SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Blue Rhino propane
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Rhino propane Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My last 2 houses I've hooked up my grill to the natural gas line. No propane for me!

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 20 lb propane tank should weigh 20 lbs plus the empty tank weight when full.
The 80% has already been factored into the capacity.

Anyone NOT refilling to this standard is incompetent and untrained.

But don't take my word for it...
https://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderfilling.htm
The quote below is from their site...

quote:
The bottle filling station will generally have a cylinder filling chart that converts water capacity (WC) to pounds of propane that the filler will refer to before filling the bottle. The chart will show that 47.6 pounds of water converts to 20 pounds of propane. In other words, a propane bottle that will hold 47.6 pounds of water will hold 20 pounds of propane. This indicates that the scale needs to be set a little over 38 pounds (20 lbs + 18 lbs = 38 lbs) to obtain the weight of the bottle when it reaches its allowable capacity.

More reading content here:
https://www.orangecoat.com/the...-grill-propane-tanks

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks Excam and everyone else for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea about Blue Rhino’s shortchanging.
When we took our Alaskan trip this summer in our truck camper we swapped out one of our tanks at a Blue Rhino place at a Home Depot in Anchorage. The tank only lasted a few weeks which I thought was strange and now I know the reason why. I’ll be sure to fill it up at my local farm store in the future.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Have been avoiding Blue Rhino here due to cost, and now knowing the fill part. I use a mom and pop place for tanks trades. They own the local bulk propane business here. $14.00 and always full to legal max. Have four 20#, a 40# and a 100#. I keep these full at all times due to our extreme cold weather. Never know if our back up heat will need to be used.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate to have a propane company about 1 mile from home that fills mine to the correct specification and for less too.
You can feel the difference, it's that much.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Son-in=law operates a propane refilling station that he bought from his mother who ran the station for 35yrs. His prices are as low or lower than competitors and provides a honest refill rather than short fill the bottle. Have seen several customers say that they come to him rather than some other sources because of his prices and service that he gives. Plus he is legally allowed to re-certify the bottle experation date and change out valve assy if need be .Also sells bottles and takes old unserviceble bottles out of service............................ drill sgt.

Posts: 1999 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the only time I'll go to a Blue Rhino distributor is to rotate an expired bottle for a fresh one.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Price per gallon between Ace and Walmart Blue Rhino are the same here, but thanks to this thread, I'll go see if I can save some money at Tractor Supply.

From Amerigas' website about their exchange tanks:

"Our tanks are filled to 80% capacity. The 80% fill rule is a preventative safety measure against the fluctuations that happen inside a tank. Propane, like water, will expand with added heat. Propane, however, will increase in volume nearly 17 times greater than water with the same temperature increase. To allow for this expansion, propane containers are filled to only 80% of their capacity."

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
15lbs is standard in all those exchange tanks, why is this a surprise to you?

Buy your own tank and get it filled, it's like 1/3 the cost of exchange tanks.

I bought a tank at Lowes for $35 and get it filled at Tractor Supply.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
15lbs is standard in all those exchange tanks, why is this a surprise to you?

Because that's not the proper way to do business.

Why not fill them up properly when that is what your selling?

Nobody goes in to buy a gallon of milk, to get home to find out there's not a GALLON of milk in the container!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I can tell you,, when I was in the grocery biz we had Blue Rhino boxes outside full of tanks,

for reasons I could never figure out,

the drivers/drop off guys were assholes,
their bosses are assholes,

I do not know it the corporate folks are assholes or not, I fortunately did not have to deal with them,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post