SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bullet weight rant - please use "grain" correctly:
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet weight rant - please use "grain" correctly: Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Jhe888, I've got your formula right, that's 2gr/hooker. What about their employer? Is it customary for the employer to take a percentage of the each hookers share or does he procure additional amounts for himself?

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Jhe888, I've got your formula right, that's 2gr/hooker. What about their employer? Is it customary for the employer to take a percentage of the each hookers share or does he procure additional amounts for himself?

It's just a rough rule of thumb - like buying beer for a party.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
clip...clip....clip....clip

oh...sorry wrong rant Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Ha.

But I did once read of a new reloader who was making up some .38 Special loads with Bullseye. He complained that picking up and getting just three "grains" of Bullseye into a case was a huge pain in the ass. Apparently he thought that meant three flakes of the powder.

I don't know if it is true, but it ought to be.

Wow. How did this guy think he would load in partial grains? Moving up to 3.2 grains would be really difficult, what with cutting those tiny flakes into fifths.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
When buying meat from said butcher, does he slice it with the grain, or against the grain?

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the same thing but in the general ball park...as a young boy I told my Dad that for Christmas I wanted a "twenty-two shotgun". He kind of chuckled and told me there wasn't such a thing. Fast forward to 1987. I was stationed in Germany and went to Frankonia-Jagd which is kind of like a high end Dick's or Cabella's. Anyway, I discovered that there WAS such a thing. It was called a Drilling. This particular one was a double barreled shotgun in 20 gauge with a .22 hornet barrel under the two shotgun barrels. The dollar was strong and IIRC it was over 3:1 at the time so I bought it for my Dad for Christmas. It wasn't one of the super expensive, high end versions that were so beautiful and all engraved and such but was pretty nice. It was more like the equivalent of our Sears brand gun. He LOVED it. To his credit he even remembered that he had told me that these didn't exist.

It looked like this...

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Solid rant, sir.

I frequently convert between grains and grams, as my blow reloading scale is actually a professional laboratory scale, courtesy of my chemist father. I find it incredible how something so simple can just baffle some folks... it's like speaking a foreign language.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is akin to calling a magazine a clip. Yeah, everyone will know what you mean, but to those in the know, you sound like a maroon when you misuse "grain." We are the gun people, so lets sound like it.

I think you mean moron.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
Not exactly the same thing but in the general ball park...as a young boy I told my Dad that for Christmas I wanted a "twenty-two shotgun". He kind of chuckled and told me there wasn't such a thing. Fast forward to 1987. I was stationed in Germany and went to Frankonia-Jagd which is kind of like a high end Dick's or Cabella's. Anyway, I discovered that there WAS such a thing. It was called a Drilling. This particular one was a double barreled shotgun in 20 gauge with a .22 hornet barrel under the two shotgun barrels. The dollar was strong and IIRC it was over 3:1 at the time so I bought it for my Dad for Christmas. It wasn't one of the super expensive, high end versions that were so beautiful and all engraved and such but was pretty nice. It was more like the equivalent of our Sears brand gun. He LOVED it. To his credit he even remembered that he had told me that these didn't exist.

It looked like this...

I remember those drillings. Saw a BUNCH of them when stationed in Germany. My father in law was a German forester and I got to do a lot of hunting with foresters and civilian hunters.

Shot a couple of those drillings as well. Very nice guns. AIR, even saw a couple with scopes mounted, but am pretty sure the rifled barrel was something like 8MM.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, if you are measuring blow, there are 15.43 grains to the gram. You can use your reloading scale to mete it out.

The first useful Pro Tip I have seen around here in some time. Thanks!

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

Wife came home after her department upgraded from G-17's to G-22's. Look at my new 40mm, she says. Smile

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
It's a common way of saying such a thing it may be lazy English but I don't care and am likely guilty of it along with many other folks in the shooting community. Call it slang or whatever you want but it's here to stay.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is not slang. Slang is using "heater" for "gun" or calling your friend your "homeboy."

Using "grain" in that way is bad grammar and poor usage, plain and simple. You can choose to use English well or not, but it isn't slang.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
"Three hookers.....six.....grams." Got it.

The "three grains of Bullseye" is credible to me just because we're used to using the word "grain" as a noun that describes a particular object rather than a unit of weight. That and the word "granule" doesn't just flow from the lips.

BTW, does anyone other than gun nuts use "grain" as a unit of measure for weight any more?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
"Three hookers.....six.....grams." Got it.

The "three grains of Bullseye" is credible to me just because we're used to using the word "grain" as a noun that describes a particular object rather than a unit of weight. That and the word "granule" doesn't just flow from the lips.

BTW, does anyone other than gun nuts use "grain" as a unit of measure for weight any more?

Alchemists.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
You might say a dram may confuse an apothecary's scruples

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Wikipedia says grains are used to measure the weight of arrows (never heard that before), and also dentists use grains when measuring gold foil. Other than those two, I did not find any additional current references to the use of grains.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
When buying meat from said butcher, does he slice it with the grain, or against the grain?

if he is a Butcher, it is cutting against the grain, if he is not, he is either a new apprentice, or soon to be out of work,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post