SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Micro Management
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Micro Management Login/Join 
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted
Freakin new sales Mgr. Made my life hell. Old Boss position was eliminated. In steps in DM. Watched me on my GPS of Co. vehicle, grills me on routes, who Im speaking to. Yells at me about anything he can or decides he wants to. Took a big account that I won. Saying I didnt do enough to earn it. That became a House account... Wont help me if I have question, wouldnt answer emails, phone calls or texts. I developed Acid reflux, vomiting and wretching daily. Elevated BP. I finally said enough is enough. Resigned on Thursday. Ive been in sales for 30+ yrs successfully.... Grrrr. If you cant manage people, dont try or pretend you can. im out. Worst Manager ever!!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5296 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These young idiots feel they need to do that to make their mark. Basically stemming from their insecurity.

You need to tell management above his head, WHY you are resigning.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad it happened to you, but sounds to me OP, that new DM wanted you out.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope, if you wrote a resignation letter, that you addressed it to your new boss's superior and not to your boss.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your bad experience!

My method of dealing with those who worked for me was pretty simple.

Make sure they understand the job.

Make sure they have the right skills

make sure they have the right tools

Provide guidance if necessary

If they cannot do their jobs without my looking over their shoulders, they should be working elsewhere.

Learned some of that in the military, some in IBM management school.

And it worked very well for me in both places.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Sounds familiar. I worked 25 years for the bank that had the most complaints last year. In 2000 my health was going down and the writing was on the wall. Over the course of 2-3 years our branch went from a tight, cohesive group to the exact opposite as the working environment became hostile.

I quit and it was the best thing I ever did. I joined a regional bank a year later. I had 15 years of great times with great co-workers. I made way more money and worked for managers who cared.

The same type of thing happened to my wife a few years later. She worked for a national company in a small office filled with 8 women. The manager was unqualified to manage and was way out of her league. A small group of women were running the office on the side.

My wife quit and wrote a scathing letter to management who promptly walked in and fired the manager.

She found a much better job what paid substantially more and we both lived happily ever after.

Sometimes change is good.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Major reason I retired last year.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I run a small business. Equipment rental.

I am blessed to have a guy (a not-active member of this forum, actually), who knows how to get a job done, is reliable, honest, trustworthy (sounds like the Boy Scout creed, doesn’t it?), and total competent.

He asks me to tell hime what needs to be done, and then wants me to get out of his way so he can do it. I do not tell him how to do anything, just what needs to be done and when I need it finished. He handles all the rest.

I am paying him way more than the job is actually worth, but I can not afford to pay him what he is worth.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that happened to you. IMO managers who claim they don't micro manage seem to the worst offenders that do micro manage.
I worked in a municipal utilities authority. First 5 years where the best years of my working life. Politics changed and along with that the Executive Director that I directly worked for was pushed out the door. The new E.D. came in and gave the company a speech about how everyone over the next year would be evaluated. In the mean time I went from being a project manager to the Regulatory Compliance and Safety Officer. E.D. stated I should know regulations better than the Feds and State regulators. Every letter, every safety gear purchase was gone over with a fine tooth comb before being approved. And, I was still a project manager who would sometimes be in the field for 2 months at a time. We had 52 sites that I was responsible for safety and make sure we were in compliance for water/sewer regulations. I was not the only one this was happening to. The E.D. and his assistant did this to groups of 3 people, rotating who they would give a hard time to for a month, then move on to the next person. After the group of 3 had enough and find another job, they would start on the next group of 3. I was in the 3rd group, all of us left. After we left it continued until all the original administration staff was gone and replaced by the E.D.'s friends or ex colleagues.
When I took my payout and left, I thought I could easily find another job in the private sector, but at the time being 62, no one wanted to hire for a half way decent wage when they could hire a just graduated student for a fraction of the cost and teach them on the job. I get that, it does make sense, why hire someone that you know will leave in 5-7 years.

The hard part for me is that during the last few years I was treated so poorly that it affected my health to the degree that at the time I was positive I would be found dead in my cubicle from so much stress. 4 years later, working part time as a substitute teacher I seem to get more bitter over what happened over time. I can't let it go. I do see a therapist once a month, but I don't think it helps, it almost feels like PTSD.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hard part for me is that during the last few years I was treated so poorly that it affected my health to the degree that at the time I was positive I would be found dead in my cubicle from so much stress. 4 years later, working part time as a substitute teacher I seem to get more bitter over what happened over time. I can't let it go. I do see a therapist once a month, but I don't think it helps, it almost feels like PTSD.

Tell your therapist it is not helping. Tell him you need help dealing with resentments. See what happens.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have been gone 6 years and it still is in my dreams. I know what you mean. My mantra was I was NOT gonna die on the job

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
quote:

I have been gone 6 years and it still is in my dreams. I know what you mean. My mantra was I was NOT gonna die on the job
Waking up in the middle of the night with your heart pounding thru your chest, anxiety attacks just waiting for the next time your going to be yelled at. I feel for anyone who has had to deal with it. My wife told me to leave immediatly as she was experiencing my health decline, jumpiness, you name it. Im taking a bit of time off to breath. Then search for a job. Im lucky my wife supports me and said id rather have you with no money then you being dead. I was working 12 hrs/day. this fall I was going in on weekends. MGR told me I had to be on the road during the day and do paperwork on my time. (nights) then he yelled at me that I was just driving around during the day. I took a week off this falk and still went in to the office 2 days to get paperwork/jobs in. Oh yea, I was called lazy...

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5296 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is wise. I was there 32 years and the last few erased all the good memories. If you can get out, you should. Everyday I felt it could have been my last

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
To the OP:

I feel you. In fact 2 weeks ago I literally walked off a job because it got so bad.

It never gets better. Sorry you are going thru this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I hope, if you wrote a resignation letter, that you addressed it to your new boss's superior and not to your boss.

Agree!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
quote:

Waking up in the middle of the night with your heart pounding thru your chest, anxiety attacks just waiting for the next time your going to be yelled at. I feel for anyone who has had to deal with it. My wife told me to leave immediatly as she was experiencing my health decline, jumpiness, you name it. Im taking a bit of time off to breath. Then search for a job. Im lucky my wife supports me and said id rather have you with no money then you being dead. I was working 12 hrs/day. this fall I was going in on weekends. MGR told me I had to be on the road during the day and do paperwork on my time. (nights) then he yelled at me that I was just driving around during the day. I took a week off this falk and still went in to the office 2 days to get paperwork/jobs in. Oh yea, I was called lazy...

I still have nightmares at least once or twice a week. I wake up freaked out and can't get to sleep.
I have told this to my therapist and he has one of my Ex bosses as a patient. On more than one occasion I have walked out of his office to find my Ex Boss sitting there waiting for his session. Talk about reliving a nightmare! It is not the therapists fault, the receptionist will schedule this person even after being told not to have us in the building at the same time.

The two bosses would bring you into the office for a talk about a project (so you thought) and then take turns hammering you for an hour, cursing at you, one time threw his pen so hard it stuck into the wall. Being a government worker (civil service) I would expect to have some support from the state, never! They don't want to have to leave their office and listen to you or see your documentation on what happened. All Administration staff where told we were privy to confidential information and it would be a conflict to be in the union, so we should quit the union and be protected by the Civil Service. All that left the union are now gone, not by their own choice.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I feel like there should be a Sigforum support group for the people in this thread relating about their work woes. And I'm not kidding; BTDT on everything that has been brought up.

But I'm in a better place now and I hope those dealing with it will get to a good place also.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
We have a new general manager and assistant GM. Between those two and the failing upward promotions to area managers the place has turned into hell in less than a year. Half of us are jumping ship, all with 10+ years with the company. Managerial incompetence and physically impossible goals will get us fired if we don’t leave.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is stressful being self-employed, but when I read posts like this and remember the screaming assholes I had to deal with in the US Canoe Club, I just smile and thank my lucky stars for my current stresses.

Good people do exist, and I hope you find some to work with.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I manage several people in several different units. I try to allow the "leaders" in each unit manage their unit as they see fit. As long as the workers are happy and productive, I don't meddle. When I took over this position, I had to put pressure on one team leader because he simply didn't follow instructions and his unit was a mess.
He went to another unit and messed that one up as well before he retired.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post