SIGforum
Task chairs

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9600031334

November 13, 2017, 12:57 PM
Jumper
Task chairs
I can't catch a break.

My 2012 Office Depot $250 special finally began giving me trouble months ago. Replaced the gas cylinder, but got the wrong shape. Too high. Got another one. Still a little too high.

Said hell with it and bought a new chair. Didn't fit me properly. Took the cylinder out of it and put it in my old chair, put the best-fitting replacement cylinder into the new one, and gave it to a coworker.

Father brought me a nice Haworth Zody task chair with all the adjustments on it. Happy day.

Except the height adjustment lever required some serious force to get it to work. Then it stopped altogether.

Got down there with a flashlight and pliers and looked for adjustments. None. Said hell with it and use the pliers to try to pull the cable and raise it a couple inches.

Cable snapped.

Fuck.

Removed the adjustment handle assembly, got a pair of vice grips, and said hell with it, I'll just adjust it with pliers when I need to. Got a good grip on the broken cable, started tugging...

Cable slipped free and shot into the plastic cable housing.

Damn it all to hell.

Now to open up the main housing I need to find an allen wrench style torx because I'll need to remove a couple of screws that are damned hard to get to with the chair sitting so low on the cylinder.

And then I'll need an entire new cable assembly, I think. Unless I learn how to weld a stranded cable back together.

Sigh.

Maybe I need to just sit on giant exercise balls.
November 13, 2017, 01:44 PM
MPB
Try one of those stand up desks.
Big Grin
November 13, 2017, 05:03 PM
flesheatingvirus
Sounds like you need to stop saying to hell with it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
November 13, 2017, 05:35 PM
SigJacket
quote:
Originally posted by MPB:
Try one of those stand up desks.
Big Grin

That’s me. Love it.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844
November 13, 2017, 08:47 PM
Gustofer
I just want to know where you found an office chair for $250. They bought new ones for us awhile back at $650 a pop. And they suck.

November 13, 2017, 08:56 PM
Skins2881
My office chair is one I got when the office one floor up went out of business. Land lord or someone threw them all in a dumpster and I dragged one home with me. That was 15 years ago, still appears to chair just fine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
November 13, 2017, 08:58 PM
Mikito
Yep. You need one of those fancy standing chairs.
November 13, 2017, 11:49 PM
Rey HRH
Office chairs are a pain for me also.

While I also had the piston problem before, my main problem is getting a chair with the right arm rests.

The chairs I've had to date can't adjust vertically to be right under my elbow. I can only adjust them to be too high which raises my shoulders or it's too low. I can't move them horizontally so that they're out of the way either in or out.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
November 14, 2017, 06:57 PM
Jumper
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Sounds like you need to stop saying to hell with it.

What?! Have you gone mad?! "To hell with it" is how I end up grunting and muttering and cursing while I awkwardly scoot up under my chair with a screwdriver in one hand, a flashlight in the other, and pliers... actually, I don't remember how I held the pliers.

Sometimes I wonder if I break things on purpose just so I can fix them.

Don't worry, never having kids. Big Grin
November 14, 2017, 07:55 PM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
That was 15 years ago

I hear ya. The chair in my office was there when I started this job... over 17 years ago. Each Christmas I say I'm going to go buy myself a new chair. Maybe this year I'll actually do it. Razz

God bless America.
November 15, 2017, 07:22 AM
flesheatingvirus
quote:
Originally posted by Jumper:

Don't worry, never having kids. Big Grin

To hell with that!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --