SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Damn tire gauges
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damn tire gauges Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Leaving tomorrow on a trip so checked tire pressures. Added pressure where needed but the spare donut requires 60 psi. All my pencil gauges stop at 50.

Instead of going out to buy one, I put it to 50 and assume it will be enough to get me to a service station.

Aren't most new vehicles carrying a donut these days that require higher pressure? Maybe my gauges are antique.

Btw any recommendations on a reliable gauge that goes higher than 50?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I believe it was forum member Woodman who was selling quality gauges.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I believe it was forum member Woodman who was selling quality gauges.

You are right. He karma'd a couple back in 2013. I was one of the winners.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Most of the gauges I see are made in china and they are junk. It seems to me that an item such as a tire gauge ought to be made to a standard of accuracy, as a safety matter.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
This is similar to what was sent to me.

http://www.automotivepartsfact...3t7dMCFQ6paQodB84DZQ

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thanks Floyd

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Get a Milton heavy duty stick gauge for trucks. It will go up to 210 psi and be accurate. I use that for anything over 60 psi.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 4 tire pressure gauges.
One is a milton. One is on a device that allows you to fill your tire and when you left off the fill lever, it measures the air pressure.
2 of those gauges do not go up high enough for my truck tires. The other two have different readings for the same time pressure.
The light came on in my truck and it shows a tire pressure sensor fault. I cannot seem to get rid of it by filling and checking with my Milton gauge.

I was told these are accurate, but what do I know?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wallacemf
posted Hide Post
I use one of these, works very well and goes up to 150psi.

https://www.amazon.com/Accutir...id=1494729768&sr=8-1

Posts: 377 | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wallacemf:
I use one of these, works very well and goes up to 150psi.

https://www.amazon.com/Accutir...id=1494729768&sr=8-1

Bingo! Not only are those gauges good for low pressure tires (wheelbarrow) and high pressure tires (BIG truck), but being digital they are extremely accurate. Pencil gauges, not so much.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
Pencil gauges, not so much.

Some pencil gauges, not so much, especially the cheapo giveaway ones. I regularly use an Intercomp 0-60psi gauge for both trucks, but a couple of odd tires around take more than 60, so I have a Milton truck gauge (pencil, but it is more like one of those big pencils you used in grade school, they kind you had to rest on your shoulder while you wrote). At least up to 60psi, the Milton is spot on equivalent to the Intercomp. The pencil is a bit harder to read.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Made in the USA Milton 20-120 PSI. Good stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-...C4YQZX8E1D53A47Y81F0

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years, I use the NAPA 0-50 PSI straight stick tire pressure gauge. Reads in 5 psi steps.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the one I have.
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-...+tire+pressure+gauge
Actually one of many

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also recommend the Milton brand. Have one in each of my vehicles, low pressure ones in each of the four wheelers also...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I think it was Car & Driver that did a review of tire gauges. Surprisingly, they found that there was nothing inherently wrong with pencil-type gauges as long as they were of high quality. They were basically just as accurate as the much pricier dial gauges of the time (not sure how they'd stack up against digitals). The problem was the vast majority of cheapo pencil gauges on the market. I buy better quality pencils and do just fine with my vehicles.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't confuse precision with accuracy. Even though a digital give a precise readout that doesn't mean its accurate.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

This is the Milton I go to when it is beyond the capacity of my Intercomp dial gauge's 60 psi. It is a Milton "service" gauge, 10-160 psi. I prefer the Intercomp, for its easy to read 4" dial and ability to bleed out a bit of air if you overfilled, while still watching the gauge.
Milton S-976, made in the USA.

Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
Don't confuse precision with accuracy. Even though a digital give a precise readout that doesn't mean its accurate.

If you do Gauge R&Rs you'll find that digital gauges do have a higher degree of accuracy, and hold that repeatability longer than analogue gauges.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post