SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Calling street people 'the homeless'.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling street people 'the homeless'. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I hate this. We don't know what housing arrangements these people have. I'd rather call them either 'panhandlers' or (ideally) 'bums'.

There used to be a guy who rented a dilapidated house at the corner of a busy intersection a few blocks from here. Every day this asshole would move his bicycle and stuff about 50 feet from his porch to the sidewalk. He would sit there all nasty and pitiful with a cardboard sign and his mangy dog. The dog was a brilliant touch and he got lots of handouts.

He's been gone for a while now: Probably retired to Palm Springs. Roll Eyes

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beats disinfranchised. Seriously, many are sociopathic, some are alcohol and drug addicted, and others are mentally ill. A good number choose that lifestyle as well.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago a French friend of the wife's visited and marveled at the amount of what she referred to as beggars on the street. I've always called them bums.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Just think of all the cash I could get for doing nothing except standing at the end of an interstate off-ramp with a sob story sign, and tax free, too. Sure, there might be slow days, but as a tradesman on piecework, that happens now.

(Obviously that was sarcasm.)

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Many years ago a French friend of the wife's visited and marveled at the amount of what she referred to as beggars on the street. I've always called them bums.

Yep. +1

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here we seem to colloquially call them "transients", but realistically there is nothing transient about them. It's a liberal community with no shortage of services (handouts) for them so they generally don't leave.

At work we generally refer to them as bums.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Hobos

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Hobos

That almost has a Kerouac-esque romanticized slant to it. Riding the trains, doing some work then moving on.

Standing around begging in shifts is more like a racket.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Bums

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I guess no good MFers would be a bit over the top?
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
A good number choose that lifestyle as well.

DING DING DING!!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
There may be some good people who have fallen on hard times due to no fault of their own that are out there begging, but I suspect that number is miniscule. Most of these fuckers are alcoholics, drug addicts, criminals, crazy, lazy, hustlers, or any combination thereof. None of these categories are mutually exclusive.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
San Francisco is the home of the homeless.

Bums

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
There may be some good people who have fallen on hard times due to no fault of their own that are out there begging, but I suspect that number is miniscule. Most of these fuckers are alcoholics, drug addicts, criminals, crazy, lazy, hustlers, or any combination thereof. None of these categories are mutually exclusive.

AND, millions of idiots each day give them a dollar or two, which keeps the cycle going.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can’t stand bums at every corner begging, but what drives me even more crazy is bums with pets. Pets are expensive and if you can’t afford yourself you should probably get rid of Fido.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember a few years ago a local reporter did a story on them. He even followed one of the "homeless" guys to his house. I think the guy even had a Facebook page where he had posted a pic of the money he had gotten, and another of him in a Land Rover he had purchased.
I understand that some of them do have problems, or have fallen on hard time like someone else has said, but some are in that situation by choice.

Posts: 211 | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Shugart, you left off Democrat voter.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I don't really call them anything, but I sure as hell don't give them any money.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We once had a young Russian woman staying with us with her eight-year old daughter. When daughter Dasha felt sorry for the panhandlers, her mom said “That’s his job!” Thought that summarized it pretty well.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
whatever happened to that good old name "winos"?

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Urban Outdoorsmen.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post