SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Driving In Virginia, AKA The Statewide Speedtrap!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving In Virginia, AKA The Statewide Speedtrap! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
VA traffic Code

46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well! Ok then

Cool

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Don't take it personal, even other cops don't like the VSP. IIRC, they stopped a convoy of NYPD who were returning to NY after helping out during Katrina.

it wasn't the troopers, it was Augusta County Sheriffs Dept. And to be fair, the NY cops were traveling in excess of 90 mph.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
IIRC, 80 mph is considered reckless driving, period, in VA, even on a 70 mph interstate. I have traveled there from time to time and not personally encountered any speed traps, but not everyone is so lucky.

Damn. In PA, it's considered "keeping up with traffic so you don't get run off the road" Big Grin

Hell in PA 101mph only got me a $250 dollar fine....along with some very tense moments as I told my teenage son where to send grandma to bail me out. It did not help that was carrying under a FL permit with a Texas DL.

By the end of the encounter the Trooper asked me how I like the CTS (a rental)

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have driven between Texas and PA about a dozen times in the last 6 years and have two speeding tickets. Both in VA.

My wife has been driving for 45 years and has only received one ticket of any kind. Yep, speeding in VA. (she totaly denies it, says he got the wrong car)

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Hell in PA 101mph only got me a $250 dollar fine....along with some very tense moments as I told my teenage son where to send grandma to bail me out. It did not help that was carrying under a FL permit with a Texas DL.

By the end of the encounter the Trooper asked me how I like the CTS (a rental)

Bahahah, those times aren't fun when happening, but once you live through them... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I had some stuck up VA Cop follow me through a left turn arrow - I was the second car at a dead standstill, the arrow turned green and I followed the car in front of me which moved immediately on the green. Cop behind me lit me up and said I ran a red left arrow - no fucking way, however I was legally carrying and had a car full of legal NFA weapons and ammunition (coming back from the range). No duty to inform in VA unless asked.

Just wasn't worth the trouble, knowing the stuck up bitch would have had fun doing whatever she could to toss the car. So I gave her all 1 word responses and took the ticket.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Shit, 80 is only 5 over on our interstate highways (outside of metro areas).

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
VA traffic Code

46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

Well shit, now I’ve been wrong twice!

Thank you sir!

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
80 is only 5 over on our interstate highways

You just don't understand. 80 is completely unsafe over there, but perfectly safe over here.

I don't believe driving fast is unsafe in and of itself. A person can be driving dangerously at any speed, or perfectly safely at a high speed. I'm all for pulling over unsafe drivers. I don't understand pulling over speeders who are otherwise operating safely.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if you have made that drive recently but I have and there's nothing "unsafe" about it.

Forgot the Wink.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Being married to a LEO (now retired, like me), I learned it's not a "speed trap", it's an "enforcement detail". Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yup, drive the speed limit in Virginia and in and around Lawtey and Starke Florida....or you will hold one.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago, my wife and I came back home from DC and I didn’t get under 80 mph the whole way down 81. I didn’t have a clue that the speed enforcement was like it was in Virginia. I was the luckiest SOB in the world I guess, because I never saw a trooper the whole way. I know better now, and wouldn’t dare do it again.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
It has nothing to do with safety....It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Anything over 80 is reckless regardless the posted speed limit. Any other spot it’s reckless if you’re 15 over the posted speed limit. VA cops love out of state drivers FYI so watch your ass unless you’re in a vehicle with VA tags.

this^

my last speeding ticket was 83 in a 65

I was polite, admitted the error of my ways and only paid the speeding ticket (he wrote me for 80, not reckless, but I paid the mileage fine based on 83)

it was in Goochland, on 288, so only about $160,

living here, you know where they are, or learm and go with the flow,

as a Va resident, who goes to DC and Maryland (and NC) once in a while, I would rather not drive in MD at all, those drivers suck

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
living here, you know where they are, or learn and go with the flow,

(cough, cough) Wythe and Carroll Counties (cough, cough)

Or so I'm told.... Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
living here, you know where they are, or learn and go with the flow,

(cough, cough) Wythe and Carroll Counties (cough, cough)

Or so I'm told.... Wink

64 in Louisa county
95 from fredricksburg to DC, esp on the new sections of HOV

anywhere in Colonial Heights

95 in the willis road area used to be bad

288 , powhatan will set under the bridge just before the river, and the state police at a lot of places on the north side,
keep it under 77 and you are good, usually

I rarely see a cop on 64 between bottoms bridge and williamsburg,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
IIRC, 80 mph is considered reckless driving, period, in VA, even on a 70 mph interstate. I have traveled there from time to time and not personally encountered any speed traps, but not everyone is so lucky.

It is also a criminal offense,not a traffic ticket.

Posts: 12578 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
quote:

It is also a criminal offense,not a traffic ticket.

Yup, and two of my friends HAD to appear in-person, there was no mail in option or even hiring a lawyer to appear option. They both spent around $1500 when it was all said and done plus the time to go back down there to appear in court.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
It has long been a hope of mine that when California falls off the left coast, Virginia will fall off the right to balance the country out so it doesn't flip over like Guam.

Well, holy smoke. You want VIRGINIA to fall into the ocean, when you've got coastal states like Taxachusetts, 'Murrland, and New Joisey to choose from??? I'll take Virginia over any one of them. Any day.

Besides, I make sure I stay within 7 mph over the speed limit, and I haven't had a ticket in decades.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post