SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Thanks AMC for killing the movies finally....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks AMC for killing the movies finally.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Can't see why anyone over 18 would want to go to the mall or the movies.

Posts: 688 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
I hate malls.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
We got a theatre 10 minutes away that has $2.50 tickets on Tuesdays with nice recliners. I don't mind not seeing a movie on opening week with rare exception. Oh, and they allow CCW where AMC does not. For $2.50 ticket I go see some movies myself that wife does not care to see.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
I don't expect any of you to cry for a theater chain. But the reason concessions are so expensive is because the theater barely makes a dime on the box office.

Not sure if the numbers are the same, but back when my Grandfather ran a theater, you only got 10% of the gross for the first week, 20% the second, and so on. By week 3 and 4 you could make money, but only if you have a blockbuster.

Movies over two hours cut into the number of screenings you can have.

The Projectionist's Union (nuff said)

It really is not the exhibitors (theaters) that should shoulder the blame, it is Hollywood studios and their business model. Exhibitors essentially make NO money on ticket sales, all of it going to the studios. Basically, theater chains are fast-food businesses with movies as a side incentive to bring in customers, it sure ain't the food. Add shitty movies to the mix (where perhaps only 10% of films make money), I can see why the movie business is a very inefficient one. The entire Hollywood film industry grosses approx. 11 billion dollars in North America ticket sales. By comparison, the video gaming industry made over twice that amount in the U.S.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post