SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Thieves. I hate them.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thieves. I hate them. Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I view theft as taking a piece of your life. You spent some amount of your life doing something to get the money you used to pay for whatever was stolen.

I have expressed this view before.

If someone walked into a nursing home, found someone with a few days or weeks left to live and killed that person, there would be a murder charge.

Yet, someone taking something of mine that might represent a week or more of my time in wages is just theft.

Both represents the taking of a portion of someone's life.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
God, I hate thieves. If you'll accept it, I'd be happy to reimburse you for one of your tanks.

Thanks for the offer, but please save it for someone who needs it more. I'm okay, just wanted to vent. I should probably rethink the thief for helping me decide what my first Sigforum thread would be!

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Slight drift....if you're paying for electricity in your campground you might consider installing an electric element in your water heater. They are not too expensive and are easy to install.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Slight drift....if you're paying for electricity in your campground you might consider installing an electric element in your water heater. They are not too expensive and are easy to install.

I have the parts, but the old one refuses to budge. Will have a professional come help in the near future.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An impact driver should/possibly break the element loose.
The hammering and twisting action can do wonders.

With a cordless, you can slowly pull the trigger to apply the torque gradually until it breaks free.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
I baby these Scumbags after they are caught, guess what many plan to return to old ways once they are out, makes you want to vomit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
God, I hate thieves. If you'll accept it, I'd be happy to reimburse you for one of your tanks.

Thanks for the offer, but please save it for someone who needs it more. I'm okay, just wanted to vent. I should probably rethink the thief for helping me decide what my first Sigforum thread would be!

I’ll chip in for the other. If I find someone who needs it more I’ll help them too but that doesn’t mean I can’t help you. C’mon - don’t deny us the joy of doing something nice for one of the good guys!

Posts: 987 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the good guys? Me? Actually, I'm a raging asshole. (Head trauma, dontcha know.)

That aside, I appreciate the kind offers to help a complete stranger, but there's a lot of folks out there who need it more than I.

posted Hide Post
Bastards came back again this morning. I left, was gone for an hour, and came home to find the chain cut in two places. They only made off with one full tank this time, left the empty one. I'm going to have to start storing them out of sight, I guess. And I'm shopping for light mounts for my AR15 and 870. Nothing like a hat full of lead to cure criminal tendencies.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Gone for one hour?

Suspect a neighbor.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bastards came back again this morning.

Not surprising. Often thieves will return to a place at which they've already had success.

quote:
I left, was gone for an hour, and came home to find the chain cut in two places.

Suggests to me they've been watching and awaiting the opportunity.

quote:
I'm going to have to start storing them out of sight, I guess.

I suspect you'll need to do a good deal more than that.

quote:
And I'm shopping for light mounts for my AR15 and 870. Nothing like a hat full of lead to cure criminal tendencies.

Except that only works if they visit while you're there. This time they waited for you to leave.

I'd be entertaining the idea of an alarm system of some type, surveillance cams, motion-sensing floods, etc.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use hardened chain . They'll break their boltcutters .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Go to a pawn shop, get some 20 pound weights, zip tie them to a set of empty tanks, leave them unchained so the thief is dragging home heavy empty cans....

If you suspect a neighbor which makes sense that someone is watching you leave, then tag the cans with Amazon Tile BT Trackers, then you can walk through the neighborhood, find out who's got the propane cans, call the cops and let them arrest them....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
While I empathize with the OP, I must also point out that this is a virtually perfect example of "the rant." Articulate, to the point, imaginative, and well crafted.

Two thumbs way up for the rant. Two thumbs way down for the thief.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
While I empathize with the OP, I must also point out that this is a virtually perfect example of "the rant." Articulate, to the point, imaginative, and well crafted.

Two thumbs way up for the rant. Two thumbs way down for the thief.

Have I mentioned that when it comes to thieves, I'm in favor of public hanging? With a piano wire. Tied to the scrotum. And thanks for the compliment.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Go to a pawn shop, get some 20 pound weights, zip tie them to a set of empty tanks, leave them unchained so the thief is dragging home heavy empty cans....

If you suspect a neighbor which makes sense that someone is watching you leave, then tag the cans with Amazon Tile BT Trackers, then you can walk through the neighborhood, find out who's got the propane cans, call the cops and let them arrest them....

What's the range on those tile things. I like that idea. As these jerks are only stealing the full tanks, I wonder what they do with the empty ones? There has been a lot of theft in my area lately, not just my trailer park, so I don't think it's neighbors. We all tend to try to watch out for each other, even reporting problems with each other's campers.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Did someone already mention ‘game cameras’? If going all out, you can get the type that send a picture to your cell phone immediately.

If there’s a choke point to enter, don’t need the camera visible near the site. You can capture any who approach, more covertly.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
There has been a lot of theft in my area lately, not just my trailer park, so I don't think it's neighbors.

It just takes one piece of shit neighbor. He may even go to a meeting to hear what Y'all got planned for him.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Did someone already mention ‘game cameras’? If going all out, you can get the type that send a picture to your cell phone immediately.

If there’s a choke point to enter, don’t need the camera visible near the site. You can capture any who approach, more covertly.

There is a choke point, and cameras are in progress.

posted Hide Post
Getting robbed is not only a financial loss, but it affects you emotionally.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post