SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Driving In Virginia, AKA The Statewide Speedtrap!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving In Virginia, AKA The Statewide Speedtrap! Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Driving in VA isn't a big deal. We know how to use our turn signals, unlike MD drivers and actually somewhat obey the speed signs, unlike WV drivers. PA drivers make up the trifecta of out of staters on my daily commute...they mostly go slow in the left lane.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I live in Roanoke, I81 is a death trap through here, they enforce strictly.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Driving in VA isn't a big deal. We know how to use our turn signals, unlike MD drivers and actually somewhat obey the speed signs, unlike WV drivers. PA drivers make up the trifecta of out of staters on my daily commute...they mostly go slow in the left lane.

Consider yourself fortunate you don't have to deal with many New Jersey drivers.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
80 is only 5 over on our interstate highways

You just don't understand. 80 is completely unsafe over there, but perfectly safe over here.

I don't believe driving fast is unsafe in and of itself. A person can be driving dangerously at any speed, or perfectly safely at a high speed. I'm all for pulling over unsafe drivers. I don't understand pulling over speeders who are otherwise operating safely.

Amen! That's also why I wrote a total of 3 speeding tickets during my 3 years as a uniform copper. And those 3 tickets were all for unsafe speed, not speed in zone (exceeding the posted speed limit).

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5575 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 19 YO son has my former Mazda 3 and drives from NoVA to Blacksburg, VA (Virginia Tech), which is just over 4 hours. I've been trying to school him to set the damn cruise control to 78 and USE it. The reckless driving over 80 is real and they will write you up in a heartbeat.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Only time I ever fell into a gen-u-ine speed trap was in VA--Olson County IIRC. Trooper smirked through the whole thing. I was definitely a revenue source.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I used up all my get out jail free cards to avoid getting arrested for 84 in a 55 there a few years ago and have scrupulously adhered to my promise to never exceed the speed limit in the State of Virginia since. Besides, it’s a beautiful place and worth taking in the sights at a slower pace.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

My experience has been that lots of folks in Virginia do not know what the little lever on the left side of their steering column is for. Nor, do they know about the laws of physics that predicts how long/far it takes to stop a 3000 lb vehicle going 60+ MPH to stop. Especially on wet pavement! I routinely see cop cars running along R234 in excess of 70 MPH and the speed limit is 55.

Not to mention the seeming reluctance to use their turn signals.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
My experience has been that lots of folks in Virginia do not know what the little lever on the left side of their steering column is for.

It's for hanging their other keys on. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Longest traffic lights. Can’t blame people for texting/checking email at them. Hell, I put it in park and shut the engine off at some. Surprised they don’t run them more often considering folks here are not what you’d call laid back

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
My experience has been that lots of folks in Virginia do not know what the little lever on the left side of their steering column is for.

The 5 worst drivers in Virginia (runner-ups):
5) New Jersey
4) New York
3) North Carolina
2) Florida

And the worst of all:
1) Handicap

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

5) New Jersey
4) New York
3) North Carolina
2) Florida

And the worst of all:
1) Handicap

You left out Massachusetts drivers, otherwise known as “Massholes”. Smile

posted Hide Post
After my last ticket in VA, I determined I was going to learn my lesson. I slowed down and it added two hours onto my trip between Bristol and Winchester. I am sure the extra time in the state greatly increases the fuel, hotel, and meal money spent in their state.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
IIRC, 80 mph is considered reckless driving, period, in VA, even on a 70 mph interstate. I have traveled there from time to time and not personally encountered any speed traps, but not everyone is so lucky.

Shit! 80 IS the suggested Interstate speed limit here in Montana.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Over 80 is reckless? Lol... Holy crap in SE Michigan if you aren't doing at least 80 in the freeways, that is reckless.

One Sunday morning up by Lansing it was about 5 am and i was the only car for miles. I came around a turn doing about 95 - 100 and there was a cop. OOOps. Well I always figure it's too late by the time you see them so I just kept going. I started to think I was clear then he came flying up. He asked if I knew why I was being pulled over and I said "because I was hauling ass". He found that amusing, said he had to do over 120 to catch up to me. I got a ticket for speeding, but nothing reckless.

Now Ohio... On the turnpike... Those guys are dicks who popped me for 4 over while trying to merge into the turnpike in traffic. And the guy was a huge knob about it too.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
quote:

You have to remember us poor Mountaineers aren't accustomed to such fine highways so we try to maximize our enjoyment on them and minimize our time on them. Naturally we aren't too good with reading or math so we tend to just ignore those big ol signs.

Now somehow the Worthless Nuts aka Buckeyes haven't been mentioned regarding their lack of driving skills!

Montani Semper Liberi

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Better yet are the South Florida Drivers.

When all the Liberals retire and get tired of paying outrageous taxes, they all move to South Florida from VA, MD, NYC, NJ and the like.

The conglomeration of poor driving habits makes for some Forrest Gump moments, "you never know what you're gonna get".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Better yet are the South Florida Drivers.

When all the Liberals retire and get tired of paying outrageous taxes, they all move to South Florida from VA, MD, NYC, NJ and the like.

The conglomeration of poor driving habits makes for some Forrest Gump moments, "you never know what you're gonna get".
Did you ever drive in San Juan PR?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my first time in Fla I found out, from riding with a native, that slowing down, or actually stopping to pay a toll was a mere suggestion, and that a quarter may hit the bucket at 45+mph,,,if thrown,,

maybe

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

5) New Jersey
4) New York
3) North Carolina
2) Florida

And the worst of all:
1) Handicap

And never get behind anyone with the outline of a fish on their trunk.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post