SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windows 10 vs.Windows 7
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 vs.Windows 7 Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I still have Windows 7 Pro on a dual boot (BootCamp®) iMac at home, and Windows 10 at work.

I love Windows 7 Prof.
I fucking abhor Win 10 and every fucking Win 10 update that screws up everything, esp my accounting program, and having to spend 60 fucking minutes after work getting live chat help from the nicest most capable raised in Georgia support person.

OK, she was a blessing but Windows Ten can bite the big green one.

Or, take it up the arse sideways, with a genuine Tabasco and iron filings lube. Electrified, reversed polarity. OH, and Fire Ants. And level ten esophageal reflux with Taco Tuesday all you can eat Hedonistic Jalapeno salsa. And really bad Modello beer. And endless NPR droning woke-ist not so subtle, mind dulling, Progressive one world fucking drivel as a counter balance. Smile

I hate Windows 10.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Aw shucks, let us know what you really think about it. Wink

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I lucked-out. MS-Win10 was released about two years before I retired. The company had just finished a major upgrade cycle based on MS-Win7 Pro. I made it known that no MS-Win10 machines would be provisioned on the network. Period.

Just about the time I retired the company was replacing their archaic MRP system (the software that essentially runs the company) with a fancy dancy new ERP system. The new ERP system was wedded to MS-Win Server. I told 'em that, since I was retiring, I would not be dealing with either the new server or the new ERP system.

Then I sat back and enjoyed the resulting entertainment.

As I was exiting they were finding out the new stuff had obsoleted their MS-Win7 machines, so they had to upgrade them all to MS-Win10. That, naturally, demanded much of the hardware be replaced.

Surprise! (Not) (I had warned them.)

I just laughed my ass off as I walked out the door Big Grin

Still haven't so much as touched an MS-Win10 machine to this day Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
That, Sir, is a brilliant...nay...epic...rant!

It is also 100% accurate and the reason I have resisted Win 10 for as long as I have.

Hell, I resisted the move from XP to 7 for about 2 years longer than anybody else in the Free World, and I skipped Vista/8 entirely!

Some days, I even have serious thoughts about just building a Linux box and telling Bill where to stuff his PcOS.

Lest anyone question my sanity, I have not, NOT EVER, even remotely considered That Other OS.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@ensigmatic - I could tell an eerily similar story about SAP. I changed jobs about 3 months after it went live at the cannery.

My new job was on the other side of the harbor from the cannery and on a quiet night, I could hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I worked in IT for 12 years before I switched careers about 5 years ago. I 100% agree with your rant! Thankfully I got out right about the time we were deploying it, and didn't have to live with it for long.

It's a resource hog, and it's full of unnecessary deviations from UI standards that had been in place since win 95, which made it a really hard transition for people who are used to how windows is supposed to work. And yes, the updates breaking stuff is like a throwback to the bad old days of 98/NT. How MS could take an excellent platform like Win7 and so colossally eff it up is hard to wrap the mind around.

I lived through the Win Vista saga, and I'd take that again over Win 10. I'm still running Win 7 at home, and even have an XP box. If the next generation of windows doesn't make huge changes for the better, it'll be the thing that finally pushes me to Linux or Apple.

Posts: 8526 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Niche market software can have problems with changes and updates to Windows. I went through 20+ years of that in my business, but if the niche market company is diligent, they'll do patches that fix the problem. At least the niche market software I used did.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Why don’t you turn off all your Win 10 updates, or at least set them to manual install?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
They tried to get the Terminator to upgrade but he said "I still love Vista babeeee.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I paid a total of $300 (I think) for 4 years extended warranty and service on my laptop. I used it about 6 or 8 times, twice for hardware.

I'm not that computer ignorant but after putzing around for 30 minutes and not fixing whatever issue it was, I just call up Dell, they do a remote, and fix my machine.

Now, I'm out of warranty. But I keep my data backed up or synced to three cloud services and three portable USBs.

But my next laptop is going to be a Lenovo it looks like as they're a tad cheaper than Dell.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
To each their own.
Windows Ten on modern hardware especially is a hundred times easier to maintain.
Not even close.
Where everyone fucks up is pushing it on ancient hardware.
But I do understand the not-wanting-to-change mentality.
I am getting to a point where I have to force my clients to upgrade as their current software (usually an accounting program) requires it.
Updates as an excuse for problems is mostly a non-problem in my experience.

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Still running XP Pro on three of my machines and Linux on another.

Even my work machine is still W7. I installed s program to prohibit the notifications and installation of W10.

It will NEVER be installed on any machine over which I have control.

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My Mac Plus is running System Software 6.0.8, and my trusty IBM XT is rockin' MSDOS 5.0, with QEMM Quarterdeck to manage that 384KB memory upgrade. Productivity is through the roof without having to fuss with constant Windows 10 upgrades. Razz

Seriously, though, I took a twenty year vacation from Windows. My last version was Win 95 & NT4.0, then straight to Windows 10. I honestly don't know what all the fuss is with Windows 7 users. Windows 10 is wonderfully stable and usable. All I hear is about how much it's hated, without any real enumeration of the reasons. Windows 10 Pro runs circles around Windows 7 in every way, especially in it's core technologies, like secure boot. Windows 10 Pro's hypervisor is superb, downright wonderful for how well it shares resources with the host system, like printers and other peripherals. That alone would be enough to make me say goodbye to older Windows versions. Or how about the clipboard history in Win 10? Stuff like that.

I would honestly like to know specifically what makes Windows 7 so desirable to some. I don't get it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've got one xppro/sp3 tower i built in 2001 with a sczi/pci card, single sheet scanner, hardwired internet to email scanned pics/docs.

2 win7Pro wi-fi laptops.

2 small form factor dells, win10 pro.

i was resistant to go from xp to win7, to win10, where i can monitor 6 different emails without going into the individual email app with win10 email.

xp won't do much anymore, win7 isn't updated.

Posts: 2210 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed and struggled with Windows since the first version came out, mid 80s.

Currently I have 3 Windows 10, 5 Windows 7 and now joining the MacOS Club, whatever the current name it is.

Seen enough Windows and worked on thousands of computers of every size, specs and make to conclude that the farging OS/computer/device is there to serve ME, and not the other way around.

Letters and spreadsheet haven't changet that much, nor data bases or media playing or printing, to name a few common tasks.

This «Alien» type of birth of the new version coming out of the guts of the dying current version is not of my liking and never does not offer, in my opinion, anything worth the birthing pains it creates.

I simply gave up, after 31 years, and decided my time is more valuable to me than keeping up with W10. Fook it. I'm done.

Quite happy with my W7 machines. Rock solid.

My W10 NUC is strictly for downloading sheit. Could be a W95 probably My W10 HP 6 something or other (another tiny cube) is just sitting there. Don't even want to turn it on.

Can't tell where they took the wrong turn but they certainly managed to alienate me. Wish 0S/2 was still around. It was a PITA to make it work but when it did it was almost indestructible and efficient.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Win 10 sucks.

Just built my current desktop machine last summer, and built it from the fastest stuff available in 2020 that had Window 7 support. Happy as a clam.

There's a lot of really zippy stuff out there that doesn't have drivers for Windows 7....took a bit of research to select the components.

"OMG, it's 'unsupported'!!!!" Oh, noes! Smile

Posts: 15021 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you skipped windows 8. You'd have praised windows 10 after that total pile of hot garbage.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Every time there's an update, it breaks my spectrometers and I get to wait months for a fix, then another "update" comes out.

If it wasn't such a piece of shit, then there would be no security holes.

I was in the middle of building profiles for a new printer when the workstation had to restart and when it came back up, nothing worked. The USB would see the printer, but the rip failed to communicate, the spectrometer was seen as an incompatible device and the company's production was now dead in the water while IT restored the computer from backup and everything had to run crippled until updates from Mimaki and X-Rite become available.

7 just worked.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
smschulz, you'd be well-advised to be sitting down before reading this Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
If it wasn't such a piece of shit, then there would be no security holes.

I'm as big a critic of Microsoft and MS-Windows as ever there was. Never used it, except as-necessary in the course of my duties when I was employed as an IT Geek. Other than the MS-Win7 Pro install on the dual-boot (Linux Mint and MS-Win7 Pro) laptop I was gifted when I retired, I never touch MS-Win machines anymore. Every time I was ever obliged to maintain MS-Win in the past I was reminded anew of why I hated it with a deep and abiding passion.

That being said: In all fairness, not all problems users experience can be laid at the feet of poor design and coding by Microsoft's designers and engineers--if for no other reason than they're human beings. Human beings are imperfect and Make Mistakes. All operating systems, all software, is susceptible.

"If builders built houses the way programmers built programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization." - Gerald Weinberg, computer scientist

Is MS software and the software meant to run on it worse than Apple's and Linux'? Perhaps. I've certainly argued I believe it is. But they're also more-widely used, which makes them a bigger, more attractive target.

Then add on the fact that end-users do Stupid Things. Even when they're told doing certain Stupid Things is inadvisable, they do those Stupid Things.

"Build more idiot-proof software and God will simply build better idiots." -- anonymous

Again: MS-Windows and the applications being run upon it being the most popular stuff, there are more idiots using it, thus more "issues."

So, do I dislike Microsoft and all their software? Damn skippy. Like I said: With a deep and abiding passion. But it isn't all necessarily their fault, and some (?) of what is their fault is, arguably, unavoidable.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I actually don't mind Win10, you have to strip out a whole lot of bullshit and then tweak it pretty good but once you get there it's actually not bad.

I like the concept of using my start menu tiles as my "launcher" and shortcuts location rather than having a bunch of application and shortcut icons all over my desktop which I try to keep as clean as possible now.

Two annoyances I do find are:

1. Win10 STILL doesn't sometimes know if it wants to be a tablet/mobile OS or a desktop OS

2. The mishmash of settings needs to be fixed once and for all. Why do I have to go to the modern "Settings" app for one thing yet I still need to go to the Windows-95-legacy "Control Panel" for other things? This inconsistency is annoying.

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post