SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Revolver Malfunctions On First Trip To The Range
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Revolver Malfunctions On First Trip To The Range Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too have had an issue with factory fresh GP-100 so I completely get your frustration. My guess is that you didn't call Ruger and start screaming at their staff (using obscene language).
You are correct. Actually, I did not call, telephone is a terrible option for me because hearing aids.

I sent email, short and to the point. Just the facts. On the third day I sent a follow-up via the "Tell Our CEO" on the website, repeating the original email and stating that customer service was dragging their heels, three days and the promised RMA had not been received because customer service was still "checking with management." Twenty minutes later I had the RMA and a pre-paid shipping label.

I do know that belligerent demeanor is counter-productive in these situations, I can understand but not condone that sort of thing from frustrated customers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
You have to wonder what's going on with product quality when you see this sort of statement on a manufacturer's website:
quote:
https://ruger.com/dataProcess/customerService/:

"We also request that you treat our hard-working Customer Service representatives with respect. We will not respond to submissions that contain vulgar language or are abusive to our staff."

Has nothing to do with product quality. You wouldn't believe the number of CSRs to whom I've spoken, in all manner of products and services, when I've been annoyed and spoken what I regard to be quite forcefully, that have responded with things like "Oh, you're fine. You should hear some of the things some people say to us."

People often treat CSRs like garbage.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have to wonder what's going on with product quality when you see this sort of statement on a manufacturer's website:
quote:

"We also request that you treat our hard-working Customer Service representatives with respect. We will not respond to submissions that contain vulgar language or are abusive to our staff."

After more than a year of unnatural social pressure, Americans in every walk of life are getting crabbier.

Business owners are having to enunciate their expectations for the behavior of their employees and their customers, both.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Nice to see an employer NOT demand that their call center staff be someones verbal pin cushion.

Subject change: Glad your lemon GP is being replaced.

Posts: 3145 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience shows the reverse is quite often the norm. You call about a problem and the CSR is openly dismissive and off putting. As much as I swear in my normal activities I don’t swear in my “professional” life. It seems like a lot of these CSR’s give such bad service hoping a call degenerates enough that the customer swears so they can disconnect.

I’ve had enough stupidly bad experiences where they were clearly at fault yet they were trying to do nothing that I have very little empathy for the average CSR. They give just as much as they get. I don’t believe in cussing at people on the phone but I understand why it sometimes happens. You should call my bank sometime to sort out an error on their part. The patience of Job is required, that and going to the next level where the CS part of the equation starts getting some traction.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Re Pedro's post above, I do not have the patience of Job. I do not use telephone because hearing aids, I use the chat function if it is offered.

If I encounter a stupid or unhelpful CSR, I go into the "broken record" mode, where my response to everything that the CSR says, is "Please escalate this. Please connect me to your supervisor."

Fortunately, that method has not been needed with the particular problem that this thread is about (yet). We shall see what happens tomorrow, when the replacement GP-100 is scheduled for delivery to my FFL.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A whole new gun really makes me want to know what they couldn’t fix.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I too, would like to know. I have asked them twice, they have refused to answer.

Short of getting them in a small room and beating them with rubber hoses, I don't know how to get that information.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Replacement revolver received, 100 rounds fired, seems to be OK. Could be a little more accurate, I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the shooter. Wink

Receipt for FFL transfer fee submitted to Ruger customer service, waiting for reimbursement.

Ruger continues to rebuff all requests for information re failure cause of original revolver.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Glad you got the replacement!

Maybe the Ruger tech didn't dig into the reasons - just figured it was obvious it needed to be replaced.

I found a set of Uncle Mike's grips on eBay for my Ruger. A friend that shot a lot of revolver recommended them. They are no longer made and can be hard to find and pricey but I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. (If you want to find them the best search phrases I've used on eBay are Uncle Grip* Or Butler Grip. eBay's search isn't that strong and the item might be listed as Uncle Mike's or Uncle Mikes and/or listed as Butler Creek grips)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can understand Ruger not wanting to share information on the pistol . While most people would automatically assume some kind of conspiracy , there's another reason . In this day of Internet forums and social media , facts often get lost or twisted every time something is shared . A simple out of spec part that slipped through QC can turn into a " whole product line that is under a major recall "by the time the story gets repeated a few times . As long as they made it right , that's the part that should be shared . I know I'm in the minority here , but whatever .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
eh, it's back, it works, other than curiosity, does it matter since they replaced it... Like SElogic says, loose lips sink ships, there's a ton of social media warriors who'd think nothing of starting a shit storm over whatever it was.

Ruger has nothing to gain by sharing information.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Could it be that sending the gun through the shop might take weeks or months, if they are really busy, while a replacement pistol is on the shelf and ready to go immediately? Therefore, perhaps they sent you a replacement to maintain a high level of service. They cannot tell you what is wrong with the old gun because they do not yet know, and when they finally get to it, you will have already been made whole per the warranty with the replacement pistol, so updating you would be pointless.

This is just me guessing at a likely reason why you received a replacement. I bet they are up to their eyeballs fulfilling new orders, and would just rather replace than diagnose until things get back to normal, especially on something in less demand like a revolver where they probably have stock on hand.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:

Has nothing to do with product quality. You wouldn't believe the number of CSRs to whom I've spoken, in all manner of products and services, when I've been annoyed and spoken what I regard to be quite forcefully, that have responded with things like "Oh, you're fine. You should hear some of the things some people say to us."

People often treat CSRs like garbage.

I can assure you, it isn't limited to just one industry. In the vet field, people will say horrible things to my techs that they'd never dream of telling their doctor or dentist. Accuse us of ripping them off for recommending that we test for heartworms since you're 5 months behind on the prevention that has a label saying to give it monthly, for example...

V, I'm very glad they replaced the gun and the new one is working for you. I'd be curious about the details too, but at least you're burning gunpowder now. Smile

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have found that the quality on Ruger revolvers can vary a lot. I have a 4" GP100 that I shot in IDPA for several years that was just excellent and had a 6" GP100 that was one of the most accurate pistols I ever owned. And I have a Security Six made in 1979 that is still going good. But I had a 6" Security Six that was terrible. Never had a revolver with that much slack everywhere. I got rid of it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:

I have found that the quality on Ruger revolvers can vary a lot.
Very disappointing. I bought the Ruger because I could not find a .22 Smith & Wesson locally. My belief, from reputation that I have always heard, was that the Rugers in general are not as refined as the S&W revolvers, but are built like anvils and just as reliable and indestructible as anvils.

My faith in Rugers is now shaken.

My wife's carry gun is a Ruger .357 that she has not really shot that much. I guess we better put a bunch of rounds through it to try to verify its reliability.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Well, I will disagree slightly. I own a bunch of Smith’s and numerous Rugers. The Rugers are easily more stout, better designed, and will outlast any Smith. Like any gun the first couple hundred rounds will tell the tale. Your gun and my gun that we sent back exhibited the same issue. When I got mine back it has been rock solid and based on the Ruger simplicity and robustness of design I am confident it will remain that way.

I sent one back. It annoyed the hellout of me but it didn’t shake my belief that the Ruger is a hell for strong design. You got a lemon is all. Nothing more than that.

I’m not qualified to not tell you to hold a grudge. I still am pissed at Sig for how they handled an issue with one of my 320’s. I hated their nonchalance, their attitude, I hated that even though they did what I was demanding they couldn’t resist getting a dig in at me at the same time. I have since been selling my 320’s and haven’t dropped a tear. Great gun but fuck them. (I did buy a 365 but I’m divesting myself of Sig. Sold my 228’s, Legion is next. Might keep my Mk25and 365 but Sig is DOA to me so I hear you.)

posted Hide Post
A few years back I bought a beautiful Marlin 39A . First range trip , it locked up after the sixth round . Crushed the empty case and wouldn't do anything . Had to send it back . They turned it around fairly quick but I was still pretty disappointed that it happened .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post