SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Darn Boats
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darn Boats Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Almost all winterization instructions begin with draining the block. Installing anti freeze into the cooling system results in an unknown concentration of anti freeze. This method also leaves debris in the cooling system that drains out when starting the winterization by draining.

Core plugs are for removing casting sand during manufacturing. Freeze plugs isn't really the proper name or purpose. Small block Chevys haven't had them for a while.

I know a guy who thought all he had to do to winterize his new boat was put fuel stabilizer in. He replaced his engine with 6 hours on it.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dealer says needs a new engine and new exhaust manifolds. They said that the manifold had internal freeze damage, but they didn't really comment or elaborate on the cylinder head. It's not a cheap fix. There are a couple of other local mechanics that can do the job. One who I probably trust more than the dealer, but he is so in demand that he can literally pick and choose what he wants to work on. Once I get the written quote in hand, I'll do some shopping.

The dealer provides a Warranty so that will have to factor in as well.

So much for any "fun" money for a while.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The boat is back on the water and running great. I've got about 15 hours on the new engine so far.

It took 6 weeks for the dealer to complete the job and about an $8700 repair bill. They were able to re-use the old exhaust risers so that saved a bit of money, although they had to replace the fuel pump which cancelled out any savings (they showed me the old pump and insulation had melted off wires inside the fuel tank, so they caught a huge issue that I never would have found).

During the process, communication was poor and I had been given completion dates that were wrong twice. When I finally got the boat home and spent some time going over things, I found several small issues that should never have been (wires not reconnected, relays not mounted, a few extra screws/bolts laying around). They sent someone out the next day to correct all the issues i found.

The cherry on all this is that i decided to address an issue I've had with the throttle controls for a while. That cost me an additional $860 in parts. And I've got three locked up/dragging calipers on the trailer which I haven't even begun to diagnose apart from making sure the brake actuator isn't engaged.

Damn these things are expensive. At least we've got a long season in NC to enjoy boating.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Eek

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$8700?!?! That seems really high! Is it a whole new motor?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
$8700?!?! That seems really high! Is it a whole new motor?

Whole new motor, new fuel pump, tune up kit, came out to about 6800 with taxes, the rest was labor. The fuel pump was a big part of that since they have to disassemble the entire back of the boat to get to it.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Flies, Floats, or Fucks —> Rent it.

Frown

Tits, Tires, Transistors and Transoms = Troubles. Big Grin

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Flies, Floats, or Fucks —> Rent it.

OR

Bring
Out
Another
Thousands

Frown

If it flies, make someone else rent it pay you to drive it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it will last you without repair for a while.
We went through the boat thing for a while.
We really loved the peaceful feeling boating can give you.
It was work keeping the boat in good shape, not to mention the cost.
We have been boat free for a while now.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Boat=a hole in the water you fill with money.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I grounded my prop at speed. Yeah!

Monday its off to the prop shop. At least it didn't ruin the weekend. I didn't have a spare, but I'm going to order one next week. $500 to Delta Prop seems like a bargain against what you've gone through this year. Glad your back up and running.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post