SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Website with automatic popups wanting your e-mail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Website with automatic popups wanting your e-mail Login/Join 
posted
Anyone else get annoyed with the automatic popup asking for your email when visiting websites?

Checking out the chair that was mentioned in a different thread is an example.
https://store.hermanmiller.com...5667.html?lang=en_US

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
It takes a half a second to close them out. Not enough drama for me to be annoyed with them. It might be an old fart thing. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
It takes a half a second to close them out.

This assumes it only appears once. I have visited sites that have it pop up on every page.
Also related: constant little popups saying "Jerkoff Q. Asshole bought this [item] 5 minutes ago, Fuckface J. Twatslot bought that 1 minute ago."

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Most (all?) browsers have a setting for pop-up blocker.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
It takes a half a second to close them out. Not enough drama for me to be annoyed with them. It might be an old fart thing. Smile

Jim

It slows the tablet down until it appears. You know it's coming, cuz you enter the dailup speed zone.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Chrome on tablet?

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Chrome on tablet?
I don’t see a setting on Chrome on tablet. I do see it on Safari.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The particular popups being described by the OP seem to be immune from any browser setting to block popups. I guess they are coded differently than other types of popup windows.

The Esc key works about half the time to make it disappear, or just X out and close it. If it's a web site I'm just casually browsing and don't really care about, I just close the whole tab and forget that site.

They are very annoying, I agree, and it is unfortunate that some firearms vendors also use them, even some well known to SIGforum users.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Anyone else get annoyed with the automatic popup asking for your email when visiting websites?

Some guy, walking down the street pushing a cart yelling: "Bring out your dead!" Sort of the same thing.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post