SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mucinex... (edited first post with product description)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mucinex... (edited first post with product description) Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
My son had to leave school last Thursday, due to a small fever. I had to call off work on Friday, since he stayed home.

I started feeling off Saturday, mainly a massive amount of head congestion. I actually resorted to sleeping in a chair to help drain.

My son and I went to the gym this morning, and I had taken an adult dose of Mucinex before we left. Just doing very moderate cardio, I was sweating profusely. After about 40min, I said screw it, and just stretched. I didn't want to ruin my son's workout, so I just kind of chilled.

Got to work about 8am, started feeling very anxious, and sort of disoriented. I started slamming water.

It seemed to go away, but by 2pm, I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance. Very dizzy, and my heart rate was extremely high.

I drank close to a gallon of water throughout the day, and only pissed once.

Never again. I must be allergic to that stuff.

Edit. This is what I used: http://www.mucinex.com/product...stion-relief-liquid/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ASKSmith,

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Mucinex is speed, your body reacts similarly to taking meth.

ETA - Try the non D or DM version. Dextromethorphan is most likely what you are reacting to.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
And people get addicted to that shit???

I think it has coursed through my system. I don't feel too bad now.

Thankfully it was a nice day, 60 degrees in PA, any colder or hotter, I'd probably have been a lot more miserable.

In the office, my boss asked how my son was. I told him he was fine, but I caught his "funk". I told him I had taken some Mucinex, and I honestly don't know where I am.

I think I will stick to the Vick's VapoRub and Melatonin at night. Or a 5th of Jack.

-----------------
I apologize now...

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I wonder who the voice actor for the personification of mucus is. I don't know that I'd want that on my resume.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I wish they'd bring a T-shirt to market. I want one.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

ETA - Try the non D or DM version. Dextromethorphan is most likely what you are reacting to.

First half, wrong.

Second half, right. It was the dex that hit you. Use plain mucinex (or other OTC guaifenesin) next time. And... I’m almost afraid to ask... what do you mean by “adult dose”? It’s either 600 or 1200mg by label.

Dunno if you can OD on guaifenesin, but you should still stick to the label.

Feel better.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I took 20ml per the label. It said not to exceed that dose every 4hrs.

Took me close to 12hrs to feel normal after one “shot”.

-----------------
I apologize now...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

First half, wrong.

Second half, right. It was the dex that hit you. Use plain mucinex (or other OTC guaifenesin) next time. And... I’m almost afraid to ask... what do you mean by “adult dose”? It’s either 600 or 1200mg by label.

Feel better.

-Rob

I've taken the plain Mucinex 1200mg and it didn't jack up my blood pressure.

OP must have taken something else.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:

First half, wrong.

Feel better.

-Rob

I've taken the plain Mucinex 1200mg and it didn't jack up my blood pressure.

OP must have taken something else.

He’s measuring his dose in ml. That must mean their liquid stuff. Never looked at it. Don’t know what’s in it. Mucinex brand name slapped on a cough syrup w/ expectorant?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

First half, wrong.
Feel better.
-Rob

Of the liquids I can find searching the Mucinex site is several "Fast Max" versions. Quick scanning reveals that vitually all except the "Fast Max DM Max" have Phenylephrine in them.
Don't know which version the OP took.

Having taken Mucinex for years, I've never had the tablets do that to me...even the Mucinex D version that has pseudoephedrine.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I purchased the liquid 2 bottle package. It has a daytime and night time bottles. I double checked that I was taking the day time formula, and took the correct dose.

I don't think I got a bad batch, I just don't think I'm a good candidate for this product.

I don't like to take cold medications. Nyquil will work for a few hrs, like maybe 4, but then I can't get back to sleep. And I don't want to redose at 3 am, if I'm getting up in 2 hrs.

2 tablets of Melatonin worked perfect last night. I'll stick to the natural stuff.

I feel much better today, and actually had a decent workout.

This is what I used yesterday. Never again. http://www.mucinex.com/product...stion-relief-liquid/

-----------------
I apologize now...

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just don't think I'm a good candidate for this product.

I rather be sick than take Dextromethorphan or Pseudoephedrine. Not 100% sure about the Phenylephrine, but I am not risking it.

The stimulants make me unable to sleep or concentrate, feel weird, and have joint pain.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Anything with Phenylephrine, Dextromethorphan, or Pseudoephedrine makes me jittery.

Regular Mucinex (straight Guaifenesin) is fine, though. http://www.mucinex.com/product...-congestion/mucinex/

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a bad experience with it too but I made it worse by drinking a Monster™ energy drink with it.
I could not hold a thought in my head for more than a few seconds and I was running around like a scalded dog. Still some parts of that day that are hazy.
That was purely my fault though.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Maximum Strength Sinus-Max® Severe Congestion Relief Liquid

Active Ingredients: In Each 20 ml: Acetaminophen (650 mg), Guaifenesin (400 mg), Phenylephrine HCl (10 mg).

Acetaminophen: analgesic, antipyretic. This should not be the issue with OP.

Guaifenesin: expectorant. Should not be an issue, either.

Phenylephrine: decongestant. Although not as bad as pseudoephedrine, it can and does increase your BP and HR. Most likely the culprit with the OP.

Take home lesson is, always read the active ingredients listed in the back fine prints, not just look at the fancy trade name.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Phenylephrine: decongestant. Although not as bad as pseudoephedrine, it can and does increase your BP and HR. Most likely the culprit with the OP.

Phenylephrine is primary alpha-adrenergic with minimal if any beta effects. An increase in HR is unlikely to occur with its administration and in fact a reflex bradycardia occurs in response to the increase in BP.

Not being nit-picky, just clarifying.

(Pseudo)Ephedrine on the other hand....

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I purchased the liquid 2 bottle package. It has a daytime and night time bottles. I double checked that I was taking the day time formula, and took the correct dose.

I don't think I got a bad batch, I just don't think I'm a good candidate for this product.

I don't like to take cold medications. Nyquil will work for a few hrs, like maybe 4, but then I can't get back to sleep. And I don't want to redose at 3 am, if I'm getting up in 2 hrs.

2 tablets of Melatonin worked perfect last night. I'll stick to the natural stuff.

I feel much better today, and actually had a decent workout.

This is what I used yesterday. Never again. http://www.mucinex.com/product...stion-relief-liquid/

Wow. The safety information is enough to scare me away from that stuff.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Phenylephrine is primary alpha-adrenergic with minimal if any beta effects. An increase in HR is unlikely to occur with its administration and in fact a reflex bradycardia occurs in response to the increase in BP.

Not being nit-picky, just clarifying.

(Pseudo)Ephedrine on the other hand....

Textbooks are fine, but there are no absolutes in medicine, especially when it comes to real life. Just saying. Wink

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some bronchial congestion , I wonder if it would loosen that up or is this just for above the neck congestion?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I have some bronchial congestion , I wonder if it would loosen that up or is this just for above the neck congestion?

Standard Mucinex (Guaifenesin) is for bronchial congestion.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post