SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Micro Management
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Micro Management Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain Sigguy. Going through a bit of that myself. Constantly proving and validating things I knew before the little prick was born. Maybe an engagement survey would help. Mad

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
We have a new general manager and assistant GM. Between those two and the failing upward promotions to area managers the place has turned into hell in less than a year. Half of us are jumping ship, all with 10+ years with the company. Managerial incompetence and physically impossible goals will get us fired if we don’t leave.

/Raises hand

Yeah, me too. Except I'm a little further down the timeline and didn't jump ship fast enough. I was stupid enough to try to actually make it work. My wife talked me into not resigning until I had something else lined up, and a week later, the hammer came down. A week before Thanksgiving.

Really, it's for the better. I'm not wading through human waste in downtown Tacoma and not stressing about the kind of numbers Shenzhen started throwing at us once our little boutique cork-sniffer company sold their soul to the devil. "Oh, you want to septuple your OEM business and just pass that workload to the existing staff without support and just tell them to work faster?" Brilliant strategy.

They get to burn out a new unit instead. Maybe actually hire some fucking bodies to make the goods instead of forcing six people out of a company of 20 to work like cotton-picking slaves.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
I feel your pain Sigguy. Going through a bit of that myself. Constantly proving and validating things I knew before the little prick was born. Maybe an engagement survey would help. Mad

They have those surveys every year. When the company gets hammered on a question they don’t try to solve the problem, the question gets reworded or removed from the survey. Their exit interviews are also a joke. It’s like screaming at a deaf person.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Guys in my dept have been arguing with our managers for over a week about an issue. I brought proof that the managers were wrong. Got called a liar for my trouble. Exit strategy is now being put in place. Mad

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Sorry for your bad experience!

My method of dealing with those who worked for me was pretty simple.

Make sure they understand the job.

Make sure they have the right skills

make sure they have the right tools

Provide guidance if necessary

If they cannot do their jobs without my looking over their shoulders, they should be working elsewhere.

Learned some of that in the military, some in IBM management school.

And it worked very well for me in both places.

You know, part of what I really like about my job is that I'm largely self-managing. My boss is there for me if I need something (help, guidance, tools, or a purchase order), but knows that I'll "handle it," whatever "it" is, until i need help. And that I'll ask for help when I need it. He leaves me alone to manage my day and our department's intern, tosses a project at me when he needs help, and lets things run smoothly. I really can't complain about that! Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
The hard part for me is that during the last few years I was treated so poorly that it affected my health to the degree that at the time I was positive I would be found dead in my cubicle from so much stress. 4 years later, working part time as a substitute teacher I seem to get more bitter over what happened over time. I can't let it go. I do see a therapist once a month, but I don't think it helps, it almost feels like PTSD.

Tell your therapist it is not helping. Tell him you need help dealing with resentments. See what happens.

What will happen is that he will be reported to the Authorities as a threat to himself or others. What he really needs is another therapist with the skills to help him resolve his issues and they can be very difficult to find.

IMO what Rtquig needs to do is 1) get out of New Jersey, that state is poison. Two, relocate to an area where he will enjoy the weather, have interesting things to do, and consider getting involved in some public service projects such as delivering meals to seniors or teaching children and adults how to read. Yeah, I know, it sounds like "feel good liberal stuff" but my father did the meals on wheels bit after he retired and even though he was a lifelong republican he found great satisfaction in providing help to those who needed it and appreciated his efforts. He also enjoyed just chatting with the many new friends he met. Basically do something that makes you feel good about yourself and you'll benefit in more ways than you can imagine.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post