SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Calling doctors' offices
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling doctors' offices Login/Join 
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted
When I call my primary doctor's office to schedule an appointment. I ALWAYS get an answering machine. "Leave a message with your full name, phone number, date of birth, doctor's name and why you called and we'll call back within 48 hours."

When/if they do call me back, the number is random and my phone (HiYa app) doesn't recognize it, so I don"t pick up. (I average five spam/scam calls a day.) They leave a message to call at their regular number. So the only way we can communicate is by leaving messages.

I discussed this (in person) with them. They said they get a lot of calls and their phone staff are very busy. The numbers they call out on are randomly assigned, they don't know what they are, and they can't add their caller ID, so I can't identify them or add them to the recognized numbers list on my phone.

This seems to be becoming standard practice with doctors; call and leave a message; we will call you back.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They said they get a lot of calls

Those calls are probably from patients. Since you are too busy to talk to patients, I will find a doctor who can.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Thank the insurance industry. Payout to primary care docs how gone down some much in the last 15 years that a primary care doc has to see almost double the amount of patients to make the same money. Pediatricians are even worse off. I know nurses that make more than pediatricians.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OR, you can sign up for their Internet "Portal" email which is just as useless as their phone answering system.

Many Doctors in my area are using the Physician assistant who sometimes returns the call same day.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmm. I guess I'm just lucky. Well, that and I live in a relatively sparsely populated area.

I called and spoke with the receptionists for both my Dentist and my PCP this morning. AND got appointments! The Dentist could have gotten me in today with one of the 3 dentists that work out of that office, but I want to talk with my regular guy so I'm out a week.

My PCP is also the Chief of Medicine for one of the hospitals in the local conglomerate and only sees patients 2 days a week so I'm a little further out with him, but it's just an annual wellness check anyway.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
OR, you can sign up for their Internet "Portal" email which is just as useless as their phone answering system.
I've tried that; it's a mess. I would say it's more useless (uselesser?). Frown

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I am hearing impaired so telephone is always a problem for me. I made nice with my doc's office manager. She gave me her email address and we communicate that way. It works very well.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Sheesh, you guys. Tough crowd!

If it weren't for all the patients, we could get our work done!!

(Tongue firmly in cheek)!

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Having the same issue with my Primary, two docs in the office, mine retired with Obazmocare introduction, the new guy is nice enough but you can't get anyone to answer an incoming call, they do call back eventually but it's always too late to make arrangements for the same day.

I do get the caller ID for him so that's a plus.

THe app is also useless, they don't update jack on it, you can't make an appointment, change, request updates on scripts its basically worthless.

Lately the guy has been demanding in office appointments every 6 months for review of prescriptions before he'll respond to a request for increasing refills. This is on my BP and Sinus meds, that I"ve been on with him for 3 years and his retired partner for many more.

Each visit I get BP test, heart rate, rap on the knee and a Yep they are still working here's your next three refills see you in six months.

Clearly he's running it so he gets more patient visits it's not for the welfare of the patient.

Even better they just ignore requests from pharmacy's for refills and don't contact patients that they need to call and make an appointment, they wait for you to initiate the "call back" process.

Now checking my BP and that there is snot in my nose isn't enough he wants blood work, which is BS, last time it was a complete work up for close to $1500 in cost, this time I told him I'm not doing it there is no reason for a full workup to renew my scripts, it's a hostage situation so I"m looking for a new doc, a co-worker of my wifes sees him and we talked and agreed we're moving elsewhere, so it's not just me.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post