SIGforum
Then or than; know the difference?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9520099534

January 11, 2018, 09:42 PM
Rey HRH
Then or than; know the difference?
Rather then just complaining about it, why don't you point out there error, than teach them the right way.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
January 11, 2018, 09:54 PM
Alrighty than. Big Grin

Q

January 11, 2018, 09:58 PM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I blame texting and the internet. People learn spelling and grammar primarily from what they read. Back in our day, people read things like books, newspapers, and magazines, which were heavily edited to ensure proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Nowadays, the majority of what people read consists of text messages, social media messages, and other informal written content on the Internet, which is not edited and often incorrect.

{snip}

Amen! "Back in the day," if you read it in the local newspaper, you could be assured it was correct, factual, well-written, properly spelled, and grammatically correct. Lately, the writing in the local newspaper is just awful. Abbreviating in text is one thing, in the name of time and data efficiency, I suppose. (I do still try to make full and coherent sentences in my texts, however.) But the informality of texting has spilled over into business and professional writing, and is making us all look like idiots. Recently, I've seen spelling errors in the "ticker" at the bottom of the TV screen during the local news. This news station is (or at least was) better than that! Goofing it once is one thing, but don't continue running that mistake across the screen, please.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Rather then just complaining about it, why don't you point out there error, than teach them the right way.

In the case of one individual in my world: they're just too danged stubborn to listen and learn.
I've tried, and my efforts are actively refused. Makes me full-on angry sometimes, it does....

- - -

I was recently handed a button on which was printed something to the effect of, "We're not perfect, and we don't intend to be. But we want things done right." It makes good sense to me. Goofed up? Okay, fine, now go fix it. Don't keep repeating the screwup!

- - -

As our informal communications take advantage of "relaxed standards," those relaxed standards in turn diminish the quality of formal communications. And that stinks.

God bless America.
January 14, 2018, 04:41 PM
Floyd D. Barber

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

January 14, 2018, 05:46 PM
fatmanspencer
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
The schools are not focused on education. They are focused on making sure the kids pass the state exams.

College is even worse. We have new officers (under age 30) that cannot write coherent reports.

I'm fighting a losing battle with them that OF does not go after COULD/WOULD/SHOULD. They also don't know the difference between then, than, weather, whether, they're, there, their, to, too and everything else you can think of.

I'm not a supervisor, but I know if I ever made it, Imma send back those reports whose grammer are so piss poor, I have to call and ask what happened. You aint ever gonna make it to the road that way Deputy.

Used guns deserve a home too