SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Property Tax Increases!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Tax Increases! Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Today I drove 45 minutes to the tax office in the county where I have my land to see if they would tell me what they used to support increasing the taxable value of my land. This is a rural county and the tax office was packed with people wanting to know why their property appraised for so much more. I heard one couple whose house went from $300K to $600K; a 100% increase just like mine. When it was my turn, the person told me they could not tell me why they valued my land at the price they did and they only way to know was to file a protest. I would find out the reason in the protest hearing. I explained I was trying to find out their reason for increasing my property value to be able to prepare for the hearing, but they said the only way I would find out was at the hearing itself. Such bullshit. They should have to provide documentation of their evaluation of your property when they mail you your estimated taxes. This is like going to court and not being allowed “discovery” until you are in court.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, and while you’re setting up your protest the date the taxes are due keeps marching forward.

Hard to imagine how a property could double in value over a short period? In some areas the ‘taxable value’ can be a little different from the reasonable price one may list the property for, up or down. They have a methodology to come up with the value.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How did I know I’d find fellow TX folks in this thread...

We have our home and rental properties. Dallas county didn’t even say bend over and say aw before they tried to stick it to us this year.

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I live in one of 4-5 counties (out of 55 in WV) that has to carry the whole state. Years ago assessors (which is a political position) in order to get re-elected were in the habit of *under* valuing property. The county and state still got their money simply by adjusting the levy rate.
About 7 years back the State (which is broke) mandated that all property be assessed at actual appraised values. The problem is it wasn't to make all appraisals "fair" as they claimed because they didn't keep it revenue neutral by adjusting down the rates, they simply took advantage of a windfall in revenue air the expense of property owners.
Some property values went up 50% or more, most went up at least 20%. Needless to say there were lines at the assessor's office to contest this huge increase but to little avail since the new property values were actually accurate.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The state of Texas is loosing over $1 billion in sales tax revenue to internet sales. The local governments are loosing their end as well.

Got to make up for it somehow.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Last year 60k property value increase. This year, 50k. At this rate they’ll tax us all out of owning a home.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago the property assessments in my neighborhood shot up. The county was flooded with complaints. Enough so that they investigated and called a meeting with the neighborhood. I missed the meeting, but long story short, the county determined that that whoever assessed the property values was incompetent and they had to redo all the assessments.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
Stand by for heavy rolls! If the striking/protesting teacher succeed in getting a pay raise, property taxes will likely go up to cover the increase.

What they forget is they will get a raise but have an increase in the taxes. They live in the neighborhoods and have property also, so they will get with one hand and give with the other.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 647 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tiger 2 Tank
posted Hide Post
Sick of property taxes too! It’s like I am renting my property and house from the government!

There is a movement to do something else, like increase a sales tax and eliminate property taxes in Texas. Hope that happens.

Posts: 968 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I did the initial protest on the current house I own and they were willing to reduce the market value of my home by $30K, which doesn’t help me at all. Last year’s taxable amount was $270 and they increased the market value to $330K, but with a homestead exemption they could only increase the taxable value this year to $297K so them willing to come down to $300K does me nothing as I would still be taxed at the $297K. I have done a lot of research and feel I can prove my argument in a hearing to have the value reduced to $275K, but it sucks as this will take a lot of my time and energy.

My other piece of land which is raw land and went up 100% will be much harder. I am trying to hire someone to fight it for me.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger 2 Tank:
Sick of property taxes too! It’s like I am renting my property and house from the government!

There is a movement to do something else, like increase a sales tax and eliminate property taxes in Texas. Hope that happens.

I too hope something is done, but I am not holding my breath. There is a lot of money to be made by the counties and also the property tax companies who fight the taxes. I almost feel they are in cahoots with each other as the companies can make easy money on small reductions and the county still gets extra money.

After I filed my protest on my current home and they sent me their evidence packet it shows they increased the value of my land the house is on by $30K. They have been raising the House value, but not the land for several years until now. The evidence packet shows the increase is due to them using properties for a luxury condo area not even in my neighborhood. Such crap. The houses with comp sales on my street show to have a land value as it has been but they want to increase mine based on a totally different neighborhood. Argh! Mad

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

After I filed my protest on my current home and they sent me their evidence packet it shows they increased the value of my land the house is on by $30K. They have been raising the House value, but not the land for several years until now. The evidence packet shows the increase is due to them using properties for a luxury condo area not even in my neighborhood. Such crap. The houses with comp sales on my street show to have a land value as it has been but they want to increase mine based on a totally different neighborhood. Argh! Mad

They pulled that BS on me several years ago.
3/4 acre lots in our subdivision were selling for less than $49,000 at the time.
They appraised my 1/2 acre lot at over $70,000.
I contested the increase, including submitting many comparables.
They reduced the appraised house value by about $10,000 and kept the value of the lot the same.
Of course the 'appraised' house and lot values started jumping back up the following year

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Michigan has a residential property tax limit. But there's a loophole. A city with a population of 15,000 or less can create a Special Assessment District without voter approval. Guess what? We are getting one.

Seems that the city is crying the blues about street maintenance. So they are shifting money from the General Fund to street maintenance and the SAD will be to replace the cuts to Public Safety funding

If you saw what they did mid 200o's you would see why there is a lot of opposition in the city. During the last phase of residential street reconstruction some idiot decided that instead of Stop or Yield signs at intersections they would put "traffic islands" in place. Yep, a circle in the middle of an intersection with a tree planted in the middle. The theory is that a motorist will slow down in that circle even though they still have stop and yield signs at the same intersections. Oh, and they were "quaint" according to the thought process in place at the time. Well the Mayor lost the next election along with some of the Council over that stupidity.

When the new administration came in they received estimates on removing the islands. Just a bit under 20K each. Guess what, we still have them.

Wonder what great forward idea they will come up with now? I think I will go to the next meeting and ask if they have any more great ideas like the islands to waste money on.

UPDATE: The city council was to have set at tonight's meeting the millage rate up to three mills. The gallery was packed, standing room only. This is a small city of about 9300 residents. Council got an earful, I got there about a half hour late, it was non stop comments for almost the next two hours with only one from the audience in favor of this. Without going into a lot of the boring details, two weeks ago all seven members including the Mayor were in favor of this. Tonight the vote was a tie with the Mayor the deciding "no" vote. What this means is that it will be voted on by the residents in November, sink or swim. But at least the voters will have a say in the matter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shovelhead,

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Dodged a bullet here in our little town of 4600 inhabitants yesterday, when a school bond was narrowly defeated 703-642. The bond was for 30 million bucks to build a new gym, a new cafeteria, a new driveway, and remodel the school. A school that has around 500 students. The school had kids accompanied by teachers out canvassing the neighborhoods during school hours, trying to get people to support this absurdity. We haven’t even finished paying for our five year old, entirely unnecessary, football field and stadium yet.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay out of Oregon. They are limited to no more than 3 pct increase per year, but... They can pass on levies, that have to be voted on, and most levies pass.

It will be interesting if the school levy renewal will pass with changes to the federal tax law on property tax deductions? The renters will vote for it as they 'think' they do not pay property taxes and then wonder why the rent increase.

Oh, and most of the kids still can read or write or know that 0+0 = 0.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Dodged a bullet here in our little town of 4600 inhabitants yesterday, when a school bond was narrowly defeated 703-642. The bond was for 30 million bucks to build a new gym, a new cafeteria, a new driveway, and remodel the school. A school that has around 500 students. The school had kids accompanied by teachers out canvassing the neighborhoods during school hours, trying to get people to support this absurdity. We haven’t even finished paying for our five year old, entirely unnecessary, football field and stadium yet.

The city school system here just built a huge new high school a few years ago. Now they’re about to build another that’s projected to cost $76 million. It’s cool though cause the original estimate was $100 million. I’m sure the county will get jealous and soak me for a new school soon. Mad

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post