SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    pay required for everything now... even to watch college bowl games on TV :(
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pay required for everything now... even to watch college bowl games on TV :( Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
As I've gotten older, my enthusiasm for sports on TV has waned. That said I still enjoy some. Given we're in the season for college bowl and playoff games, I'm pretty pissed as a recent cord cutter that ESPN has scooped 95% of them up requiring $$$$ if you wanna watch.

Well F$%^& ESPN! I'm sick of this shit. So yeah, I'll do something else and simply forget the annual games. Again F#$%^& ESPN, you asshats!

Edited title

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up, one of the traditions that we had in our house was watching bowl games on New Years Day.

I just checked and there is only one game on local television on New Years Day. The rest are on ESPN.

I did just watch a little of Iowa State vs ND but since I do not have cable, or any of the streaming services I will not get to watch LSU vs OU or my alama Mater take on Clemson.

After all the SJW and political agendas that ESPN has pushed over the years I will not pay a dime to watch that channel.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:

After all the SJW and political agendas that ESPN has pushed over the years I will not pay a dime to watch that channel.

Absolutely! F#$%^& ESPN!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
TuneIn to the rescue....listening to the game broadcast on radio on my desktop. Clemson vs Ohio State. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Left to right across your radio dial. At least you are spared that annoying Kirk Herbstreit.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I live , there wasn't hardly a place of business that didn't have the Peach Bowl on a TV somewhere . Big Grin

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
He lives in the Great White North. Probably broadcasting curling or hockey on the local channels.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yep.
Free HD coverage of the world or at least what you want is the future.

(Hint; Sigforum is an anomaly]

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Don't blame ESPN for out-bidding the broadcast networks. If you want to be angry at somebody, be angry at the schools that sold to the highest bidder. Maybe they once had sports programs for the sake of the sports, but it's certainly all about the money now.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic,
Oh I agree... follow the money.
Still that was one hell of a game even on radio!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Paying for a service? The NERVE of a person
/ company!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to bald1, I had never heard of TuneIn before so I turned to google and found it.

I stopped listening at half time and went to bed thinking that Ohio State had won since at that time they seemed to have the momentum.

It is quite a surprise to wake up and read that OSU lost.

I don't mind paying for services, I just have a problem with ESPN.
Plus I spent my allowance on two great knives I bought from a forum member (which arrived on Thursday).

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every year I watch fewer and fewer games.
I am paying nearly 200 per month for TV and internet. I am convinced, especially in college football, that winners are picked and games are manipulated. The teams and conferences not "chosen" are simply monkeys in someone else's circus.

I feel more like I'm watching a drama show where the end has been written and I am being led to the "shocking" end. to me it it has become a wasted 3.5 hours, several times a week.

I think this might be the year I say goodbye and cut the chord.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am convinced, especially in college football, that winners are picked and games are manipulated. The teams and conferences not "chosen" are simply monkeys in someone else's circus.

^^^^^^^^^^
Nah. That is WWE not college ball. The mob did get into BC basketball with point shaving and some players went to jail. That was back when the wise guys controlled sports book. The legalization of Sports Book has made that sort of thing more difficult.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Thanks to bald1, I had never heard of TuneIn before so I turned to google and found it.

I stopped listening at half time and went to bed thinking that Ohio State had won since at that time they seemed to have the momentum.

It is quite a surprise to wake up and read that OSU lost.

I don't mind paying for services, I just have a problem with ESPN.

Glad to be of help expanding your tool kit with TuneIn. Smile

And yeah, I've done that many times in the past. Always a shock the next day! Big Grin Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
/ company!!!!

Oh give me a break! LOL

You must admit things have radically changed over the years with regard to what we now have to pay for that was previously free.

And then what you pay for often is polluted with leftwing crap like ESPN. PASS!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
The beginning of the end for me (and my first major 'f%ck that') regarding this stuff was the disappearance of Monday Night Football from OTA ABC affiliates.
The end of the end was Krappernick's taking of the knee.
If you don't watch live sports or cable news, not much reason left to give those cable idiots money.
So I been out for a while now.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7251 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Money, money, money. Money!
The O'Jays - For The Love of Money

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
/ company!!!!

Lol I was thinking this the whole time I was reading the thread. It sucks to have to pay for things that were previously free, but it’s no different than when you used to get 25 min of tv show and 5 min or commercials in a 30 min segment now it’s 25 min of commercials and 5 min show. Instead of the broadcasters talking for a few seconds now during 30sec timeouts they play a mini/half screen 15 second commercial so they will try to squeeze in as much revenue as they can.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm probably getting crotchety in my old age, but I have lost all interest in college sports.

When I was younger, I liked watching the bowl games. Perhaps it was the innocence of my youth, but to me, these were students first, and athletes second. Technology and money has inserted itself so deeply into "amateur" sports to the degree they aren't "amateur" at all!

Oh, I know that for the majority of players, the bowl game may be the last organized game they ever play! I mean, what is the success rate of a college player turning pro? Two percent, from what I read. Still, I can't help but be turned off by the professional-level sponsorships, the latest and greatest of video technology, the instant replays, and the rest.

Maybe because even at my age (68) I engage in sporting events (I'll be running a 5K in about an hour), I don't particularly care to watch others, anyway.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
This is bullshit. Back in the day, like last week, and before, of course, if your home team was playing Monday or Thursday night football, or your college team in a bowl game, it was on one of the local channels. Times are a changing. I guess paying for internet isn’t enough. At least I can see the score!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post