SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Someone stole my 1997 Honda Civic...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Someone stole my 1997 Honda Civic... Login/Join 
Picture of Sig M11
posted
So I got back from picking up my kids and taking them to school because they missed the bus...again.

Only to notice an empty parking space in the spot I left my POS Honda.

We had some snow yesterday so it was clear that they towed it out last night or this morning.

My initial thought was...

Who is stealing 21 year old Hondas?

Pros: I was thinking about putting some money into getting this car a little more up to speed and giving it to one of the kids to learn how to drive. At least, I didn't blow +$1,000 only to lose it.

Cons: Sucker was at 83,000 and ran pretty well.

Most annoyed that I had a bunch of CrossFit gear in the trunk...

At least the guys in the local Chop Shop will be getting in shape.

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Most definitely someone stole it for parts.

I feel your pain about stolen workout gear. Awhile back someone broke into my 1983 Toyota Tercel and stole my leather backpack full of sweaty gym clothes. At least they had the decency to break out the cheapest window of my car.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Late 90's/early 2000's Hondas are notoriously easy to steal, unfortunately.

When I was working mall security, we had maybe a dozen legitimately stolen vehicles (as opposed to forgetting where they parked), and IIRC they were all Hondas or Acuras (Integras specifically).

One of my coworkers who was a real Honda enthusiast showed me how on some Civics and the Integras you can make a fist and hit part of the door, and the window simply falls open.

The Assistant Director drove a 2001 Integra, and booted it AND put a club on it when he arrived at work...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Oh shit I'd better beef up the security on my 2003 Civic... Razz

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most Honda cars stolen in Arizona end up in Mexico. They need Honda parts, too.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. I understand being attached to a vehicle everyone else thinks should have been put out to pasture long ago.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Guess the kids best not miss the bus for a while, eh?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Guess the kids best not miss the bus for a while, eh?

Hope springs eternal... Big Grin

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Well, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. I understand being attached to a vehicle everyone else thinks should have been put out to pasture long ago.
At 83,000 miles it was just broke in. That Civic could run for a couple more decades if taken care of. I hope the thieves get nailed.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
21 y/o car only had 83k miles on it, and ran pretty well? I wouldn't call it a POS.

Q

Posts: 26341 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who is stealing 21 year old Hondas?
1990s and early 2000s Civics, especially the two-door coupe (but many parts from the sedan interchange), are popular with sport-compact wannabe racers. You know the type - large noisy "fart-can" mufflers, body molding kits left unpainted or at most primered (it's $$$ to do a proper paint job), "cold air intakes" that are in the hottest part of the engine bay, add-on trunk wings, that sort of thing. You'll probably never see the car again. Its parts will have been stripped and are probably on a dozen different "ricers" by now.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Oh shit I'd better beef up the security on my 2003 Civic... Razz

I drive an '04. My worry is that some shithead who doesn't know about chipped keys will mangle the column trying to steal it. I'd like to think that so far the obvious presence of a manual transmission has deterred the amateurs.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
21 y/o car only had 83k miles on it, and ran pretty well? I wouldn't call it a POS.

I hear you regarding mileage/age, but some areas of the body can get pretty rusty and ragged on that generation, especially in a place like PA with winters and road salt. I'm pricing hoods for my '04 as it's developing cluster like rust bubbles on the hood. It seems like almost every hood I see on parts cars has the same issue.

208,000 miles and I love her. Honda folks love their rides.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
1997 Honda Civic

Was it that green/blue called "teal?" Big Grin A popular color in that era.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
1997 Honda Civic

Was it that green/blue called "teal?" Big Grin A popular color in that era.

Black...and when I say Black I mean Black with large parts of gray from being in the sun for 21 years.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
IIRC, that year was right before Honda started putting chip in key immobilizer systems in their cars. So that make them more theft-worthy.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Surprised it took them this long to get around to it.

We have 90’s Honda’s stolen so frequently that I am starting to recognize the license plates.

Don’t be so sure on being parted out or taken out of state, half the ones we find are located in a day or two and within 10 miles from where they are taken from.

When I first started the 911 gig 25+ years ago I was amazed at the number of beaters that were stolen. It is the majority of thefts, turns out that there is a certain element in society that would just as soon steal a car to go get groceries instead of wait for a bus.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post