SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting really sick of being laid off
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting really sick of being laid off Login/Join 
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted
This is number three. I guess the bright side is that I’ve never been in the first round of lay-offs, so it’s not like I’m sitting on top of a poor performer list. Just, damn. First it was a company closing up shop in this state, then I survived four years of lay-offs as my last employer slowly collapsed, and now I work for the state and they decided that they are going to privatize our entire division and contract it out. At least I will get the satisfaction of helping to train the new contractors that will be replacing me Roll Eyes

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks.

Is there any way you can get a job with the new contractor?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:

I work for the state and they decided that they are going to privatize our entire division and contract it out.
Years ago, I was in a similar situation.

How about having a conversation with the company that will be contracting to handle your former duties? If you're good enough to train their people, you're probably good enough to handle a supervisory position in their company.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30643 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I work for the state and they decided that they are going to privatize our entire division and contract it out.

How about having a conversation with the company that will be contracting to handle your former duties? If you're good enough to train their people, you're probably good enough to handle a supervisory position in their company.

That is definitely something that I am going to look at. At this point they still have not figured out which company it is going to be. Chances are that whatever company it is, I have worked with them on projects in the past so I may have some contacts to use as well.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is definitely something that I am going to look at. At this point they still have not figured out which company it is going to be. Chances are that whatever company it is, I have worked with them on projects in the past so I may have some contacts to use as well.

Been laid off twice in the last 4-5 years, I feel you bro. Like everyone else suggested, I've seen several times where friends/coworkers get hired by the incoming company and don't miss a beat. In some cases, they even made more money working for the new incoming company. Good luck!

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Going through the ranks at GE I got laid off six times in 15 years. Being the highest paying employer around it really was difficult to find anything else during those times.

I finally decided I would never get anywhere losing my income every three years or so and jumped ship, that place employed 4000 when I started, they completely closed up shop this year.

I hope you get back on your feet soon, it's still rough out there.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
7 times for me. Lost wages in excess of $250k. Lost retirement contribution? I never bothered to calculate because I’d slit my wrists. I am a top performer so it was never performance based. Two have been chapter 11. Another two relocation, another two buyouts. And one to Indians, dots not feathers..it sucks and my best to you. I will never full recover financially.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you are going thru. Done that so many times, all with the same company.

Every time I got a savings built up, bang, laid off.
Finally got my time in and am now retired.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Chin up, buddy. It sucks at the present but you have to believe it's all for the better.

Getting laid off or the threat of getting laid off has been one of my motivations to find another job. Twice I left before lay offs happened, I didn't want to be stuck in the job market with other people. Twice the company shut down. Each time I ended up getting better jobs or the next step up. The first time I was laid off, I was out of work for 4 months, we were able to live within the unemployment insurance without touching our savings. Every morning, I just woke up and saw my job as getting a job.

All the best to you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Those people that want you to give two weeks' notice before you quit a job? They really make me laugh. Roll Eyes

quote:
At least I will get the satisfaction of helping to train the new contractors that will be replacing me

As indicated in other posts, your situation is different, but anybody telling me to train my replacement would be told to FOAD.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Excellent option. While working with Florida Power and Light, after quite a few years the company started bringing more and more contractors in to do the job of an aging workforce in Power Delivery dept that would eventually be retiring and no plans to hire new employees to replace us cost wise. Many became a valuable commodity to the contractors and would snap them up as available with many good incentives in supervisory positions. Good luck and wish you well.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate getting laid off, happened a couple of times.

Hang in there, like some others said, see if you can get on with the new company. They will need experienced people.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately this is "normal" in private sector employment, contracting consulting or otherwise. The bad part is that it's not necessary, the result of incompetentcy and lack of initiative in business leadership. All but 5 years of my employment were in the private sector, and hell yes it gets old. I love the private sector for what it represents but eventually I needed to land. Pay cut of course, but the reduction in unhealthy stress is welcome.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Early in my career I thought only the lazy/low performers got laid off. Then I was laid off from a small software company 2.5 weeks after 9/11. My severance was my accrued vacation, which they also take out of unemployment. It sucked. Took me close to 2 years to find a job in IT, then another 4 years to fully recover financially. Worst period of time in my life.

I hope you find something before you have to train your replacement.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I just hired on, spent 3 months getting to enjoy the work and environment, and then got to have the CEO announce that they're shutting down our factory and moving our product to their facility in Nashville at the end of April. Small mercy is that they want me to go with them. I'm supposed to be getting my offer letter today, we'll see.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too. Sounds like Hell Belicopter. lol

Posts: 26 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: March 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post