SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    WARNING about Tricare for Life coverage and the Shingrix shots
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WARNING about Tricare for Life coverage and the Shingrix shots Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Word to the wise military retirees on Tricare For Life!

Got a bill from my doctor today for >$150 for the Shingrix #1 shot.

I'm on Medicare B and Tricare For Life.

Found this utter bullshit which REALLY pisses me off as I had no advance knowledge:

"TFL covers the shingles shot as a medical coverage, not pharmacy coverage. So, the process goes like this:

You get the shingles shot.
You do not have Part D Medicare, so the cost falls to TFL.
TFL covers the shot as a medical cost not covered by Medicare.
When medical costs are not covered by Medicare, TFL deductibles and cost-shares apply.
The deductible is $150 single/$300 family rates, with a $30 cost share for a network primary care doctor.

The bottom line is, you pay for the shot even though it is technically covered.

That explains the medical coverage-side of TFL, however, on the pharmacy side of TFL, you can get the shot at a Tricare network pharmacy. Use the Tricare pharmacy coverage and the shot is covered 100%."

So now I'm trying to find a local Network Pharmacy that gives these to arrange my follow up #2 Shingrix shot.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tricare can be tricky. They are supposed to be paying 100 percent for Telehealth but are taking off a copay. They are promising to fix the problem but continue to take off a copay. Medicare can be tricky with vaccines. Still I would pay 150 dollars to avoid Shingles. Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
So now I'm trying to find a local Network Pharmacy that gives these to arrange my follow up #2 Shingrix shot.
Please let us know what you find out.

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Please let us know what you find out.

I've found two local pharmacies. :thumbsup:

https://www.tricare.mil/Covere...ered/ShinglesVaccine

Getting Vaccines at TRICARE Network Pharmacies:

You can get the shingles vaccine for free at a participating network pharmacy. You can find a pharmacy by:

Calling 1-877-363-1303
Using the Express Scripts Mobile App
Searching online

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
I was told both shots go to your pharmacy. You get the first and they keep the second for you till after the waiting period. Hope that's not true in your case.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
My wife and I got the Shingrix shots at the Safeway pharmacy for free under Tricare. We each got a 10% off our next shopping trip coupon. Two shots each with a total of four coupons.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
For those of you who got your Shingrix shots at a pharmacy, did you need a prescription from your internist?

Had to ask as I'm new to this kind of thing (despite my advanced age Big Grin ).

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they have a deductible...just like Medicare does.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
For those of you who got your Shingrix shots at a pharmacy, did you need a prescription from your internist?

Had to ask as I'm new to this kind of thing (despite my advanced age Big Grin ).

I had my Shingrix shots at an independent pharmacy and paid out of pocket, but no prescription was needed. Wife says she got hers at Walgreens snd doesn’t remember needing a prescription, either.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No prescrition is needed for the vaccine. You may have to complete a questionnaire at the pharmacy.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am on Medicare and Tricare for life also. Last year I got both shingrix shots at the local Walmart pharmacy as my local doctor didn't have it at the time. I have never been billed for any copays in over 12 months. Maybe you can check your local Walmart for the shot. All of this healthcare insurance BS is too f*cking complicated and confusing. No RX was required. Thanks for the heads up as I need a tetanus shot too.

Posts: 23 | Location: Western NY  | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
i called my insurance provider today. They cover Shingrex and cologuard if you are fifty or older. wich I am so I am getting my first shot tomorrow

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Medicare and TriCare for Lifer. We both got two Shingrix shots at the pharmacy in our supermarket (HyVee) and did not pay a thing.

With those two plans (and meds at the nearby military clinic) we rarely pay anything. It's way too complicated for me, Mrs. Sigmund handles that stuff.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I have Tricare for life I got mine at the VA.

Posts: 23 | Location: Adamstown Pa | Registered: October 25, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Blue Cross paid for both my shots with no prescription and minimal copay/out-of-pocket. Just walked into CVS and asked for it...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got both of my shingles shots at the Youngstown Ohio VA Outpatient center with no cost to me.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post