SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stolen gun and people who don't listen...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stolen gun and people who don't listen... Login/Join 
Picture of rmc85
posted
My buddy texted me yesterday asking if I have the serial number for the 1911 I sold him years ago. Of course I knew it was either lost or stolen so I asked what happened. He said he was parked at his GF house and left the gun in his truck over night. Came out in the morning to see his window smashed and the gun missing so now the cops want the serial number.

Good thing I keep really good records on all guns I own and who I've sold any of them to in the past. It took me all of 30 seconds to get him the serial number so he could give it to the cops.

It just kills me that he left it in his truck for no reason and didn't have the serial number written down anywhere (which I told him to do). I know there are times you can't avoid leaving a gun in your vehicle, but this was not one of those times. I'm also feeling a little guilty since now a gun I owned could be involved in who knows what other crimes around town. I guess on the bright side since the cops have the s/n they know its stolen if the see it in a stop or other crime.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rmc85,

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks for your friend. Hopefully nothing bad happens with it, but I’m assuming if someone is stupid enough to steal a gun they’re probably going to be in some stupid situation where it gets confiscated (just hope the stupid situation is j-walking and not a crime using the firearm)

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
This is one of the reasons I very seldom ever sell or trade a gun.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, I read your post a few times and can't figure out who the people are that weren't listening.

Do you feel guilty selling a car? Someone, someday could drive it into a crowd of people.

Posts: 10822 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happens. Gave a car to charity some years ago and later got a letter from Chicago PD asking if I wanted to come pick it up in their impound lot (title transfer hadn't worked its way through the system at that point). Apparently it was impounded when they arrested some low life with drugs when he was driving it. Told PD it wasn't mine any more and they could do with it as they pleased.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I'm sorry, I read your post a few times and can't figure out who the people are that weren't listening.

Do you feel guilty selling a car? Someone, someday could drive it into a crowd of people.

Sorry fixed it.

And yeah I feel bad. I sold it to him at a good price because he’s a friend and wanted a pistol. Had I not sold it to him it wouldn’t be stolen.

I didn’t say I’m crying over it, but it sucks. This isn’t a debate about “a guns just a tool” because I know it is. More me feeling bad that he was an idiot.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad or guilty. You tried to help a buddy out and after that, you have no control over what happens next.

Posts: 10822 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
You did well having the serial number, some year it should show up. Other than that, it’s mostly a lesson for him, hopefully.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
It's his dumbassery for getting his pistol stolen, not yours for selling it to him.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sorry for your friend. Leaving a weapon in a car overnight for a no good reason like he had, he deserves to lose it. Maybe he is not responsible enough to own a gun.

I hate locking it in a lock box in my car and going into a bank for 5 minutes.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have guns hidden in lock boxes in both my cars. They are cheap Taurus pistols that wouldn’t exactly break my heart if they got nabbed. I mean I wouldn’t want Guns if mine on the street but the actually pistols mean nothing to me. I work in scrubs, I can’t carry to and from work. Can’t brinf guns into my work. Guns live in the car 24/7.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I hate locking it in a lock box in my car and going into a bank for 5 minutes.
Are you restricted from concealed carry in a bank? Is that an Ohio thing?

No restriction here in Florida. A lot of banks have signs on the doors prohibiting hats and sunglasses but I have never seen a "no weapons" sign on a bank.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post