SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mucinex... (edited first post with product description)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mucinex... (edited first post with product description) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
thanks , will stay away from the DM

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Textbooks are fine, but there are no absolutes in medicine, especially when it comes to real life. Just saying. Wink

It's not simply textbook my friend. I've given gallons of it over the course of my career and am quite well versed in the pharmacology. I have never seen (and don't expect to) an increased HR with neo. Never.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
when I get the funk (as my Dr calls it) he would prescribe what is now available from the Rx,

I think it is Mucinex DM, 12 hr, no script needed but have to get it from the Rx,

drys me out like a desert, maybe a slight sinus headache for a bit several times, and a few sniffles,
but overall fantastic,

downside it it allows me to sleep for only 2 hrs then I wake up, piss, get water, drop off to sleep, like on a damn timer
not like that when I am ill and do not take it,

tends to give me fukked up dreams too, but not like I wake up shooting the neighbors or anything,,, Wink

after 3 days or so I stop taking it, usually cause I don't need it anymore, however any more and I get dried out so bad I get nosebleeds

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Mucinex is speed, your body reacts similarly to taking meth.

ETA - Try the non D or DM version. Dextromethorphan is most likely what you are reacting to.

Do tell...

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Textbooks are fine, but there are no absolutes in medicine, especially when it comes to real life. Just saying. Wink

It's not simply textbook my friend. I've given gallons of it over the course of my career and am quite well versed in the pharmacology. I have never seen (and don't expect to) an increased HR with neo. Never.

I understand you are well versed, and have given gallons. But, one person's experience does not generalize to all. Don't be so rigid and quick to dismiss the experience of others. You, in medicine, should know this. Wink

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
tends to give me fukked up dreams too, but not like I wake up shooting the neighbors or anything,,,

LOL, now that I think about it, I did have some weird dreams last night.

The most vivid dream, we received a Home Fresh dinner kit with a live lobster, and we decided to keep it as a pet. Until my son let it out of the bucket in our kitchen, and hilarity ensued. Then I sent my wife to the store to get something to eat, so we didn't have to eat our pet. We were feeding the lobster AA batteries and discarded toilet paper rolls. And he loved them.

I feel like Hunter S. Thompson now. No wonder he wrote some crazy shit. Probably bingeing on Mucinex.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I feel like Hunter S. Thompson now. No wonder he wrote some crazy shit. Probably bingeing on Mucinex.

People are known to abuse large quantities of Dextomethorphan (most often either Robitussin or Coricidin Cough & Cold) for the hallucinogenic high. Lyman's Mucinex DM has Dextromethorphan in it.

But I don't believe the Phenylephrine in the Mucinex Severe Congestion that you took has the same effect. That was probably just a run-of-the-mill weird dream, rather than a drug-fueled trip through Bat Country.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Mucinex is speed, your body reacts similarly to taking meth.
ETA - Try the non D or DM version. Dextromethorphan is most likely what you are reacting to.

First half, wrong.
Second half, right. It was the dex that hit you. Use plain mucinex (or other OTC guaifenesin) next time. And... I’m almost afraid to ask... what do you mean by “adult dose”? It’s either 600 or 1200mg by label.
Dunno if you can OD on guaifenesin, but you should still stick to the label.
Feel better.
-Rob

Of the liquids I can find searching the Mucinex site is several "Fast Max" versions. Quick scanning reveals that vitually all except the "Fast Max DM Max" have Phenylephrine in them.
Don't know which version the OP took.

Having taken Mucinex for years, I've never had the tablets do that to me...even the Mucinex D version that has pseudoephedrine.
This. You took the decongestant version and not regular mucinex. Regular Mucinex tablets, even the DM version, will likely not do this to you. In fact, the DM version is more likely to make you cloudy than anxious.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Damn that sucks. I LOVE mucinex when I'm congested.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

People are known to abuse large quantities of Dextomethorphan (most often either Robitussin or Coricidin Cough & Cold) for the hallucinogenic high. Lyman's Mucinex DM has Dextromethorphan in it.

But I don't believe the Phenylephrine in the Mucinex Severe Congestion that you took has the same effect. That was probably just a run-of-the-mill weird dream, rather than a drug-fueled trip through Bat Country.

As my drug fueled haze wore off, I awoke wearing a kilt made from a bean bag chair, a chef's hat made from a Dorito's bag, and my genitals were taped to both legs.

Laying next to me was a goat, a person who may or may not have been a Philipino transgender, a large bucket of urine, and a larger bucket of a substance I can't disclose. I was glad to see my Sig 225 with pearl grips was still on the night stand. I'm not sure how the bullet plates to stop a .308 Lupua were still taped to my back. I noticed foot prints on the ceiling.

It was an odd night.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the product discription that asksmith gave the product contains guaifenecin (it is to hydrate the congestion, not any better than water) acetaminophen (brand name is Tylenol-pain and fever reducer) and phenylephrine (a nasal decongestant-like sudafed- this is most likely the culprit, it can cause nervousness, increase heart rate and blood pressure. It’s normally not as bad as sudafed but that is a reaction that varies by the individual)

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I felt like that the first time I took Ripped Fuel in the 90s (ephedrine from GNC) and worked out.

That effect stopped by the next time I took it.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man o man , I got the generic stuff and that was the ! ticket, thanks

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

As my drug fueled haze wore off, I awoke wearing a kilt made from a bean bag chair, a chef's hat made from a Dorito's bag, and my genitals were taped to both legs.

Laying next to me was a goat, a person who may or may not have been a Philipino transgender, a large bucket of urine, and a larger bucket of a substance I can't disclose. I was glad to see my Sig 225 with pearl grips was still on the night stand. I'm not sure how the bullet plates to stop a .308 Lupua were still taped to my back. I noticed foot prints on the ceiling.

It was an odd night.

good times,, good times,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was an odd night.

Both legs....I am impressed

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
now I have to wonder if using it for more than a couple of weeks will actually make the congestion worse , if I stop taking it ?

seems like its masking the problem w/o treating the malady