SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Too Many "Reserved" Parking Spots at Retail Stores
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too Many "Reserved" Parking Spots at Retail Stores Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
Home Deopt & Lowes - 10 prime spots for online order pickup. Are there that many people showing up at once? And, reserved spots for "Pros." At least Lowe's reserves a couple for veterans.

Walmart - I think 8 reserved spots at the front just popped-up for Rx pickups.

I mean come on, this is getting out of hand.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Amen.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Grocery stores are doing it too. I never have seen anyone in any of those parking places. I do use the Veterans spots at both Lowes and Home Depot.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yes I hate that crap. Have to walk an extra 100 feet, each way, past a bunch of empty spaces. OK, no it won't kill me, but their order ahead and pickup sucks in the first place the two times I tried it. I have never seen the handicap or veteran spots more then half full.

And what does it take to qualify as a Lowes Pro anyway? A business license and an account?

I parked in a "Pro" spot the other day... they were all empty except one. It was hot, I was tired and picking up biggish load. Wife said you can't park here, its for "Pros" I said screw 'em, I USED to be a Pro. A couple decades in the construction business ought to account for something.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Publix and Walmart handicap spaces around here are usually full.

They now have a reserved slot for Police. I have NEVER seen that used. The police here seem to prefer using the no-parking fire lane right in front of the store, which would be OK if it were a business call and they needed to get into the store "right now," but it is mostly personal business, grabbing a couple of quick grocery things.

OK, I understand that they might get a call at any time and need to get out of there quickly, no problem with that, but why have a dedicated police parking slot that is never used by police, and could be assigned to handicapped?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Publix and Walmart handicap spaces around here are usually full.

I believe the handicapped spot occupancy depends a lot on where you are. V-Tail is in a favored retirement area, as am I, and I really have to hunt for a handicapped spot. Retirement areas typically have a larger number of qualified handicapped licensees, because of the larger proportion of older folks with disabilities.

States may differ, but I think the number and placement of handicapped spots is dictated by ADA rules or suggestions, based on the size of the establishment.

I've not yet seen Rx or curbside pickup spots. I have seen a single LEO spot at my local Walmart. And I, too, park in the "Pro" spots at HD, because they are usually closer than the handicapped spots. Even if I did not have "wheelchair plates" (what AZ calls them), I would still use the Pro spots. They are silly and not enforced.

Those of you who are not handicapped, walking an extra 100 feet is healthy for you. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Grocery stores are doing it too. I never have seen anyone in any of those parking places. I do use the Veterans spots at both Lowes and Home Depot.

Yeah, out local Harris teeter has 22 reserved spots for handicapped, pregnant mother parking, parent with young child parking, senior parking, veteran parking, law enforcement, and now health care workers, etc.

As for Home Depot, I always park in pro parking. The cashier once told me that if you are there more than twice a week, and use the pro desk to check out, nobody will say anything to you.

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Those of you who are not handicapped, walking an extra 100 feet is healthy for you. Smile

Try telling that to people in a state where you have to wear a mask outside when it is 93 degrees and 85% humidity. That is not healthy for you.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a local mom and Pop owned grocery store where I shop . They did a complete remodel on the building and put a big awning out front with about 6 covered parking spaces . It's labelled " Rainy day grocery loading " or some such . Of course it's always full no matter what . And don't get me started on the Handicap Parking issue . I want to lose my shit over that most days .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
They seem to give out the handicap plates every Halloween. Confused

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One local store has a spot reserved for OUR LAW ENFORCEMENT FRIENDS. The sign is so high up in the parking lot I did not notice it. I did on the way out and hoped no one would notice. It is usually empty but is close to the door.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I always park way out in the back. Quicker to get in and out because I don't have to wait on all the people stopping in the middle of the road to compete for the close spots, or worry about idiots hitting my truck. Plus I figure it's free exercise.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do they know if you are a PRO ? Do you get a special license plate or windshield decal?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pencil behind ear, jeans that fit, good tan and cowboy hat depending on the state. Having that swagger helps too. A large pickup helps complete the picture. A little plug of chewing tobacco tops it off.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm a friend of law enforcement, so if all the handicapped places are taken, I'll use the one for law enforcement friends.

Once, Karen told me I should not park there. My reply? "Call a cop."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do they know if you are a PRO ?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
More 'everyone gets a trophy' stuff.

Awesome, wonder why less of us even go to the store anymore?

And some of you are Karen Magnets... LMAO...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing no one commenting has ever had to administer those parking places. Its a royal pain. (like prince harry) I got that job because no one else would take it, and I was already working over a shit ton of OT. In the minds of company owners, I was perfect for it. Whats a few more hours a week for poor dumb Dick. It never crossed their minds, if they have them, that I could cause a bunch more trouble than they wanted.

One of the rules of life is do a job really well and everyone will complain about you. Smile Anyone parks in a handicap spot, do your best to get them fired or moved to a terrible shift. Even the folks qualified to use the spots won't do it. They want to save them for someone else. Hence the best spots go unused. Never being one to back away from a fight, at least when I'm right, I knew I could get the job moved to someone who didn't give a shit. Even worse than me. When I retired 10 years ago, they were still looking for a candidate.

Those spots cost money. If you have an accountant on board, he should be able to furnish the numbers. Yeah, I said he. Just take the total cost of the parking lot, taxes and upkeep, and divide by the number of spaces. That's the easy way. But you also realize some spaces are better and more valuable than others.

I took the best spot in the lot because I always got there first. One of the local PD guys pointed out that "my" spot should be the signed one. My reply was if they wanted it, just come to work first. That was a non-starter for the entitled class. One of my gun show partners didn't have a left arm and leg. Anyone who questioned him got an offer to have their ass kicked.

Reserving a spot to be unused is costly and stupid. I finally had to be nice (tough for me) and talked our one sort of handicapped employees into using one of the spaces. She insisted she wanted to save them for someone who needed it. My counter argument was "who would that be?" I'm sure she was sincere, just not looking at the whole picture.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the SMALL PENIS PARKING sign is perfect for the spot by the door.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
a state where you have to wear a mask outside

That right there, by itself, is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, regardless the temp or humidity. What state has that requirement?

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
Try telling that to people in a state where you have to wear a mask outside when it is 93 degrees and 85% humidity. That is not healthy for you.
So don't put it on until you get near the door. What are they going to do call the police. Give me a break.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post