SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hounds and beagles... not the greatest "neighborhood dogs."
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hounds and beagles... not the greatest "neighborhood dogs." Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good grief.

They're cute and cuddly, and they're man's best friend. I get it.

But the constant -- and I mean constant -- "yorp! yorp! yoooorrrrp!" is enough to drive a wooden man crazy.

I'm clear now on why Mom didn't like us having a beagle so many years ago. Cute? As a button. Noisy? You know it.

An open letter to my neighbors, whom I'm sure will never see it:
"Dear neighbors. I like and respect you all. Please bring your baying, howling, yorping dogs indoors overnight. And whatever other times they bark incessantly. Thank you."

- - - - -
ETA:

I'm not about to call the local PD or animal control or anything... I just wanted to vent a little.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My former neighbor had a Basset Hound. I was on 3rd shift. They tied the dog outside ALL day, Monday through Friday. Basset Hounds don't woof it's more like Woooof, woooof...all day. I finally had to call a local LEO. He parked in front of their house for 30 minutes in the morning and then around noon, and issued a citation. That solved the issue.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Get some kind of loud whistle and give it a blast at 3AM during the week. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hounds and Beagles are noisy? Try living next to a neighbor who has a Chihuahua. Never shuts up and always barks at me even though it knows me.

Her damn fur baby barks at the wind.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Hounds and Beagles are noisy? Try living next to a neighbor who has a Chihuahua. Never shuts up and always barks at me even though it knows me.

Her damn fur baby barks at the wind.

Or six of the adorable little rascals. At least she’s two doors down from me.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I've had three hounds, none have been howlers or excessive barkers, in fact most have been fairly quiet, talkative only when wanting attention or food, then again we do not chain them up in the yard for hours...

Daughter has two dogs, a Chiweenie and a Rescue mix, The Chiweenie is the instigator at any noise and the rescue follows feeling its time to bark, the hound just looks at them as if to say, STFU i'm napping....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had three hounds, none have been howlers or excessive barkers, in fact most have been fairly quiet, talkative only when wanting attention or food, then again we do not chain them up in the yard for hours

+1
My 3rd Beagle just looks at yappy dogs like "what is wrong with you".

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
My wife had made Ruby into a lap dog.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor 3 houses down had a beagle who would bark all day long, when left outside, which is thankfully FAR less than it used to be. And the PoS would escape a few times per year, and started to attack my dog twice until a stout kick in the chest and the running-over dog owner saved the day.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
My 3rd Beagle just looks at yappy dogs like "what is wrong with you".

Haha! My neighbor's pair are polar opposites. The one howls with every fiber of his being, like it's the last howl he'll ever howl. His "brother" just look around like nothing at all is happening, much like the look on your pup.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
My parents had neighbors behind the house that kept their dog outdoors. The dog barked this cadence...

Woof woof woof, pause, woof woof woof, pause, woof woof woof, double pause, woof. Repeat for hours...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The deep-pitched bark or howl of scent hounds is great if you're tracking a critter (animal or human), not so great in the city with houses less than, say, half a mile apart. I actually like it, having grown up with or been around a number of coonhounds. It gets on my nerve much less than high-pitched, shrill barking. But there is no reason for constant barking. Leaving them alone (they like their people as much or more than any dog), and especially tied up, is a great way to trigger it. My brother has an adopted Bluetick who is generally pretty quiet unless a critter "invades" his yard.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I get upset over the hypocrisy of "animal lovers" who have 70 plus pound hunting / working dogs in suburbia and / or apartments. I see it all the time around me. Ol' Roscoe the 90 pound coon hound who should be out working the hills all day and night is stuck in a 1100 square foot apartment with nothing to do and all day to do it in.

I was actually told by one of these people that they didn't like the way my dog was "vocalizing", whatever the hell that means. It makes me fell bad for the pooch.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bigboreshooter, your dog Ruby looks like our rescue dog Molly.We figure she has some Beagle in her but no clue to what other breed. Is your Ruby a Beagle mix? If so, any idea what other breed is mixed in?

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post