SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bought a new Tundra, but still miss my old 4runner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a new Tundra, but still miss my old 4runner Login/Join 
Picture of ACTEG
posted
I like my new $40k truck, but I miss my old reliable, did everything I needed it to do, v8 4x4 4runner. Only reason I moved up to the tundra was to handle towing a slightly bigger boat (which it does very well). That being said, I find myself searching craigslist for low mileage v8 4x4 4runners... Whats wrong with me. Should I just give in an buy one? It was my forever vehicle before selling it to my cousin. He was in a hard spot and needed a vehicle. Sold it to him for $2k below book.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with wanting another 4 Runner. If you've got the room, and the cash - find the 4Runner, make it your daley driver, and keep the Tundra as a tow vehicle.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
I hear ya, I bought a new Highlander last year, I still miss my 07 4runner Limited that I traded in. It's one the few vehicles I always find myself gazing at if I see one out and about (that and tger Land Cruisers)
Even though the interior of my 4runner looked like 1990 it was still my all time favorite vehicle

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Glad I'm not the only one. On my old 4runner, I put clazzio leather seat covers. It was around $400 and really spiffed up the interior. They were very durable as well.

posted Hide Post
Give it some time it will grow on you. For a short time I missed my Chevy Duramax when I bought my Tundra several years ago but it didn't take too long for me to realize that the Tundra is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

The Duramax was great on the open highway and got excellent milage for such a large truck but the Tundra is so much better in every other way. Give your Tundra some time and you'll be glad you got it..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had my '06 V8 Limited since it was new and still love it. The service guys at my local Toyota dealer are always trying to buy it from me. I have zero experience with the Tundra but they look awesome.

Posts: 130 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised they didn’t continue the 4.7 as an option on the 5th gen runners. I wouldn’t have bought it but I hear a lot of people say they’d get the V8 if it was an option.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9691 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine has two '08s, one with the V6 and one with the V8. The V8 really has the grunt, and the fuel economy penalty is only about 1mpg (assuming you drive it with some sense).

The V8 is his 6th 4Runner. His 2002 is still cracking right along, too, with about 260K miles. Dependable as can be, all of them.

God bless America.

Posts: 13498 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
When you get a new Tundra truck, you are supposed to post pictures... Cool

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me. Last year, I was forced to sell my 2006 V-6 silver 4-Runner Sport. I say forced because it had 234,000 miles on the clock and every time there was a minor problem, the co-pilot would say, "You need to get a new car." I loved that thing, drove it for ten years. Never held on to any other vehicle that long. Do not like the new version, too tall, too wide, too everything. It they shrink it back to the size of my 2006, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Current ride is a 2017 Outback. I like the mileage I'm getting but it's not the same.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, here is a picture of my new girl.

And here is a picture of my old girl. I've decided I am going to keep an eye out for a low mileage v8 4x4 4runner, and pick one up when I find one.

Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Woof, your 4runner looks mint.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Word of warning, sometimes buying another similar vehicle won't be the same.

I bought a 99 Tahoe in 2001 and ran it for about 7 years. I traded it towards a car due to the cost of gas and the high miles I traveled. After I traded it I always missed that vehicle.

Fast forward to 2012, I found a nearly idential 99 Tahoe and bought it. Same year, same color, same interior, only real difference was the radios was a "slightly" different model. It never felt the same. Never loved this one they way I did the first. Sold it 2.5 years later and haven't looked back.

Good luck.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
You guys are killing me. Last year, I was forced to sell my 2006 V-6 silver 4-Runner Sport. I say forced because it had 234,000 miles on the clock and every time there was a minor problem, the co-pilot would say, "You need to get a new car." I loved that thing, drove it for ten years. Never held on to any other vehicle that long. Do not like the new version, too tall, too wide, too everything. It they shrink it back to the size of my 2006, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Current ride is a 2017 Outback. I like the mileage I'm getting but it's not the same.

I agree, the new 4runners are God awful. Big bloated monstrosities. The old ones were so much better.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful truck. It will serve you well.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

I agree, the new 4runners are God awful. Big bloated monstrosities. The old ones were so much better.

Don't want to go back too far though. The first ones were beer cans. Never could figure out why they needed to enlarge the 4-Runnr when they already had the Sequoia.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Nice!
When my '03 first gen Tundra grows up, I want it to have that body style.
It has close to 200k so it's just getting broken in. Smile

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I wish they were bigger. I love the look but I need more room. Are there any model years that were bigger?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post