SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bullet weight rant - please use "grain" correctly:
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet weight rant - please use "grain" correctly: Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
This is akin to calling a magazine a clip. Yeah, everyone will know what you mean, but to those in the know, you sound like a maroon when you misuse "grain." We are the gun people, so lets sound like it.

The grain is a measure of weight: 1/7000 of a pound. It is like pounds, ounces, or grams. It is related, in the mists of time, to the weight of a grain of wheat, rye, or something.

So a bullet weighs 140 grains.

Many ask a question like this; "What grain bullet should I use for a T-rex?"

That is bad (very bad) grammar. It also shows you don't really understand what a grain is.

It is as wrong as if you went to the butcher's counter at the Piggly Wiggly and the butcher asked you; "What pound steak do you want?" That would sound wrong, and you would, quite rightly, conclude that the butcher was an uneducated lummox who didn't know his business.

Or, like asking; "What gram blow do I need for a party with 3 hookers?"

So ask instead; "What weight bullet should I use for a T-rex?" Or: "How many grains for a bullet used on a T-rex?"

Then you will sound like you know what you are talking about.

(I would not shoot a T-rex with any projectile measured in grains. I would suggest a 2 pounder cannon, or a 20mm Oerlikon gun. And at least 6 grams for 3 hookers.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:

(I would not shoot a T-rex with any projectile with a bullet measured in grains. I would suggest a 2 pounder cannon, or a 20mm Oerlikon gun. And at least 6 grams for 3 hookers.)

You could ask Trump's son what he used on that triceratops.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16068 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Ha.

But I did once read of a new reloader who was making up some .38 Special loads with Bullseye. He complained that picking up and getting just three "grains" of Bullseye into a case was a huge pain in the ass. Apparently he thought that meant three flakes of the powder.

I don't know if it is true, but it ought to be.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear you! I was recently approached by a neighbor who was carrying a spent 12GA shell.
Conversation:
She: "What caliber is this"?
Me: "12GA"
She: "I thought all guns were measured in caliber"?
Me: "Ok, its .73 caliber"!
She: "When did caliber become gauge"?
Me: "It is just differing ways of measuring bore diameter".
She: "Bore"? "What's that"?
Me: "This discussion".
And she handed me the shell. Thanks!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16068 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You should have also confused her more my telling her that with artillery, caliber means the ratio of the length of the barrel to the bore diameter.

Her shotgun shell could be used in a shotgun with a barrel 24.6 to 43.8 calibers long.

Did you explain that 12 is the number of round balls of that bore size in a pound?

But then you would have been a mansplaining SOB.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Ha.

But I did once read of a new reloader who was making up some .38 Special loads with Bullseye. He complained that picking up and getting just three "grains" of Bullseye into a case was a huge pain in the ass. Apparently he thought that meant three flakes of the powder.

Yes, it is true...was asked that question not that long ago

Without another point of reference, a "grain of salt" is often many people's closest exposure to the meaning of the word.

They understand that it is a measurement, but misunderstand that it is a unit of weight

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I was a child I witnessed a conversation about the same question. So yes, it certainly could be true. A particle of gunpowder looks much more like what most people conceive of as a “grain” than a unit of weight.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
OK, smart guys. How do you measure Cordite? Just to see for myself, I once tore apart a .303 surplus round. I use the term tore because it was the only way to pull the bullet. Damn brits glued the stupid bullet in place. What came out was a bunch of worm like critters, all dried up from age. So are strands of Cordite weighed, measured, or just cut to length?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
So how many Newton Meters to take down that elephant? Razz

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I'll never forget the time I was out camping, some years ago, and a guy was there who "brought his nine" and wanted to shoot it (the brother of a girl who was there). He stated -- "I bought the biggest grain bullet because it's the most powerful ones they had". Roll Eyes

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Abusing the marvelous English language just goes against the grain, don't you think?

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a bore and goes against the grain.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Speaking of shotgun gauges, .410 is not a gauge.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

(And at least 6 grams for 3 hookers.)

Cheapskate. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
But how many grains was the T-Rex?

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
But how many grains was the T-Rex?

130,200,000 grains.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
"What pound steak do you want?"

Would be understood very well here in an AZ grocery. I have been asked just such a question. No problem. Smile

BTW, if you are measuring blow, there are 15.43 grains to the gram. You can use your reloading scale to mete it out.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
So how many Newton Meters to take down that elephant? Razz

7300 should do it.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Back when ammo was scarce, bullet weight was measured in carats. Smile
Eg: 22 LR, 9.4 carat

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post