SIGforum
AT&T cut my irrigation lines

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9600030544

July 29, 2018, 09:01 AM
Dusty78
AT&T cut my irrigation lines
So AT&T was here last week burying a fiber optic wire on my property. They asked me to turn on my sprinklers so they can see the position of the heads which I did and they still managed to cut my lines so now zones 1-3 don’t work anymore. There a big puddle on the side of my house so I’m guessing that’s were the cut is. Mad

July 29, 2018, 09:10 AM
cheesegrits
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Carolinas, the guys installing new irrigation lines cut the AT&T U-Verse line to my parents' home.

Good luck on your repairs.
July 29, 2018, 09:54 AM
henryaz

I was here and watched the irrigation guy install our lines. After 15 years, I have a rough idea where they are, as they follow a path from the box where the valves are. Before we have any digging done (mostly fence installers), I always expose and flag the line in their path. The only other one I need to mark myself is our well's water line. Again, I know roughly where it is having been here while the house was built. I can pretty much eyeball where to dig to expose it. Anything else gets marked by Blue Stake (Miss Utility in AZ).

July 29, 2018, 09:59 AM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
So AT&T was here last week burying a fiber optic wire on my property. They asked me to turn on my sprinklers so they can see the position of the heads which I did and they still managed to cut my lines so now zones 1-3 don’t work anymore. There a big puddle on the side of my house so I’m guessing that’s were the cut is.

For what its worth much of that work is contracted out to morons. At least you will get fiber, it makes a big difference in reliability and internet speed.
July 29, 2018, 12:50 PM
Anush
quote:
At least you will get fiber, it makes a big difference in reliability and internet speed.

Yeah, twice the cost & only 1.5 times the speed. Megabit is AT&T fuzzy math.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
July 29, 2018, 01:25 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
Yeah, twice the cost & only 1.5 times the speed. Megabit is AT&T fuzzy math.

The big difference it made with me is reliability and no more dropped connections. That part was welcome.
July 29, 2018, 03:49 PM
Dusty78
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I was here and watched the irrigation guy install our lines. After 15 years, I have a rough idea where they are, as they follow a path from the box where the valves are. Before we have any digging done (mostly fence installers), I always expose and flag the line in their path. The only other one I need to mark myself is our well's water line. Again, I know roughly where it is having been here while the house was built. I can pretty much eyeball where to dig to expose it. Anything else gets marked by Blue Stake (Miss Utility in AZ).

I wish I had the option but I’ve owned the house less than a month and all the landscape work predates my ownership.

July 29, 2018, 04:07 PM
Opus Dei
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

For what its worth much of that work is contracted out to morons. At least you will get fiber, it makes a big difference in reliability and internet speed.
Ah, my line of work. Really, you should shut the fuck up.
July 29, 2018, 04:35 PM
Augen
Ah yes the we are digging up your yard but will put it back exactly BS.

Between AT&T and the county not marking the water main correctly, the contractors collapsed area of my yard and sidewalk, the streetlamp, and cut 2 areas of my irrigation. All in May in Florida.

Took 3 months to get it all repaired. Except my lawn of course. There are areas that look like shit.

I don’t even use AT&T so it was interesting g on the 2 occcasions door-to-door sales people came promoting AT&T. I always tell them once they replace my sod then we can talk. No takers yet.
July 29, 2018, 04:57 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:

Not to piss on the your job, but the subs here they use are horrible. I could start a multi page rant about them. In short, they cut my CU phone line, accidentally ran new drop to my house and cut my working one leaving me W/O service for a week, left a temp drop across my lawn for year plus to neighbors house and aren't accountable for any of their fuck ups.

Again nothing to do with your business, but here they suck ass. My experience was with Verizon, not AT&T.

Christy box in my back yard that I've asked them to less than ten times to close, yet they won't. I'm going to bolt it shut then put 6" of dirt and gravel in top just to piss them off. After my year plus battle with them, I truly despise their subs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
July 29, 2018, 05:34 PM
Opus Dei
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:

Not to piss on the your job, but the subs here they use are horrible. I could start a multi page rant about them. In short, they cut my CU phone line, accidentally ran new drop to my house and cut my working one leaving me W/O service for a week, left a temp drop across my lawn for year plus to neighbors house and aren't accountable for any of their fuck ups.

Again nothing to do with your business, but here they suck ass. My experience was with Verizon, not AT&T.

Christy box in my back yard that I've asked them to less than ten times to close, yet they won't. I'm going to bolt it shut then put 6" of dirt and gravel in top just to piss them off. After my year plus battle with them, I truly despise their subs.
There are poor workmen in any industry. It's painting with a pretty broad brush for zsmichael to term "much of that work is contracted to morons"-because it's all contracted. AT&T pulls quality on 100% of construction work, here. Installation/Repair, maybe 10-20%.

That open handhole-was it in fact left open by contractors? We seldom have to go into them. Splicers and locators go into them frequently. In fact, they usually throw those bolts away, as they're an impediment to them.

I have no answer for that drop situation-here, temporary drops are almost never laid out due to fear of people tripping on them.
July 29, 2018, 08:07 PM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I wish I had the option but I’ve owned the house less than a month and all the landscape work predates my ownership.

Witching stick? Smile

July 30, 2018, 09:48 AM
SR
I apologize in advance for the thread drift.

Opus Dei I totally understand your point but I think you were more than a little harsh with ZSMICHAEL.

Morons installed my phone line in Austin. I was the third lot. They brought the line along the back of the lots and then down the middle of my back yard - about 75 yard through natural area. I was in that house about 5 years and that part of the yard never grew back correctly. Guests said - hey, what happened in the middle of your yard? Oh, the installers though the telephone line needed to be in the middle of my yard and dug a nasty and unduly wide trench. No, I don't understand why they didn't come down the property line where it would have been less noticeable.

The story continues - We had horrible service. Many complaints to the phone company and many teams were sent out to fix the problem. I finally went to the back of the lot and discovered that sections of the line were not buried along the fence line. I followed it the 2.5 lots and found where it was spliced into another line. The splice was covered by running the wire through an empty caulk tube. (Which was filled with water.)

The last group that was sent out told me the original team could have tied in at the front of the house. That team tied in at the front of the house and we never had another problem.

Apparently the first guys got paid by the foot. They did a huge amount of damage. But why did it talk at least 4 teams to get the problem identified and fixed? Perhaps it was your team - that finally got it fixed correctly.

Sorry if you're offended, Morons is an apt description of all but the last team.

I'm a service professional as well, there are morons in my profession as well. It's just a fact of life that some providers are morons.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig
July 30, 2018, 09:55 AM
ubelongoutside
I'll chime in similarily to the others with poor service from AT&T contractors, and again from Comcast contractors.

AT&T wanted to leave a line strung above ground through my backyard kids play area. I said nay nay to that and an FCC complaint got it removed and buried properly in a couple days. They must have been a little upset at me as my yard was all torn up, whereas the other two they went through looked untouched. Got the last laugh there too as I escalated the complaint until I got them to send out a real landscape crew to fix the mess they left after their solution of throwing some seed on the rutted torn up grass didn't satisfy me.

We had to have the Comcast line to our house replaced about a year later, and after waiting 2 months for them to come back and bury it I finally just did it myself.

July 30, 2018, 10:31 AM
Opus Dei
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
I apologize in advance for the thread drift.

Opus Dei I totally understand your point but I think you were more than a little harsh with ZSMICHAEL.

Morons installed my phone line in Austin. I was the third lot. They brought the line along the back of the lots and then down the middle of my back yard - about 75 yard through natural area. I was in that house about 5 years and that part of the yard never grew back correctly. Guests said - hey, what happened in the middle of your yard? Oh, the installers though the telephone line needed to be in the middle of my yard and dug a nasty and unduly wide trench. No, I don't understand why they didn't come down the property line where it would have been less noticeable.

The story continues - We had horrible service. Many complaints to the phone company and many teams were sent out to fix the problem. I finally went to the back of the lot and discovered that sections of the line were not buried along the fence line. I followed it the 2.5 lots and found where it was spliced into another line. The splice was covered by running the wire through an empty caulk tube. (Which was filled with water.)

The last group that was sent out told me the original team could have tied in at the front of the house. That team tied in at the front of the house and we never had another problem.

Apparently the first guys got paid by the foot. They did a huge amount of damage. But why did it talk at least 4 teams to get the problem identified and fixed? Perhaps it was your team - that finally got it fixed correctly.

Sorry if you're offended, Morons is an apt description of all but the last team.

I'm a service professional as well, there are morons in my profession as well. It's just a fact of life that some providers are morons.
No,I'm more in the Coastal Bend area. Rough..maybe a little. As mentioned, there's dumbasses in every field. Kinda like how the LEOs here get so much shit over a few bad apples.

FWIW, anybody that experienced poor workmanship WRT utilities should go through normal channels of remediation (claims departments). But when contacting Claims, make it clear you're giving X time for resolution, or you'll escalate it to your state utility commission. That gets faster results.
August 02, 2018, 04:28 PM
comet24
We have Verizon fiber here. I think at any current time 1 in 6 boxes in my neighboorhood is completely or partially open. There are always a few lines running from open boxes to homes across common area's. Last year they ran one line across a sidewalk in the crack. Soon it was pushed up because the line is stiff. Took three calls and me threatening to just cut it because someone was going to get hurt for them to fix it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
August 08, 2018, 05:14 AM
Excam_Man
Better your sprinklers than a field tile... which flooded a complete basement.
Yep, that's where all the mechanicals were located. About 20k worth of damage.

August 08, 2018, 10:07 AM
henryaz

It should be an easy fix if your irrigation lines are like my flexible plastic lines. The emitters for each plant sprout off from the main line. They use special sleeves to join sections of line. The sleeves grip tightly and form a leak free joint. If that is your case, it's a simple matter of digging up the break, and splicing the line back together, with a short piece of line in the middle, with sleeves, if you have to cut the lines back.

August 08, 2018, 10:27 AM
deepocean
OP, sorry you had trouble with this. At least if you have a general idea where they trenched hopefully you can find where they crossed your lines and fix the leaks. That's better than some situations I've seen where a truck drove across a yard, and no one had any idea where the damage occurred.

Are they going to help you?
August 08, 2018, 05:36 PM
StorminNormin
I am pretty unhappy with AT&T right now. I have not had internet for 3 weeks now. It went out and it took them four days to get a technician to come out to said the problem was not in my house as he couldn’t get a signal at the junction box across the street. Several days later a special crew came to fix it and said they couldn’t and a new line would have to be run in the neighborhood. A week later the line finally got run. Days later a crew came and dug a trench across my yard to run a new line to my house. I was worried they may have cut a sprinkler line the way the trench ran but when I reviewed surveillance video I saw they did it with shovels. Internet still didn’t work and had to call for an update and they said more work needs to be done and it may be another week or so. This is now a situation beyond an inconvenience. There are weekends I am on-call and must be able to get on my work computer but can’t without internet and can’t pay bills. Pretty slow and frustrating!

NRA Benefactor Life Member