SIGforum
Thanks AMC for killing the movies finally....

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9530098024

March 12, 2017, 10:08 PM
Lord Vaalic
Thanks AMC for killing the movies finally....
I choose to forgo the entire overpriced experience from now on. I used to enjoy going, you get the good theater popcorn, or whatever snack each person enjoys and enjoy a movie. Having to go and smuggle in stuff and all share a bottle of pop is silly. If it's come to that, why go? We can stay home and all have our own drinks and snacks and sit on a nice comfy couch. Going used to be a fun experience, when I need a trench coat to sneak in stuff it loses all its appeal.

Maybe I'm getting too old and crusty, but it's just one more thing gone to hell.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
March 12, 2017, 10:12 PM
Lord Vaalic
Dusty that is awesome! That's my point I guess, when you can have the experience at home now, why go get gouged?

And I don't understand the thinking, gee theater attendance is down, let's make it even more expensive! Yeah that will pack em in! A family can't afford to do shit anymore

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
March 13, 2017, 08:30 AM
fpuhan
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
It's the only theatres I even bother going to anymore, Alamo Drafthouse, et al. No Pepsi commercials, no over priced popcorn and cokes, no screaming kids, none of that crap. Real food, beers, and a positive experience every time. I haven't been to a regular theatre in years.

+1

Alamo Drafthouse has a "no cellphone policy." They will toss your @$$ out of the theater if they catch you talking, texting or playing!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
March 13, 2017, 10:54 AM
barndg00
I would go to one of these restaurant/theater places if we had one in our area, my wife and I occassionally go see a movie if its one we think would be worth the big screen price when we're out on a "date night" without the child. Otherwise, we'll just wait for Netflix or Redbox and watch it at home - big screen tv and sound system, homemade popcorn, cocktails, and my dog on my lap beats the theater experience hands down for me. I'd easily never go back to a theater again if I could.
March 13, 2017, 11:06 AM
wolfe 21
Local theater is $3-6 depending on time of day and 3d or no. Really liked to go when I had the time, but my current schedule doesn't leave me much free time during their business hours.
Always skip the food, so a non issue for me. Prices are a big part of that, as I can't justify a $6 soda.

A Perpetual Disappointment...
March 13, 2017, 11:54 AM
donlapalma
I avoid AMC at all costs and only watch early morning matinees to avoid crowded theaters. The snack stand is where the real rip off happens. At least the theaters are upgrading seats and providing some value in exchange for the increase in ticket prices. I do dream of a home theater one day. I envy those that have the luxury!
March 13, 2017, 02:58 PM
ShouldBFishin
Not too far from me is a locally owned an operated 15 screen theater that feels upscale with leather seats, a bar and all that - matinees are $5 every day and $5 all day Tuesday. Same movies that all the other places are showing, but usually 1/3 the cost and just as nice if not nicer environment.

When we go out for a movie, that's the place that's first on the list.
March 13, 2017, 05:19 PM
isthatasiginyourpocket
My son and I go to AMC on Tuesdays quite often, movies are 5$ off a ticket. As a matter of fact we are going to see Logan tomorrow night. I'll typically only go to matinees or Tuesday evenings and hit the grocery store and smuggle in snacks.
March 13, 2017, 06:43 PM
Jus228
Wife and I hit matinees a few weeks after a movie premieres and almost have the theater to ourselves and only costs about $6 per ticket.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
March 13, 2017, 09:09 PM
jigray3
We have a couple of locations that serve meals with the movie. The food ain't cheap, but a decent $10.00 hamburger and fries is a helluva better value that a large popcorn and soda for the same price, plus the ticket is more reasonable at $10 and I can spend the difference on beer.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman
March 13, 2017, 10:05 PM
Spokane228
I don't expect any of you to cry for a theater chain. But the reason concessions are so expensive is because the theater barely makes a dime on the box office.

Not sure if the numbers are the same, but back when my Grandfather ran a theater, you only got 10% of the gross for the first week, 20% the second, and so on. By week 3 and 4 you could make money, but only if you have a blockbuster.

Movies over two hours cut into the number of screenings you can have.

The Projectionist's Union (nuff said)

The distributors making you take 2 movies you know your going to lose money on just to get one good summer movie. Then playing theater owners against each other by giving the good movies to the ones they "like". Did I mention this is a cash heavy business. Lots of heavy satchels back then.

I'm sure the shenanigans aren't as blatant as they used to be, especially with the big chains, but the gross receipts structure is still in place.

Hence the $17 coke and popcorn.
March 13, 2017, 10:33 PM
jimmy123x
Honestly, for what the theathres charge I don't understand how they can even stay in business. The electric bill alone must be staggering for the a/c. Then they have a huge building to maintain (3 stories tall) and the real estate it's on is expensive.

The AMC by me I don't think is overpriced. A ticket is $11. It's a dine in AMC and the food is actually pretty good and reasonable priced for what it is. A good burger with lots of toppings is $12 for example. A coke is $5 with free refills. etc. etc. A large bucket of popcorn is either $6 or 8 with all of the refills you want.
March 13, 2017, 11:45 PM
Bobofbone
I like movies, enough that I put together something at home that duplicates what I go to.

The screen is 155". I duplicated the ratio of distance to screen size that I liked from where I picked in a nearly empty theater. The sound is better than most of the theaters I've been to. And, since it's at home, I make whatever I want for concessions.

The only problem is, the theater is in my house, and I'm working as an independent contractor halfway across the country. So, I still go to AMC, Carmike or the local theater more often. Saturday, I paid to have 25 minutes of commercials after the start time for before the previews even started. I stretched a bit, told my wife to wake me when the movie started and tried to fake sleeping. I did a good job-it actually worked, and she woke me just fter the previews began, and I checked my watch. At least I didn't pay to watch 25 minutes of advertising.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton
March 14, 2017, 11:07 AM
FenderBender
I go to new movies only once in a while, but I like when they do classic films and I'm a fan of fathom events things.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events
March 14, 2017, 09:01 PM
cas
I took a date to the movies, two tickets, two large sodas, one large popcorn and a box of Good and Plenty, it cost me $135.00!

Don't ever take a prostitute to the movies.
March 14, 2017, 10:16 PM
PPGMD
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I took a date to the movies, two tickets, two large sodas, one large popcorn and a box of Good and Plenty, it cost me $135.00!

JHE888 would be appalled, that is a cheap prostitute.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.
March 14, 2017, 10:42 PM
jimmy123x
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

Maybe that's all it costs when you only get a hand job??? hehehehe
March 15, 2017, 02:29 AM
Prefontaine
Nice Dusty. Waiting on 4k projectors to get realistic in price and I'll never set foot in the megaplexes again. Tired of the talking, smartphones, and lack of etiquette.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
March 19, 2017, 01:18 PM
cas
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

Maybe that's all it costs when you only get a hand job??? hehehehe

I thought it was a decent price, I mean, he seemed like a nice guy.

March 19, 2017, 04:14 PM
zoom6zoom
Yeah, I'm another who hasn't got much use for going to the megaplex. Even if the movies were any good, the clientele makes the experience a loser.
I have the choice of watching on a 65" 4K, or projected on a 120 inch screen. I have my homebrew on tap, and a Whirlypop if I need popcorn. If I wanted to smoke a cigar in my boxers, it's an option.

I'm running a Plex Media Server Currently there are over 900 movies and 110 TV series loaded. Just checked, I have 53 movies in my Film Noir folder and almost every movie Bogart ever made. Oh, and I have my system shared with three friends who also use Plex, so I have access to all their stuff, too. It's a great system. Ripping DVD's initially did take some effort, though!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.