SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Okay, ready to get off the M-Lok and Keymod train
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay, ready to get off the M-Lok and Keymod train Login/Join 
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted
It was fun, it was cute, now how about we go back to tried and true quad rails like the good Lord intended.

Looking at rails for a build. Holy shit, I don't want your M-Lok or Keymod crap. The fad is over. Looks like Larue or DD will be getting my business. Either them, or the Centurion Arms CMR system, which does "modularity" and "weight savings" the right way.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Quad Rail hurts, you need a glove. I'm about to change an upper I have from quad to Keymod so I don't have to wear a glove. Plus I have a small hand can't get a super good grip and no longer use vertical grips/handles. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
In addition to the "cheese grater" issue, quad rails introduce unnecessary weight and bulk.

Why have all that extra metal hanging on your rifle, if you only need to attach one or two small accessories? And why use a rail at all if you can get an accessory that attaches directly to the handguard?

Besides, there are other options besides just Keymod, MLOK, or quad rail. Like the aforementioned Centurion CMR, Troy Alpha, Midwest Industries SS, or one of the various tube handguards.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My AR has a fixed carrying handle. I've had it that long.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I am very fond of MLOK, my new DD M4V11 feels so nice and slim.

I agree with Para, if the locking screw on the item you are attaching does not spin freely, you are going to have one hell of a time. Everything I attached, light, forward grip and small piece of MagPul rail for the light, was easy peasy, except the MagPul section; some type of factory thread locker on the screws that kept the tabs from spinning; God awful time.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you like quad rails, I would suggest Daniel Defense.

Their rails have always been machined very nicely, with few sharp edges, good radiusing, and using minimal material.

If I was going to get a quad-rail, Daniel Defense and KAC are the first two manufacturers I'd look at.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
The Larue quad rail profile is very nice. However, that "donut" oy vey. They seriously need to devise a less obtrusive method of attachment.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I have the DD quad. I got it just before they offered the key mod. I was kind of miffed, because I like the idea.

But no matter. My next one will have a different system with a little lighter weight, maybe not a full rail. Or something.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
My AR has a fixed carrying handle. I've had it that long.

No rail(s) here either. In fact, I'm so dumb on the issue that I have no idea about MLOK, key or whatever.
I have iron sights, an Eotech and that's it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monk:
It was fun, it was cute, now how about we go back to tried and true quad rails like the good Lord intended.

Looking at rails for a build. Holy shit, I don't want your M-Lok or Keymod crap. The fad is over. Looks like Larue or DD will be getting my business. Either them, or the Centurion Arms CMR system, which does "modularity" and "weight savings" the right way.

I think it's plenty safe to say that modular rails are not a "fad" and are here to stay. The question is still whether one standard dies out like VHS and betamax, but right now they seem to be strongly coexisting.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Considering MLOK just got a bonafide military contract through SOCOM, I'm guessing it's not going anywhere. KeyMod, not so certain. I do enjoy the slimmer lines and reduced weight of forends... that said, both of my ARs have quad rails - one was built prior to the advent of this fancy technology, and the other (Sig 516G2 upper) was the only way I could get it. I'd have ordered it with an MLOK forend if I could have.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Big, big fan of the DD M4A1. (Like M-Lok rails too)

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
IN for the Keymod accessory karma!

Wink

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that's awesome!

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
It's not going away.

Quad rails, largely, will.

Cost, comfort...the writing is on the wall for market share.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
After I set up my MPX pistol with an extension tube covered in foam and a forward hand stop, LED backup light, and an optic, I would love to be able to afford doing all of my m4s in Key Lock.
Significant weight reduction for these tired old muscles.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
M-Lok has won.

The Winner

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I am not sure I would like it on a full length (16") gun, but my LMT MRP SBR (12") sure balances nicely. There is a place for quad rails, but I don't think it is on regular sized guns.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Now that you all have informed me that my rifle is not up to SOCOM standards, I must replace my quad rail. This means I have to come up with 25% of the price of the rifle for a matching M-Lok rail, as well as installation labor. How is that pricing moral? 25% of the original rifle cost?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post