SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Amazon login: Additional authentication required?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon login: Additional authentication required? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
I used to get this every once in a while. Either asking to confirm the expiration date of a credit card, which I hated, because I'm trying to log in from work and the card is at home, or by sending me an email with an authentication number.

Once in a while was a pain, but I dealt with it. Now it wants it every time I log in. Which is several times a day usually. Is everyone getting this or does my account look suspicious or something? I can see Amazon wanting me to confirm it's me if I'm buying something, but I'm just trying to watch a stinking Tv show on prime.

Put the extra authentication before you process the purchase! As it is I often have to log in a second time to purchase something anyway, make me "prove" it's me then. Grumble grumble.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Have not had that issue. Could be logging on from different computers is the issue.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've never gotten a request to confirm date of a CC for Amazon.
When I do deal w/ Amazon, It's from two diff. computers and a tablet, but (almost?) always from home IP.
I do all my banking/cc stuff from the same computer because they always jump on the one-off difference in IP address if I don't.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two factor authentication. It is for your protection. Most government sites have this. You can thank hackers for that.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Same people that bitch about this cry about being hacked.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Yes. Very frustrating since their captcha(sp?) doesn't work for me most of the time either.
Which leads to the "A one time passcode has been sent..." hassle.

The bastards rule the planet and fail at this basic level? FML.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Have not had that issue. Could be logging on from different computers is the issue.

Well as of late it's all been from the same computer. Haven't deleted their cookies. Don't know why it's doing it.

An example... I'm currently logged in to Amazon, watching The Expanse. Another window (same browser) is open to Amazon, looking at a certain shooting accessory. Purchased it, and in doing so I had to log in again, despite being logged in already. Not big deal, I'm fine with that. My point is, THAT is when they should be doing the additional authentication. Not the first time. Unless they're worried about hackers watching The Expanse. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've been logged into Amazon continuously on one of my browsers on my computer literally for months. Just accessed it from the tablet I'm using now with no additional authentication required. I've never seen these additional authentication steps required.

BTW: Asking you things like your card's expiration date is not two-factor authentication (2FA). 2FA is two of: Something you know (e,g.: password), something you have (e.g.: your phone--with which you can receive a messaged token), or something you are (e.g.: biometric data such as a fingerprint).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I don't get the 2FA, or a prompt to verify a credit card. I have noticed that Amazon (at least for me) has gone to two screens to login. The first screen takes your username, and the second your password. Once in a great while, I'll get the traditional screen where username and password are entered at once. The only time I get asked for a password for checking out is when my session has been a long one.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When installing the prime video app on my TV I had to login in to my amazon account to obtain a code. The TV began to act up and I had to reinstall the app several items. That was a real pain in the butt.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post