out there that they urged people to not have fireworks. Not sure if they're legal or not in Utah.
There were some small fires as I'm sure there's some tonight.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Well now I feel lucky compared to some of you guys.

Last night went on from 8 till 11 with our neighbor out back doing quite a few. Why you start before dark is a bit of a puzzler though.

And I love how one neighbor ends and the next starts right up. The dogs did a bit better. Kept the tv volume up and distracted them when needed.

Maybe if someone invented a firework that put out some non toxic gnat and mosquito killer with the smoke I'd like em better.... eh probably not.

I have heard about some being made with little to no noise at detonation. That IMHO is a terrific idea.

Hope you all had a great 4th!

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
It's sounded like a war zone around my house for the past 3-4 days. My neighbor's son that lives down east comes home for holidays and his kids love to shoot and blow up stuff, and shoot fireworks around the Fourth. I ordinarily don't care, but since I had to be up for work at 0400 this week it got a little tiresome.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
went to my car and it's covered in shit, cardboard pieces, and tons of brown dirt like crap.

found bottle rockets in my back yard too. My wife had to sweep the patio and clean all the deck furniture. It's usually not this bad

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I liked 4th of July when I lived in Anchorage as there was 19 hours of daylight between sunrise and sunset plus civil twilight the other 5 hours. Jackasses made up for it from Dec 24 to whatever day school resumed in January.

I live in an upper middle class neighborhood in which some people buy thousands of dollars of fireworks (likely an equal amount of booze) and shoot them off July 1st to 5th. Last year was my first 4th here and I returned from my friend's party to find the cul-d-sac full of spent fireworks and my lawn as well (neighbors cleaned both). It was pretty dry last year and I would've run my sprinklers a bunch had I known. This year, there was 5" of rain on the 4th but it sounded like a gun range whenever the rain paused.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
went to my car and it's covered in shit, cardboard pieces, and tons of brown dirt like crap.

found bottle rockets in my back yard too. My wife had to sweep the patio and clean all the deck furniture. It's usually not this bad

Now that really sucks. Sorry. Frown

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
".. a week prior!"
and a week after in my neighborhood.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our thoughtful neighbors, knowing full well we have a horse and goats, have no issue whatsoever in shooting loud, obnoxious aerials from within rock-throwing distance of our corrals. I spent the night of the fourth trying to comfort the goats while my wife tended to the horse. Why this shit is allowed, I'll never know.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Idiots in my neighborhood were shooting them off last night. I expect them on the actual holiday, but on a Monday night 5 days later? Inconsiderate morons!!

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Our thoughtful neighbors, knowing full well we have a horse and goats, have no issue whatsoever in shooting loud, obnoxious aerials from within rock-throwing distance of our corrals. I spent the night of the fourth trying to comfort the goats while my wife tended to the horse. Why this shit is allowed, I'll never know.

Oh no! Glad no one got out or injured. What a bunch of asses.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It's still the Fourth here, probably for another week or two until all the assholes blow through they stash.

I really don't care, I don't have dogs, I have double pane windows, and it doesn't wake me, but it's just plain rude.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Somebody lit one off around here about 2 A.M. today.

The comment made about fireworks debris on their car reminds me of an incident in the 80's.
I worked at a car dealership out west and we took in a pristine Buick Electra on trade. It was ten years old but under 80k mileage, well equipped and everything worked on it. We needed a family car so I picked it up. It also had a vinyl top on it, soft and clean, the previous owners only used the car for road trips so it normally was in a carport.

I was on duty for fire supression in town after the official fireworks display on the 4th at the college, we used to call it amateur night because every fool that could light something that would go up or go bang did so. So what do I find after chasing fires around town for four or five hours afterwards? A spent bottle rocket on my vinyl top with a burn circle on it. Adding insult to injury, it was parked alongside the main station.........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
When my kids were younger we’d make an annual trip to SC to stock up for the 4th... for the big stuff.

Now the kids are gone and I’ve got two 9 year old Labs that have to be medicated on the 4th.

We’ve had Buddy since he was a pup and his fear grew over the years. He was fine with fireworks, thunder and gun shots from my shooting range.

We adopted Greta a year ago. She was bred and lived her whole life on a horse farm In Middleburg, VA and apparently had never been exposed to gun fire or fireworks. She is scared to death of both.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loud booms nearby tonight as I type this. Fortunately our dog is like “meh” and sleeps right thru it all.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post