SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Revolver Malfunctions On First Trip To The Range
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Revolver Malfunctions On First Trip To The Range Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I have no clue on the profit margin on newly manufactured guns. But the cost of receiving and fixing bad ones has got to be high. Its why I prefer a used gun to a new one. Sure, some folks will sell a defective gun to let the next guy handle it. So buy your used guns a little worn.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I looked for something similar, used. No joy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I realize it's a PITA, but I hope Ruger at least takes care of it for you. I remember the thread where you bought that one, and I could have sworn it would be a keeper...in fact I was looking at a SP101 in .22lr myself at the time, but that one got away. I own quite a few Ruger revolvers, have used them pretty heavily, and have been very happy with all of them. I'm sorry it worked out like this for you.

Posts: 8416 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your misfortune; it seems that the more gun manufacturers upgrade to the newest whizbang production processes like “precision” CNC machines which in theory should be bombproof (laughable) and less hands on fine tuning, the more issues they have. This is the same. There is a reason older guns have fewer issues. They were hand fitted, hand tuned, and hand inspected beyond firing a round or two to make sure they go “bang”. Rburg is right; for the most part, an older, seasoned (not abused or worn out) specimen is the way to go.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I respectfully disagree. You could take 10 modern CNC machined guns break them down into pins and parts and reassemble 10 completely different guns. The aura of the “hand fitted” days is partly mythology. They were hand fitted because they had to be to make them work. You take 10 old guns and some of the parts will just have to be fitted to a different frame or they won’t fit/work.

Yes an old gun that has been shot a bunch is great. It’s not magic though.

A better gun would be a CNC’d gun with exacting tolerances AND then a Ruger employee putting a bit of time in. That would produce a better product. Clearly to me, Ruger is skimping on the second part.

I like buying parts knowing they will more than likely drop right in. My 40 year old S&W 67 is doubtful that much would “drop right in”. That’s not a plus to me. Ymmv.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Back before they put CNC machines in at Harley, the engine production line for Sportsters had a huge failure rate, something like 20% a day would not pass testing at the end of the line.

Learned that the first time I took the engine plant tour, a few years later went back to Milwaukee and retook the tour again, and they had converted from manual assembly and machining to CNC machines. The rejection rate at the end of the production line was something like less than half of a pct. A Massive improvement.

Quality much improved with CNC, cost remain lower overall.

Ruger is a good company, be interesting to hear what they find/fix when they return it..

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger is a good company, be interesting to hear what they find/fix when they return it..
I just received a FedEx shipping label from Ruger. I'll try to drop the package at FedEx this afternoon. Will post an update when I have more information.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My money is on it will be back within a week give or take a day or two. Ruger still gets my money even with the hiccups.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I respectfully disagree. You could take 10 modern CNC machined guns break them down into pins and parts and reassemble 10 completely different guns. The aura of the “hand fitted” days is partly mythology. They were hand fitted because they had to be to make them work. You take 10 old guns and some of the parts will just have to be fitted to a different frame or they won’t fit/work.

Yes an old gun that has been shot a bunch is great. It’s not magic though.

A better gun would be a CNC’d gun with exacting tolerances AND then a Ruger employee putting a bit of time in. That would produce a better product. Clearly to me, Ruger is skimping on the second part.

I like buying parts knowing they will more than likely drop right in. My 40 year old S&W 67 is doubtful that much would “drop right in”. That’s not a plus to me. Ymmv.

Agreed.

Everybody has been getting slammed with extreme demand for a solid year now. Occurrences such as what the OP experienced with his new revolver are more common.

Increased number of shifts, longer shifts, a surge of temporary and new hires, etc, etc, within the company and all throughout each of their vendors and suppliers. I don't offer this as an excuse in an attempt to justify a company putting out failing products, but merely to highlight what factors are at work behind the scene. Basically - a bunch of new workers being pressured to get products out the door in an attempt to stave off incredible demand from the public.

Personally, I'm very leery of buying anything newly manufactured within the last year and for some time after this craziness ends.. ( whenever that will be. ) ammo, guns, etc.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

My money is on it will be back within a week give or take a day or two.
Just received email from Ruger, they have it now, and anticipate a one week turnaround.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Ruger pistols are modular.

I consider their action the apex of revolver evolution.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Ruger pistols are modular.

I consider their action the apex of revolver evolution.
I know very little about the design and workings of these. I'm also aware that you have a lot more knowledge in this area that I do.

Maybe you could give me a short "Dummies" explanation?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Not Mars but I will try. Open the sideplate on a Smith and it is a hodgepodge of little parts that all work together to fire the gun. Literally you could shake the gun and end up with a dozen plus parts in your lap. On a Ruger, the modularity is quite apparent. The trigger group comes out and it’s all one unit. Trigger guard, trigger, transfer bar, etc. The frame is one piece, no sideplate, no screws, no weak spots. There is one pin that is the hammer pin, remove that and hammer drops out. Coil springs unlike the bigger Smiths which still surprisingly use the flat springs.

A Ruger That has a good trigger is design wise, light years stronger and more durable than a S&W. This from a S&W fan. (Other than the lock ugh).

If I needed a do anything go anywhere had to work revolver it isn’t even a challenge to pick Ruger. I would buy a Ruger, have a good trigger job done and never look back. It’s a modern design among the much less modern competition. (Never looked inside a Kimber or other revolver of modern design ie Korth or Chiapas so those I have no idea)

My favorite revolver all time has become my 3 inch Wiley Clapp edition GP100. Only change was substituting the full size grip which was wildly out of proportion for the compact. Shot it a ton, wouldn’t even get it a trigger job at this point. Maybe get it cut for moon clips. Pinnacle is a good word.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: The Ruger Mother Ship received the revolver this past Thursdy (four days ago).

Incoming email this afternoon, customer service declined to state what the problem was, but "as a gesture of good will" they would like to replace it with a new one.

"Gesture of good will?" I certainly hope so! A new, supposedly high quality revolver that managed to fire two rounds before failure.

They wanted to send to a dealer, I requested that they send to Pawn Shop Guy, my friendly FFL, who is more convenient and gives better and faster service than the Ruger Authorized Dealers I know of.

Shipping is on their nickel, they will reimburse for transfer fee, so the total cost to me has been a bit of aggravation, being without the gun that I bought, the time wasted in a failed range trip, time to package the gun, time and gas to drive to FedEx to ship it to them, time and gas to drive to Pawn Shop Guy to get replacement, and time to send receipt for incurred costs, for reimbursement. Other than those, no cost to me.

I will update again when I receive it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I know it’s been a pain in the ass but shit happens even with the best manufacturers. Chalk it up to bad luck. Now if you got ANOTHER Ruger product that crapped out early it would make me wary of their quality. M

I hope the new piece is perfect and gives you many giggles.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well at least they didn't waggle the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate at ya....

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
A new, supposedly high quality revolver that managed to fire two rounds before failure.

Hey, that's twice as good as two guns I've had in the past. A Taurus PT945 and an early SIG 1911 both went one shot (the round in the chamber) before failing.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You have to wonder what's going on with product quality when you see this sort of statement on a manufacturer's website:
quote:
https://ruger.com/dataProcess/customerService/:

"We also request that you treat our hard-working Customer Service representatives with respect. We will not respond to submissions that contain vulgar language or are abusive to our staff."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
You have to wonder what's going on with product quality when you see this sort of statement on a manufacturer's website:
quote:

"We also request that you treat our hard-working Customer Service representatives with respect. We will not respond to submissions that contain vulgar language or are abusive to our staff."

I too have had an issue with factory fresh GP-100 so I completely get your frustration. My guess is that you didn't call Ruger and start screaming at their staff (using obscene language).

Maybe I'm way off, but I think this is driven by the lack of manners on the part of customers as opposed to an increased QC problem by Ruger.

It is also probably driven by corporate policy. I'm employed by a service business. If you call and scream at our employees or use obesities, we will stop doing business with you (customer or vendor). To require an employee to work with customers that are 'abusive' would place our company at risk of a lawsuit (by the employee). I would not be surprised if Ruger (or any other manufacturer) refused to work with a customer that abused their staff.

Sorry you've had issues with the GP-100. Hope the new one arrives soon.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Probably more an issue with belligerent customers, who think being an ass is a way to secure more benefits from the process..