SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Blue Rhino propane
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Rhino propane Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
These mother truckers....I went to fill up my new motorcycle gas cans, you know, the one with no epa shit on them...simple can, simple hose...

So while I’m there, at the Walmart getting gas, I see one of the Blue Rhino propane exchange racks....and I was on the way to the Ace Hardware store to get my extra propane bottle filled- but that’s another two miles away from the house, and I’m right here...

So I go pay my $14.92 for the exchange....get a brand new bottle...it’s so new the date stamped on the neck/handle is 9/20....I’m living large, yay for me.

On my way home and my big brother (Dirty Chuck) calls me...asks what I’m up to so I fill him in on my finishing prepping for the shitshow on the day of the election and filling my new gas cans and buying propane, when he lets me know how they FUCK YOU thru the drive thru .....I’m all , like what do you mean...

He fills me in that they only fill the bottle with 15 pounds in the bottle....read the poster near the racks he says. Well there was no poster near the rack. We go back and forth and when I get home I’m thinking, I’ll go weigh it and then when it’s empty I’ll know....

I pull the bottle out of the back of the truck and I SHIT YOU NOT, the wrapper says 15 pounds....

The price for 20 pounds at Ace is $14.00......

This is just like buying a “pound” of coffee, only to find they shortsleeved you and you got 12oz and not 16....but that’s a rant for later.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I have no idea. The place way up in Ohio has a thing they call $10 Tuesday. They fill them and then charge you $10. On US42, south of Lebanon. As little as I use, its a bargain since I have to go past it twice a month.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Wow. That sucks.
I have a liquid line on my 500 gallon tank so.....

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
At least you have a new cylinder. Swap once. Refill a few years then swap again when it gets crappy.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, Blue Rhino has been doing that for a good while......Except here a refill is a lot more than that.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Thanks ! I had no idea.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
Thanks ! I had no idea.

I may not be a good example, but at least I can be an example. Ha ha

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind me doing a thread drift here....

I've always wanted to go to a propane business named "Ebetts Pass Gas" when I'm in California. I reckon they get a bit of ribbing about the name. If they sold a hat with their name on it I'd buy one.

Yes, that's their name, Ebbets Pass Gas Propane Been in business since 1942, and the original owner, now almost 100 years old, still comes in most days.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
At least you have a new cylinder. Swap once. Refill a few years then swap again when it gets crappy.

This is exactly what I do. Refill until it needs inspection, then get raped in the butt for the 80% filled refill.

Here it's $25-30 for swap, $15 for refill.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Propane companies CLAIM they only fill to 80 to 90% due to expansion of gasses.

https://www.elitegasco.com/201...-tank-is-never-full/

Posts: 2162 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
About 2 weeks ago I had to visit 3 stores to find propane. Two stores were out, finally the last store had two and I purchased them. $20 for 20lbs. but I haven't weighed them. Blue Rhino.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have mine refilled at work for 0$.
I keep 3 spares and my grill one.
I got the Blue Rhino bite several years ago.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
This short refill shit started years ago during high propane prices. They announced that they would be shorting the quantity to keep the price the same. But they quietly kept doing it after the price dropped.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you guys have a local Farm Co-op, you should try to get your LP there. They are the ones who told me that Blue Rhino doesn't give you a full tank. I refill mine there then exchange when the tank expires.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I've always wanted to go to a propane business named "Ebetts Pass Gas" when I'm in California. I reckon they get a bit of ribbing about the name. If they sold a hat with their name on it I'd buy one.

Been in business since 1942, and the original owner, now almost 100 years old, still comes in most days.

Now that man is a hero, not some fool who gets his ass shot off. I really respect a worker.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Luckily for me there is a place a little further down the road that fills it by the gallon. My RV has 30lb. tanks.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got another story how Blue Rhino screwed me at the drive-thru. In addition to their 15lb fills, they advertise a service to military personnel changing duty stations and cannot ship their propane tanks during their move. They say they make it convenient to drop off your old tank and they will give you a voucher for new one at your next station.

Great, I drop off two tanks, one full and the other mostly full and expect to get the same at the other end. Nope, I got a tank but, I still had to pay for the gas; I only receive a only received a tank exchange rate. I wonder how many servicemembers must have gotten ripped off in this deal!

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
If you guys have a local Farm Co-op, you should try to get your LP there. They are the ones who told me that Blue Rhino doesn't give you a full tank. I refill mine there then exchange when the tank expires.

Tractor Supply here refills for cheap as well.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liability. You can fill a 20 lb tank with 20 lbs. But the idiots who put it in trunk of their car
on a 95 degree day, and go shopping for five hours, gas expands ,fills car with fumes, use key fob to open trunk
and BOOM! Most propane suppliers fill about 18 lbs max

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I pull the bottle out of the back of the truck and I SHIT YOU NOT, the wrapper says 15 pounds...

Common knowledge man. They do not want you blowing your happy ass up when you cram exactly 20 lbs into the tank and leave it in the trunk of your car for 4 hours on a 95 degree day. It's some safety bullshit, but unfortunately people do that shit and then sue.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post