SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Property Tax Increases!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Tax Increases! Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I am really getting tired of property taxes continuing to go up EVERY SINGLE year! My home’s taxable value goes up every year by about $20K. Most years I have been able to get it reduced but last year I couldn’t. I have not received this year’s estimate yet.

I own a second piece of land that has nothing on it and this year that county is taking the taxable value from $60K to $120K so they are doubling the taxable value!

Now I am going to have to fight my other land’s tax value and it is so frustrating as they just increase it every single year by crazy amounts and make you fight it or just pay it. I already have to put away enough money every month for the taxes that could pay a mortgage and if I have to pay this years’ increase it is going to be difficult to afford.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StorminNormin,

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Tell me about it.

We just had a professional appraisal done in late Dec. 2017, in order to open a new line of credit.
Monday we got our tax information and they have the property appraised at close to $45,000 over the professional appraisal that was just performed.
Time to contest their valuations once again.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
That’s how it was in WI before Gov Walker was elected, up by $100’s every year. They would even bloviate about the tax rate being reduce, but valuations were raised so the actual tax bill was higher.

We had a stop to that nonsense, our property tax bill is actually a handful of $100’s LESS than it was years ago.

Gov Walker is up for re-election next Fall, so far the Dems have no viable candidate. To many people fall for the smoke & mirrors though, keeping the fingers crossed.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Hey Norm -- you might want to edit your title before The Eagle whacks you with a ruler. I am with you 100% re the property tax increase, but:
quote:
lhttps://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8191014801

Please refrain from putting profanity in your thread titles

that includes stuff like "f&$k" or m0%$#*&^@r"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Hey Norm -- you might want to edit your title before The Eagle whacks you with a ruler. I am with you 100% re the property tax increase, but:
quote:
lhttps://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8191014801

Please refrain from putting profanity in your thread titles

that includes stuff like "f&$k" or m0%$#*&^@r"

Thanks, I knew no profanity, but not the symbols.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
Tell me about it.

We just had a professional appraisal done in late Dec. 2017, in order to open a new line of credit.
Monday we got our tax information and they have the property appraised at close to $45,000 over the professional appraisal that was just performed.
Time to contest their valuations once again.

Yeah I am going to have to pay to get an appraisal done for both properties. These county tax offices are just getting down right greedy. I am fine with being taxed for what is currently worth, but not when they over value it for more taxes.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The county assessors where I grew up in NC were outright criminals. They would drive down the street and never stop. Of course the value would go up by an insane amount. There would be obvious lies used to justify the increases. Once they claimed the increase on my parents house was due to upgrades. It’d been 20 years since anything had been done. They also valued a 1930s Ford at several thousand dollars. It wasn’t even a rolling chassis and had more holes than body panels. Dad had to fight it every year. Mad

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get used to it.

It's only going to get worse as cities and towns expand there social programs and feel good agendas.

They will literally tax you right out of the town.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I own a house in Jersey.

Property taxes for that house are $10,000 per year...property taxes blow.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get used to it.

It's only going to get worse as cities and towns expand there social programs and feel good agendas.

Not only that, but one of the largest sources of income for local government is sales tax. They're loosing that revenue to online retailers and having to seek other sources to make up for it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The D/FW area counties are horribly being abused by their appraisal districts. 43% increase, for me, in the past 5 years. I'm a life long republican, and supposedly property tax reform was suppose to get passed in the last legislative session. But we all know that didn't happen. So the legislators can all brag that they haven't done a tax increase, but they're screwing us on the back end by raising our appraised values. And politicians wonder why they can't be trusted... Seems like they're beholden to their lobbyists, school districts and other special interest groups.

And don't get me started on how TX-DOT has convinced the legislature that the only way to build a new highway is to have it all tolled, or with managed toll lanes...

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
The county assessors where I grew up in NC were outright criminals......

That's not the half of it. We, as simple homeowners, bear the tax burden for the politically connected who don't pay so much in real property taxes. Contributions and outright bribes are repaid with low appraisals.

I worked for a car dealership in the 1980's and witnessed the long-time appraiser's son driving an off the books new car demo. One day a young man was observed cruising a HS parking lot. He charged through the gate when confronted by an Assistant Principal. The Principal and the AP came storming into the dealership wanting to report a salesman cruising their parking lot and bull rushing the gate with the AP standing in the opening. I couldn't find a record of the tag # but they insisted. I referred them to the owner's right hand man who mollified them in a closed door meeting. He clued me in to what was going on after they left. I suppose the car dealer was getting low appraisals on land, building, inventory including used cars and motor homes.

Oh, the son is the appraiser for that county now.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no complaints about my property taxes. In fact my homeowners insurance is much more thanks to being in a hurricane zone. Even though I live ten miles inland the costs are high.

I did live for a time in Wisconsion and noted the high property taxes. Of course, MIssissipians do not have the services that Wisconsin residents have.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Dang. You guys sure are making me feel better about living out in the middle of nowhere.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
California's (of all places!) Proposition 13 was enacted 40 years ago this year. It only allows property tax to be increased by 1% per year. You guys need this.

Property tax and abuses like this are a major - not the only, but I'd rather not get into that - reason why I have no intention of ever buying my house.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
California's (of all places!) Proposition 13 was enacted 40 years ago this year. It only allows property tax to be increased by 1% per year. You guys need this.

Property tax and abuses like this are a major - not the only, but I'd rather not get into that - reason why I have no intention of ever buying my house.

Yeah we definitely need that. In Texas, there is a homestead exemption and I believe it limits a property value to only be able to be raised no more than 10% each year. Unfortunately, I believe you can only have it on property that is your primary residence. So in my case where I own a piece of raw land, I can’t have the exemption and they can raise the tax value of my land by 100% in one year. I have to figure out how to fight this because I don’t know how they came up with value and I hate having to hire someone to fight this for me; it is a waste of money. They should not be able to do this as I have to fight this stuff every year. They just hope people won’t fight it and will pay the extra taxes. Either way you have to pay more money to either fight it or pay the extra taxes. Complete bullshit!

posted Hide Post
By law in Tennessee reappraisals are mandatory for all properties every 4,5, or 6 years. Overall tax revenue for a jurisdiction can not increase after reappraisal. This equalizes taxes every cycle. My taxes decreased by 25% this year. Thank god that Democratic Mayor resigned because all she wanted to do is increase taxes!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank god that Democratic Mayor resigned because all she wanted to do is increase taxes!

It also seems she also had time to spend with her security detail.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
same thing around here but not as high. We also get a new school tax levee voted in every year.
Ohio is becoming one of the more major tax states, depending on where you live.

7 percent sales tax, 3 percent state income tax, most cities have at least a 1percent income tax and then the property taxes just keep going up.

It would be okay if they rated your property and then had to pay you that amount for it if you so choose. But no, you could not sell it for the price they are rating it at.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the same boat. They assess property values here every two years. The last two assessments have gone up 30% each, back to back. I'm pretty sure the next one will be the same. Thankfully property tax rates in CO are modest at around 1%.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post