SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wrong Way Drivers....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wrong Way Drivers.... Login/Join 
posted
FUCK YOU VERY MUCH.
Damn people must get their license from a cracker jack box. On what passes for a major traffic artery in my area, two lanes east & two west bound. Drive it twice daily to get to work. Second time I have had someone traveling east in the westbound lane in two years. Both instances were senior drivers, after dark. I know this because both times I was lose enough to them to see hair color, faces and the first old man's pancake hat. Should be mandatory testing to maintain license after age 55, yearly after 62. We even have the center line reflectors that glow red when lit up from the wrong side. Both cases the driver had to have been in the wrong lane for at least 1/2 mile based on traffic flow and road layout.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute - weren't you in your lane?? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^Amended

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impaired drivers come in all sizes. I frankly am more concerned with those individuals driving under the influence of mind altering substances. The number of people driving with opiates,benzos and muscle relaxers in their system is a huge problem.

Perceptual motor skill does not decline as much as you might imagine at age 55. In fact, distracted driving is more common among younger people who think they can talk, text and drive.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Just have a person hold out his hand and then ask him if he drove through Charlottesville today?! Mad Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
We've had a rash of this shit on the highways down here in Phoenix these last couple years. I can see how it can happen late at night being drunk and turning short onto the off ramp instead of going the distance to the on ramp. But quite a few have been done in broad daylight. How can you not see where you are going in broad daylight? Been a few fatalities because of this.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will concede some other impairment may be involved. I just really don't take too kindly to getting a close up view of somebody's front bumper @ 60 MPH. THIS ONE did at least realize they fucked up and cross the median back to their own side after stopping both westbound lanes. The last passed me doing about 60 the wrong way in what should have been the slow lane. I just happened to be turning and had merged left.

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Edith calls her husband Henry on his cell phone: "Henry, I just heard on the radio someone is driving the wrong way on the highway. Be careful!"

Henry: "Hell Ethel, they are ALL driving the wrong way!"

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The "main drag"/US Highway through Jerkwater consists of two (2) one-way streets. Probably 95% of the wrong way drivers on those two streets are tourists. Also, many of them seem to think a flashing yellow caution light means "STOP". Consequently, I think tourists should receive special testing at the city limits.

Do it for the children.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should be mandatory testing to maintain license after age 55, yearly after 62

No thanks sonny.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
wolfe 21 -- I agree with you about re-testing to maintain driving privileges. However, you did not go far enough. You made it age-based.

Every driver, regardless of age, should be re-tested at renewal time. Just like pilots. We (pilots), all of us, from the amateur weekend puddle-jumper right through the 747 drivers, are required to satisfy the requirements of the Federal Regs, Part 61, for Flight Reviews with an authorized instructor, examiner, or inspector, on a regular basis, in order to exercise the privileges of our airman certificates. This is not age-based, the requirement applies equally to all ages, although performance checks are required more frequently for airline types than for those holding entry-level certificates.

In order to operate legally, every pilot must have satisfied the requirements for a flight review within the preceding 24 calendar months. This is the least stringent of the requirements, there are additional requirements for specified types of operation.

If this sort of thinking were applied to driving,
  1. our streets and highways would probably be much safer,

2. there would probably be a lot less congestion, with fewer drivers on the road,

3. the cost of driving would increase dramatically, to fund all of this re-certification, and

4. any legislator who supported this would be committing career suicide.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Every driver, regardless of age, should be re-tested at renewal time.

This would be a good standard, if only. Here in AZ, your driver's license is issued with an expiration date of your 65th birthday. Get a license at age 20, and it is valid for 45 years. At age 65, you have to retake the vision test only, and from then on every 5 years.

Despite our proliferation of "winter visitors" here in Wickenburg, the wrong way driver syndrome does not seem to occur much here. More often is the stopping for no reason, or turning left from a driving lane when there is a perfectly good left turn lane to use (the two main drags in town, both US highways, are five lane their entire length, with a dedicated left turn lane).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I've told this story here before.

I was still a teenager. Had three or four friends in the car. Maybe going to a drive-in? One of the most popular ones around was just up the road a piece. Headed northbound on an ill-lit, four-lane, divided highway. Had been in the left lane. Thought "I really should be in the right lane." Moved over.

Within no more than a couple dozen seconds a car topped the rise ahead and whizzed by us going southbound.

In the lane I'd just abandoned.

My car went instantly silent as everybody wondered if they'd just seen what they'd thought they'd seen. Some turned an looked. Yes, they had. (It had happened so fast I wasn't certain I hadn't imagined it.)

Speed limit there was 50 MPH at the time, ISTR.

There were no seat belts or airbags in those days. Not that it would've mattered in a head-on collision at ±100 MPH.

Missed by sheer luck.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How would you know where they were going?

Ubiquitous Wrong Way Link

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, that is a better solution. If not annually, then every 2 years to maintain the ability to operate a vehicle of any type (private, commercial, bike, moped, etc).

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
wolfe 21 -- I agree with you about re-testing to maintain driving privileges. However, you did not go far enough. You made it age-based.

Every driver, regardless of age, should be re-tested at renewal time. Just like pilots. We (pilots), all of us, from the amateur weekend puddle-jumper right through the 747 drivers, are required to satisfy the requirements of the Federal Regs, Part 61, for Flight Reviews with an authorized instructor, examiner, or inspector, on a regular basis, in order to exercise the privileges of our airman certificates. This is not age-based, the requirement applies equally to all ages, although performance checks are required more frequently for airline types than for those holding entry-level certificates.

In order to operate legally, every pilot must have satisfied the requirements for a flight review within the preceding 24 calendar months. This is the least stringent of the requirements, there are additional requirements for specified types of operation.

If this sort of thinking were applied to driving,
  1. our streets and highways would probably be much safer,

2. there would probably be a lot less congestion, with fewer drivers on the road,

3. the cost of driving would increase dramatically, to fund all of this re-certification, and

4. any legislator who supported this would be committing career suicide.

We should also do with pilots like we do with CMV drivers. All penalties incurred during off-duty time, while driving a POV, will be also applied to the other license. Mess up too much driving a car, loose your ability to fly a plane.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
We should also do with pilots like we do with CMV drivers. All penalties incurred during off-duty time, while driving a POV, will be also applied to the other license. Mess up too much driving a car, loose your ability to fly a plane.
The foundation for that is already in place. Here's how it works: The form that pilots fill out for a medical certificate, which is required annually for commercial pilots and every six months for airline transport pilots, asks about driving infractions. Lie, and you lose your flying privileges.

I'm not sure what the penalty structure is for pilots with driving convictions (I haven't had one in a long, long, time), but I'm pretty sure that the FAA scrutinizes this stuff.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
That is also a huge problem in Milwaukee, WI. Most off ramp have no less than 7 signs declaring it being the wrong way.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post