SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Revolver Malfunctions On First Trip To The Range
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Revolver Malfunctions On First Trip To The Range Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Disappointing maiden voyage to the range today with a new Ruger GP-100 revolver. I really thought that these revolvers were quality stuff. Frown

Initially fired a few rounds just fine. Then the problem showed itself. The hammer would move back maybe 1/4" to 1/2" and then stop, as if encountering a brick wall.

Did not matter whether I was trying to shoot single action, cocking the hammer, or double action, squeezing the trigger, same problem either way.

Unloaded the revolver and tried cocking the hammer with an empty cylinder. Same problem, it would work just fine sometimes, and hammer would hit the brick wall when starting to cock, at other times.

Had a relay conversation (Florida telephone relay service for hearing impaired) with Ruger Customer Service, planning to take the revolver back to the dealer where I bought it, let them send it to the Ruger Mother Ship.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Sorry this happened with your new toy, but it happens--sometimes even with much more expensive, higher-end firearms. Ruger will make it right.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your transfer bar might be hitting the firing pin. Not that it matters at this point, but try pointing it straight up in the air and cocking it.

Like so many other companies, Ruger QC has slipped a great deal in recent years. IIRC there are no Ruger's running Ruger anymore and that's in large part why.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My New Vaquero I bought in 2015 did that. Then it stopped doing it and now the cylinder free spins. The pawl screw or whatever was loose and interfering with the transfer bar, until it fell out and got lost.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I doubt it’s to serious. I would make sure it’s clean & clear under the ‘ejector star’. If it’s not seated completely it will bind up the action as described.

Besides that check a few things mentioned above, no need for any disassembly.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Disappointing maiden voyage to the range today with a new Ruger GP-100 revolver. I really thought that these revolvers were quality stuff. Frown

I took my GP-100 10mm to Don Williams for a general action clean-up/polish. He mentioned to me he is very disappointed in what is coming out of the GP-100 factory these days. He said he sees bits from the machining process left behind in the action.

This may not be your problem, but just a data point from a well-respected gunsmith.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

I would make sure it’s clean & clear under the ‘ejector star’. If it’s not seated completely it will bind up the action as described.
We can eliminate that as a possible cause. It does the same thing with the cylinder open. The ejector is not involved when the cylinder is swung out of the frame.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ruger has an excellent reputation for CS. I'm sure that they will make it right.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have no doubt that they will take care of it, but it is a Royal Pain In The Ass to have to
  • take a half day for a wasted trip to the gun club,

• take the time and burn the gas to make TWO trips to a dealer, one to send the revolver back to Ruger, and a second trip to retrieve it,

• be without a supposedly high quality handgun from a supposedly high quality manufacturer for the time that it takes to make the round trip and sit on the queue of guns awaiting service,
all because of shitty or non-existent quality control and / or QA testing at the factory, prior to shipping.

I now question whether buying anything further from Ruger is a good idea.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have sent back more than one Ruger in my time as a shooter. A blued 3 inch .38 Special GP100 last year that locked up during a range session. Cylinder would not close. I had to pay shipping since the revolver was more than 2 years old. It came back with instructions about how to clean it Roll Eyes but otherwise they seemed to do very little to it other than clean away whatever stopped the cylinder from closing. I now take extra care to clean it more thoroughly and lube the cylinder latch and it seems to work fine.

My SP101 in .38 was such an epic lemon I sent it back. The cylinder would not index in DA mode the same for all 5 chambers, 3 would index to SA ok, 2 would not. The most troubling thing was very off center primer hits. The firing pin hole in the frame was bored off center so it misfired 2 out of 5 rounds. Ruger paid for the shipping on that and to their credit agreed that it was an epic lemon and will replace it. I should have it in April.

Had another GP100 in .38 this one in stainless that has been flawless out of the box. My 9mm PC Carbine has been an ace out of the box too. My .357 Vaquero seems to be also a winner out of the box but I have only put maybe 100 rounds through it so far.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's sad, but it seems that even in a line of good guns from a good company - lemons happen, just like with cars. It's when the lemon percentage starts rising that it pays to start avoiding that line or that company. Not sure how to find real data for it though. All you can do is troll forums and look at complaints (keeping the dates in mind). A few each year is no big deal, but when it's multiple complaints in the same year....

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
A few each year is no big deal,

Unless you get one of the "few". Then its a big deal. Ruger should make hammers and wheelbarrows.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
A few each year is no big deal,

Unless you get one of the "few". Then its a big deal. Ruger should make hammers and wheelbarrows.

You're right of course. I was just thinking from the standpoint of "I'm never going to buy XYZ brand again"

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Haven't had to send back any Ruger, but I"ve sent back a Sig, a P250 back, couldn't get through a single mag without jamming.

Sig did fix it but it got traded after it was returned, in good working order but I didn't trust it to carry at the time, plus I'd already bought others...

I'm surprised you had to take it back to the LGS, Sig issued a call tag direct to me, boxed it up and gave it to the Fed Ex guy., They drop shipped the gun back to my office when done, no LGS involved.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I'm surprised you had to take it back to the LGS, Sig issued a call tag direct to me, boxed it up and gave it to the Fed Ex guy., They drop shipped the gun back to my office when done, no LGS involved.
Lesser of the two weevils.

The UPS pick-up and return would require that somebody be home all day, two days, until UPS got around to picking up, and then delivering.

I have too much to do, to sit around on my narrow ass waiting for them to show up. If they actually show up on the day that they're supposed to.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Thats really sad to hear. My GP-100 .357 has been indestructible for the 2o years + that I've had it, I got it to carry in the woods and when fishing and the trust I have in it to function every time is 100% total.

Sure, Ruger will fix it, but on top of the time and energy it has already cost you it will have to earn your trust in it. It will be harder for you to trust it beyond the range now that it started off by letting you down.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will be harder for you to trust it beyond the range
It never was going to be much more that a range gun, maybe a pest killer.

Certainly not home defense, or carry.

It's the GP-100 in .22 cal (10 rounds of .22 short, .22 long, or .22 LR).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a bad Ruger, Beretta, Sig and Kimber that all had to go back. By far the best of the CS experiences was Ruger. Beretta was the worst. I also have a bad Taurus that needs to go back but it’s been over a year and I’ve yet to deal with that one.

But I own far more Ruger’s than any other gun so one bad one isn’t too bad, especially considering it was a early model original .327 Fed Mag.

Sorry to hear you got a bad one but Ruger will make it right. They stand by their products.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what happened with my SP101 in 22lr. Sent it in they fixed it. I agree it sucks that it didn’t work first time.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
At the price that these things sell for, there is absolutely no excuse for the factory shipping defective products.

"Ruger will make it right" just doesn't cut it.

This is something that never should have happened, and judging from some of the experiences that y'all have related, above, this is far from an isolated occurrence.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים